Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry the 900 has too many compromises for me. It's pretty slow and doesn't sound good at all. My cousin sold his this spring because his wife refused to ride it. It took him driving a 15 year old 2-stroke to remember that sleds are supposed to be fun.

I don't like to rain on parades but I was suckered into buying a 900 after reading all of the positive reviews on this site. I wish I could have tried it first. I would have returned it for a 600R.
I totally disagree with you mile9c1 but respect that everybody is entitled to their opinion. I've been watching this site for a long time and there are very few who post a negative perspective of the 900 ACE NA.

I do agree that test drives are key, especially before buying a new one. Buying used comes with a lot less risk of losing money, if you know prices.

Strong advice for anybody test driving a 900 ACE NA - if you're used to driving a 2-stroke, you are used to spending a lot of trail time in the first half of the throttle. The iTC is not set up like that. It is calibrated so you have a lot of modulation in the first half, at slow speeds. At trail speeds you're into the second half of the throttle, that's where the fun begins. You have to think, "drive it like you stole it", and you'll never look back.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry the 900 has too many compromises for me. It's pretty slow and doesn't sound good at all. My cousin sold his this spring because his wife refused to ride it. It took him driving a 15 year old 2-stroke to remember that sleds are supposed to be fun.

I don't like to rain on parades but I was suckered into buying a 900 after reading all of the positive reviews on this site. I wish I could have tried it first. I would have returned it for a 600R.
Its all in the eye of the beholder. The 900 n/a is not for everyone, but neither is a 850. It all depends on what kind of rider you are and where you ride. It shouldn't matter what the next rider has at the end of the day, as long as everyone is enjoying their time out there. I ride a 900t currently and have had 3 1200's before this one. I rode a 900 n/a when I had a 1200 and was actually surprised what it had. It wasn't enough for me but I had to be honest about it too.
But this 900 n/a, I feel I'll speak for a few others here along with my dad's argument, needs a package that's more then just an Adrenaline or Enduro. Why not an X and scrap the Adrenaline? Not everyone wants to put better shocks on then what a X offers anyways. And not everyone wants an Enduro with the air ride. My dad did make this suggestion to Skidoo and they basically said they would table it. My dad traded his 900t in this spring and ordered a 600R Renegade X because he didn't want what the 900 n/a was offered in. I just don't see what the dilemma is to just make an X package in the 900 n/a for those who just want a bit better then a Adrenaline. I honestly feel as watered down as the X's are already, Skidoo could just scrap the Adrenaline all together so everyone could at least have a better gauge and the adjustable riser. That's a bonus alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Its all in the eye of the beholder. The 900 n/a is not for everyone, but neither is a 850. It all depends on what kind of rider you are and where you ride. It shouldn't matter what the next rider has at the end of the day, as long as everyone is enjoying their time out there. I ride a 900t currently and have had 3 1200's before this one. I rode a 900 n/a when I had a 1200 and was actually surprised what it had. It wasn't enough for me but I had to be honest about it too.
But this 900 n/a, I feel I'll speak for a few others here along with my dad's argument, needs a package that's more then just an Adrenaline or Enduro. Why not an X and scrap the Adrenaline? Not everyone wants to put better shocks on then what a X offers anyways. And not everyone wants an Enduro with the air ride. My dad did make this suggestion to Skidoo and they basically said they would table it. My dad traded his 900t in this spring and ordered a 600R Renegade X because he didn't want what the 900 n/a was offered in. I just don't see what the dilemma is to just make an X package in the 900 n/a for those who just want a bit better then a Adrenaline. I honestly feel as watered down as the X's are already, Skidoo could just scrap the Adrenaline all together so everyone could at least have a better gauge and the adjustable riser. That's a bonus alone.

As much as I like my 900 Adrenaline the 200 mph speedometer leaves a lot to be desired. Probably one of the worst speedometers that I have had in the last 30 of the 48 years that I have been riding. That said, I have a gps mount on the glove box extension and the gps is as easy to read as the deluxe gage on the Enduro and its more accurate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I totally agree with you FordFan, I wish the 900 ACE was offered in an X, this motor deserves to be offered in an X. We ordered a '22 Enduro 900 NA to replace my wife's 2015 Ardrenaline, and almost certainly would have gone for an X with an Ice Ripper over the Enduro if it was available.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
This eng package is the only one doo makes that interests me at this point but they screwed it up by only offering it on long tracks, I’d like a 129 x

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Found a good deal on a 14 900 renegade at end of last season. Never rode a 4 stroke and wanted to try it. Still not sure what I'll think as I only got to put 120 miles on before snow melted. Its definitely fun till 60 but Ive never ridden a sled that was so affected by warmer outside temps. Struggled to hit 80 on the speedo and that was with Bars clutch mods. I ordered a full cudney kit to give it a shot this winter. The smoothness and quiet sure is awesome though, I can definitely see how the ITC is so much of sticking point for a lot of guys. I don't hate it but dont really like it, to me sport mode is the only mode I use, I absolutely cant stand standard or eco. But again only got one weekend of riding out of it. Hoping I really like it this winter.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
love my 16 Blizzard 900 na. Sitting at 12k miles Gas and Go. It's a 129 & been everywhere from twisty turns in VT to several backpack trips to Quebec. My friend who guides has 18k on his 16 Enduro. He swapped the shocks out & changed e-reverse to manual & did Bar clutching. That thing is awesome. Neither of ours have let us down.
Also have a 600EFI BC that was super last season. Both of those sleds are keepers in the fleet. I am not interested in 850s or Turbos but many of my riding friends are. We all start & finish together that is what counts.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Found a good deal on a 14 900 renegade at end of last season. Never rode a 4 stroke and wanted to try it. Still not sure what I'll think as I only got to put 120 miles on before snow melted. Its definitely fun till 60 but Ive never ridden a sled that was so affected by warmer outside temps. Struggled to hit 80 on the speedo and that was with Bars clutch mods. I ordered a full cudney kit to give it a shot this winter. The smoothness and quiet sure is awesome though, I can definitely see how the ITC is so much of sticking point for a lot of guys. I don't hate it but dont really like it, to me sport mode is the only mode I use, I absolutely cant stand standard or eco. But again only got one weekend of riding out of it. Hoping I really like it this winter.
80 mph will be about what you will see out of it. As you know, I'm sure, with warmer temperatures the snow tends to drag any sleds performance down. As far as the throttle goes, like others said, there is a way that riding it is different then a 2 stroke. Everyone that rides an ITC equipped sled expects 2 stroke performance and that's just not how these are. I'm not an advocate for it, but have had enough of these type of snowmobiles equipped with this throttle and I don't mind it at all. It's easy on the thumb all day and if you prefer to rotate it around to run it with your other fingers, you can.

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,071 Posts
Top speed on these sleds is very dependent on snow conditions. My 2014 900 Renegade with PB80 clutch and skidoo green-green compression secondary spring, running 8000 rpm would hit 102-103 on good hard pack. 94-95 GPS.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yup I agree with above, Friday when I rode was in the teens sled would hit 90 on speedo. Next was 30 and sled could barely touch 80 and was doggy

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Doo would sell a lot more 4-strokes if they ditched the ITC throttle. Doo obviously knows it’s a problem, hence the new “hybrid” throttle on the Turbo R. Yes you can get used to it but I still don’t like it. The throttle response on my 1200 was so much better. I know I’m comparing apples to oranges here (600 ACE Vs 1200) but I didn’t like the ITC on the 160 HP Turbo either.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
900 would be a replacement sled for my wife for sure. She's on a 1200 GSX now and loves it. 900 is not enough ''steam'' for me but that's another story.

No more 2 strokes for me for primary rides, traded my last 2 strokes, 600 SDI sleds, before the rings went for my 1200's.

It's enough work maintaining the skids and chassis, I do not want to wrench on or worry about motors anymore.

I like my piston ring compressor and pin removal tools being dusty/dirty.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Most sleds do not like warmer temps! The 900 N.A. Performs it's best at below O temps, huge difference in performance, set up rich.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with the OP about the 900 ACE. We have three:. 2017 Grand Touring SE, 2019 Renegade Enduro and a 2021 Renegade Enduro. All bought new off the dealer showroom in that order. I bought the Grand Touring and drove it over 950 miles in two seasons. Bought the 2019 for my wife while I had our daughter in the Grand Touring. Then sold the GT to my dad. The old 2002 Grand Touring 600 mxz did well but it was time for him to upgrade. What better way to sell him a low mile one. That is when I bought the 2021 Enduro. So far I've put the 1+1 seat on (still need to with our daughter). I even put heated seat in it for her and myself something the 2017 Grand Touring has.

As you can see, we do a lot of family trail riding. Ever since we bought the 2017 GT we have been venturing further and further. Before selling the GT to my dad. We did 160 mile trip in one day. My dad and mom on the 2002 GT 600 carb. That was the time we one it was time to upgrade if we were going to be doing those kinds of trips. I let my dad drive the newer GT a lot. Both he and mom said this rides like a Cadillac with the air suspension.

The 900 ace eats up those trails with ease. No need to worry about gas. Fill up before leaving, stop to eat and fill up again. Of course my wife carried the 4 gallon linq tank not for me but for the 2002 GT. Wasn't needed but not knowing how far it is nice to have. The 2002 GT MXZ also had a gasket leaking coolant. Somehow we made it back after dumping what green coolant we had with us.

It is nice not having to worry about that with the 900 ACE. I hope to get a good 20,000-30000 miles on these. Sure they are quiet and I like the noise of the old 2 stroke which we still have some 2002-2002 vintage 600MXZ. I can get my fix there. But for trail riding the 900 can't be beat. Sometimes I wish it had more power and thought I should have bought a 900 turbo. But going on trails by the time you get up to speed you are slowing to turn. Maybe on the lake I could use a turbo. But these 900 motors keep up with the 2002 mxz 600 up to about 70 then they pull away. The rest up to 90 is painful lol. I don't need the speed with a kid on the back. And can't leave the others behind.

The itc throttle is great... Don't change it. It literally sounds and operates like a car although no transmission. It is great for our daughter. Put the green key in and I let her drive by herself on the lake. Or on the trail with grey key and ECO mode and with my help let her drive some. She likes the throttle turned to pull with her finger. I've been looking for a used 900 ace for her when she is older. I should have bought the 2015 GSX with 500 miles on it for $7000. But I had just bought the 21 Enduro. Who knows, with Doo not making a 129 with the 900 ace. She may just get one of our Enduros. Just a little big though and she has a few more years.

Edit:. Forgot to mention. When a 900 ace pulls up behind me. I love the subtle rumble they have. I don't know how else to explain but. RRRRRrrrrrrumble. Like I'm going to hit you but then they stop and idles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Congrats on the new sled Wiexpress.

I haven't heard many people complain about iTC on a 900 NA if they have actually driven one for enough time to figure out the calibration. Definitely not unanimous, but seems the vast majority of folks who mile these up are very happy with iTC.

I'd appreciate hearing how that cudney kit works out for you.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Congrats on the new sled Wiexpress.

I haven't heard many people complain about iTC on a 900 NA if they have actually driven one for enough time to figure out the calibration. Definitely not unanimous, but seems the vast majority of folks who mile these up are very happy with iTC.

I'd appreciate hearing how that cudney kit works out for you.
For sure I'll let you know. I will say Bar549s edrive mods really help with clutching. I'm looking forward to actually getting a bunch of miles on this winter. I still can't get over how quiet and smooth they are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got a 2021 GT 900 NA last year and have a spring checked 2022 GT LE 900 NA for this year. I agree couldn't be happier to have great power, quiet and hopefully reliability.

For us we don't go more than 40 mph on local trails and there is no premium gas available by pump so it was a pretty obvious choice.

So much more relaxing to ride than our older Summit 2 stroke.

21 - 40 of 398 Posts