Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
381 - 398 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
This is shockingly correct. And it will not have the rack steering. I loved my 800 for the torque and hated the wife's 600 for having none... I love my 900T XRS for the fun of sqeezing the flipper being irresponsible. Hek, I am 59 and love my tunnel hull boats and constantly say it s not a good day on lake unless you hit 100.

That said the 900 na is faster than many realize. I have access to big trails like Quebec but most don't. When I ride regular trails the 900 na is always with me even with its crappy shocks.

Many think modded Harleys with loud exhausts are fast. They aren't, they just "feel" that way. The 900 na is too smooth for many to appreciate its trail ability.

A home run is an XRS 900 na. More would be happy with it than they could imagine. If skidoo had sales issues (lol), a 900 na XRS could bail them out.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk
I totally agree with you about the XRS 900NA, I just didn't have the stones to mention it (wait for it - the haters are going to hate on that one!). A lot of 900NA fan have indicated a desire for an X package.

It will be interesting to see if Ski-Doo puts the T130 in the X or XRS next year. That may pull a lot of 900NA fans into those packages (after ours are worn out at 30,000 miles or 25 years, whichever comes first) just to get something close to the NA. My guess is X yes, XRS no, similar to the 600R Renegade being only offered as an X and not a Renegade XRS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Yikes I forgot there was the 600R XRS competition package. Is that what you ordered? No e-start? That looks like a very cool sled!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Yes, no e-start. I don't know if it'll be cool but I am curious to compare the handling of the 600R to the other G4 Reneges I've ridden (900 and 850). The 600R will be roughly 30 pounder lighter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Nice buy! Will watch for updates from you on that, that was one of the most interesting and exciting news sleds they released this year. That thing should be a trail scalpel.

·
Super Moderator
29,427 Posts
Answers above, highly variable year to year and day to day as I'm sure it is with many. Our snowmobiling is from our cabin, we drive 2.5 hours to get there on weekends, not there every weekend. It isn't all about snowmobiling for us, we do a lot of walking, some snowshoeing, and I do a lot of fishing. Cold days it's fishing for lake trout, warmer days it's snowmobiling.
Thanks for the info. With that riding style I can see why the 900NA is a good choice for you.

For comparison I'll do 100 miles after work and before supper.
A typical Saturday or Sunday is 200+ miles and I'll be home before noon. I'm always home before noon on the weekends - I hate traffic.
If I get a minute for a quick ride Friday after work I'll have 550+ miles on before noon on Sunday.
Last season was short and we had some family stuff going on, I only got 2026 miles in. My best season was 4,100 miles, 3000 is more typical. I retire next week so that may go up.

The point is, once again, for you the 900NA is a no compromise snowmobile. At this point in my life for me it would be. Heck until I got my 900T dialed in it wasn't enough for me. I came darn close to trading it back in on another 850.
As with everything in life, there is no one right answer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Thanks MX-Z Man, interesting. When I first started reading your post I thought you were heading for a 6,000+ mi average season. 100 mi after work and before supper plus 550 mi weekends including Fridays approaches 950 mi per week, but if your average miles per year is around 3,000 that's like 187 mi per week if you have 16 weeks of riding. Makes sense, you didn't say you rode every day after work or every weekend.

But it sounds like when you ride you give'er flat out. And congrats on retirement!

I had a look around used snowmobiles here in my province, then in Ontario, and in Michigan, just to see what average miles actually are. My guess was 500 per year based on actual sled miles on used sleds. I took a sample of 10 sleds here and smaller samples in those other areas - so this is by no means scientific, just wanted to get a feel for mileage averages. Here the average was 693 mi per year; Ontario was 940, Michigan was 620. Cruised around a bit to see if this seemed representative and concluded these kinds of mileages seemed pretty typical per year.

Around here, 1,000 mi per year would be higher than average for sure, a 10-year old sled (2011) with 10,000 miles would be rare.

I do think we should celebrate low mileage riders as well as high milers. I mentioned earlier we had quite a few 300 mi seasons, people get busy and have other priorities, 2-strokes are no fun to ride long distances (sorry, cheap shot and just in fun!), and those family-focused sledding days are never 100mi days, they are sometimes 10 and 20 mi days. It takes a lot of 15 mile days (usually including a hot dog roast) to get to 300 miles.

ps I hope mike0chek doesn't see this, he put like 16,500 miles on a 2019 BC850.....

·
Super Moderator
29,427 Posts
Thanks MX-Z Man, interesting. When I first started reading your post I thought you were heading for a 6,000+ mi average season. 100 mi after work and before supper plus 550 mi weekends including Fridays approaches 950 mi per week, but if your average miles per year is around 3,000 that's like 187 mi per week if you have 16 weeks of riding. Makes sense, you didn't say you rode every day after work or every weekend.

But it sounds like when you ride you give'er flat out. And congrats on retirement!

I had a look around used snowmobiles here in my province, then in Ontario, and in Michigan, just to see what average miles actually are. My guess was 500 per year based on actual sled miles on used sleds. I took a sample of 10 sleds here and smaller samples in those other areas - so this is by no means scientific, just wanted to get a feel for mileage averages. Here the average was 693 mi per year; Ontario was 940, Michigan was 620. Cruised around a bit to see if this seemed representative and concluded these kinds of mileages seemed pretty typical per year.

Around here, 1,000 mi per year would be higher than average for sure, a 10-year old sled (2011) with 10,000 miles would be rare.

I do think we should celebrate low mileage riders as well as high milers. I mentioned earlier we had quite a few 300 mi seasons, people get busy and have other priorities, 2-strokes are no fun to ride long distances (sorry, cheap shot and just in fun!), and those family-focused sledding days are never 100mi days, they are sometimes 10 and 20 mi days. It takes a lot of 15 mile days (usually including a hot dog roast) to get to 300 miles.

ps I hope mike0chek doesn't see this, he put like 16,500 miles on a 2019 BC850.....
Having a job I don't ride every day after work, actually it's a rare occasion when I can. That should be changing!

Thanks for the congrats and yeah, when I ride I ride. Thats part of the reason I hate traffic. It's also why I go early - I don't want to ruin anyone else day either.

When I come on to a large group or a slow family riding it's wicked mixed emotions. I love the fact they're out riding, I absolutely hate the fact they're running at 25MPH plugging up the trail - but that is 100% on me. They have every right to do what they're doing and if I don't like it too flippin bad, so I've adjusted MY riding times. So far it seems like a win for everyone.

I do pretty much ride every weekend, although sometimes there are other priorities. As short as last season was I missed a week with the flu (or was it Covid???). I also miss another weekend when we head to camp. That used to be a snowmobile trip, now we just go up to enjoy a campfire and a few beers. I also have a wife and kids, grown, but they still need Dad stuff from time to time. It's also been a while since we've had a good 16 weeks of riding time. I'd say more like 10 would be closer.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Other 900NA fans please chime in, would love to hear about your typical sledding days.

Just under 6 months until we get snow here........
prior to 2016 I was all 600 two strokes riding 2500 a season in Quebec and Northern VT/NH. I was still working. In no snow 2016 bought 900 na Blizzard. Immediately did 2 trips to Quebec Gaspe and another out of Quebec City.
I retired and moved trailside in 2018 only having 900 na so bought a low mileage 2012 Mxz tnt 600 etecs. Between both did 6000 miles without trying all in VT & NH. Last year gambled on 600 EFI BC which was surprisingly fun. My friend who had a tuned turbo 1200 and BC XRS 850 and a 900 na ordered one too. We will ride anything. My trips consist of day or night scoots less than 100 miles or with friends over to NH or Maine. Before the border closed, we could cross in 3 places. I split my time between my 2 & 4 stroke. The Blizzard has 12k now, a two up seat and it's a great sled to lend out to friends when they come visit. Next season I checked a 600r mxz x so will see how that fits into the fleet.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
you do realize it will take 40 to 50 years at 500 miles a season to get 20 to 30 thousand miles
I had to find this again and I'm not sure who it was directed at. But I do fall into this 500 mile per season category. I should clarify... When you have 7 snowmobiles it is hard to determine which one to drive.

The three 900 aces will get the 500 miles. Those we do local trails and trailer 4 hours for longer periods 160 in one day.

Then the two 2002, 2003 MXz 600 2-strokes get about 100 each. Those currently have about 3500 total miles each. My dad bought one new. We also let visitors drive them.

Then there is a 1995 380 fan that gets driven about 50 miles. The kids and visitors enjoy it.

And the snowmobile that got me started on this sport. Actually not the exact one which was a 1976 MotoSki Nuvik 340. This one is a 1978 skidoo Olympique 340. I bought it several years ago and now my daughter drives. She will be 10 this year and has learned quite a bit the last 4 or so years. I let her drive it by herself on the property and lake. Or with my help down the trail about 10 miles to the vintage show. I think she put on about 40 miles last season by her self. Following me around the lake and seeing the enjoyment it gives her with the other vintage sleds is priceless.

So it may take is 50 years to get to 30000 miles. But when you have 7 snowmobiles to split up how do you calculate that? We drive them all as much as we can to keep them working. I have taken the older sleds on 100 mile rides. I don't care to since we have the newer 900 aces. Each one has their own purpose and enjoyment. I don't really care about how many miles or how many years it will take. Just as long as the people in our group is out having fun and safely returns... That is what matters to me.

Actually adding all these miles up equates to quite a fair amount of total miles. With the lack of snow we have been getting and other priorities.

I'll have to take the 340 for a rip with someone else on a 900 ace. It's not the HP but how much you lean... This will stir the pot in sure!

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,646 Posts
I had to find this again and I'm not sure who it was directed at. But I do fall into this 500 mile per season category. I should clarify... When you have 7 snowmobiles it is hard to determine which one to drive.

The three 900 aces will get the 500 miles. Those we do local trails and trailer 4 hours for longer periods 160 in one day.

Then the two 2002, 2003 MXz 600 2-strokes get about 100 each. Those currently have about 3500 total miles each. My dad bought one new. We also let visitors drive them.

Then there is a 1995 380 fan that gets driven about 50 miles. The kids and visitors enjoy it.

And the snowmobile that got me started on this sport. Actually not the exact one which was a 1976 MotoSki Nuvik 340. This one is a 1978 skidoo Olympique 340. I bought it several years ago and now my daughter drives. She will be 10 this year and has learned quite a bit the last 4 or so years. I let her drive it by herself on the property and lake. Or with my help down the trail about 10 miles to the vintage show. I think she put on about 40 miles last season by her self. Following me around the lake and seeing the enjoyment it gives her with the other vintage sleds is priceless.

So it may take is 50 years to get to 30000 miles. But when you have 7 snowmobiles to split up how do you calculate that? We drive them all as much as we can to keep them working. I have taken the older sleds on 100 mile rides. I don't care to since we have the newer 900 aces. Each one has their own purpose and enjoyment. I don't really care about how many miles or how many years it will take. Just as long as the people in our group is out having fun and safely returns... That is what matters to me.

Actually adding all these miles up equates to quite a fair amount of total miles. With the lack of snow we have been getting and other priorities.

I'll have to take the 340 for a rip with someone else on a 900 ace. It's not the HP but how much you lean... This will stir the pot in sure!
Over the years I've had dozens of sleds for the kids and guests to ride but what does this have to do with the 900na being "no compromise "?

And throw a turbo or 850 in the mix and your choice would be easy on those longer days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Over the years I've had dozens of sleds for the kids and guests to ride but what does this have to do with the 900na being "no compromise "?

And throw a turbo or 850 in the mix and your choice would be easy on those longer days.
What does the 850 have to do with this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·

Z7*, maybe you need to get more sleep. We’re sled heads talking about how we ride our NAs. If that doesn’t pass your high standards of what we can post, call the DOOTalk police. We are nicely on topic.

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,646 Posts
Z7*, maybe you need to get more sleep. We’re sled heads talking about how we ride our NAs. If that doesn’t pass your high standards of what we can post, call the DOOTalk police. We are nicely on topic.
Or maybe you should have posted this in the correct forum...

No compromise is laughable 😂😂

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Yeah, the Moderators have been harping on me about that.

Oh, sorry, actually now that I think of it they’ve been contributing to the post.

Again, we’re good. Thanks though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Thank you all, it is great to hear about your 900NA experiences and how your ride your sleds, it is very interesting to get a better understanding. I don't take a lot of pictures when we ride but below are a few from my first 100+ mi run on my NA. Ended up about 120 miles, trails were typically like what you see below, involved a stop for gas (I didn't need) and a Coke (I did need), then a warm-up/lunch at my ice hut we keep about 35 miles from our cabin.

As far as 'build', this Enduro is stock with basic options. It's a '20 with tunnel scratchers, high windshield (non-adjustable), forward adjustable bar riser (love it), skid plate, HD rear bumper, and USB port in the glove box. The '20s didn't have helmet plugs so added that but most other years on Enduros they were standard. Half the reason I added the HD rear bumper is it is much lower than the standard bumper, so is easier to use a track stand.

As far as the tree across the trail, I went around this particular fallen tree, but encountered about 5 more on this trip that were smaller and had to be moved. You just never know what will be around the next corner.

This was one of those memorable trips, even though it was solo. No stress, felt like I had all day, trails were in great shape mostly with a fresh dusting of snow, cruised for portions and ripped for portions.

Number of compromises encountered: 0. What a great day.

Sky Snow Automotive tire Tree Bag

Snowmobile Snow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Slope

Sky Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Cloud

381 - 398 of 398 Posts