Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
361 - 380 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
How many miles a year do you typically ride? A: 1,200 miles last year. That was up from previous years, our low point would have been 300 miles per year (mostly 20-30mi days with a few bigger days) in the E-Tec days.

How many miles in a typical day? A: Ranges from 20 mile 'spins' to 120 mile days.

How long is your day, time wise, to do those miles? A: my bigger days are typically solo, leave fairly early and home early afternoon. Lots of stops along the way.

Just wondering.
Answers above, highly variable year to year and day to day as I'm sure it is with many. Our snowmobiling is from our cabin, we drive 2.5 hours to get there on weekends, not there every weekend. It isn't all about snowmobiling for us, we do a lot of walking, some snowshoeing, and I do a lot of fishing. Cold days it's fishing for lake trout, warmer days it's snowmobiling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
Other 900NA fans please chime in, would love to hear about your typical sledding days.

Just under 6 months until we get snow here........

·
Registered
927 Posts
Answers above, highly variable year to year and day to day as I'm sure it is with many. Our snowmobiling is from our cabin, we drive 2.5 hours to get there on weekends, not there every weekend. It isn't all about snowmobiling for us, we do a lot of walking, some snowshoeing, and I do a lot of fishing. Cold days it's fishing for lake trout, warmer days it's snowmobiling.
C'mon. You can do better than that. You've got other winter hobbies too. That's cool, we all do. At least confirm how many miles you've put on each of the last few years and how many miles do you put on in a typical ride?

I snowmobile from our cabin in northern Wisco and drive roughly 3.5 hours to get there. I typically put on about 1,500 miles a year but last year was just 1,000 due to the short season. I typically put on about 150 to 200 miles per day if I'm out to ride. If I'm out with the family or splitting the day it's 50 to 100 miles. I also snow ski and play hockey with my kids. Warm days, I spend with the family. Cold days I go out to ride and put on miles because no one else is out and the trails hold up better. See, that was easy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
C'mon. You can do better than that. You've got other winter hobbies too. That's cool, we all do. At least confirm how many miles you've put on each of the last few years and how many miles do you put on in a typical ride?

I snowmobile from our cabin in northern Wisco and drive roughly 3.5 hours to get there. I typically put on about 1,500 miles a year but last year was just 1,000 due to the short season. I typically put on about 150 to 200 miles per day if I'm out to ride. If I'm out with the family or splitting the day it's 50 to 100 miles. I also snow ski and play hockey with my kids. Warm days, I spend with the family. Cold days I go out to ride and put on miles because no one else is out and the trails hold up better. See, that was easy.
I answered in detail in the grey 'quote' area, i.e. directly to MX-Z's quote. I'll re-state below, they are definitely easy to miss, my fault for sure.

How many miles a year do you typically ride? A: 1,200 miles last year. That was up from previous years, our low point would have been 300 miles per year (mostly 20-30mi days with a few bigger days) in the E-Tec days.

How many miles in a typical day? A: Ranges from 20 mile 'spins' to 120 mile days.

How long is your day, time wise, to do those miles? A: my bigger days are typically solo, leave fairly early and home early afternoon. Lots of stops along the way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been silently reading this post for a bit and have a few questions. I’ll start by saying that I have never been on a 900 na or any four stroke for that matter, but I would love to have the opportunity to try. I am curious for those that think the 900na is the best motor, comparing to an 850, I just doubt that it would have the power that would satisfy. To those that say that you can’t use all the power or the 850… I call bs. Maybe not in every aspect, but just think about coming out of a corner and punching it. Assuming that conditions are good and you have good traction, the torque of the 850 or even 800 will pull the skis off the ground or float them… will a 900na do that with all that 4stroke torque you claim it has? I doubt it… same reason I would t buy a 600 over an 850… the power delivery just isn’t there. I honestly want a sled that you have to put in work to ride… that’s the fun in it.

I know everyone’s riding styles are different and I respect that, but you can’t say that a low powered motor is “no-compromise”… that’s just laughable. I also get a crack out of 850 riders that think they are hot **** cause they have the biggest and baddest sled, the. You ride with them and they are pansies, can’t keep up, and don’t even touch the power of the 850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
My group all had 850s and I never was not with them.. The only place the lack of power is on the lake.The 900n/a is like a 600, but the four stroke feel like a two stoke. The 900 is not top heavy like the 1200 was. The 900 is great for maintenance reasons too. I ride 4 to 5 k a year. So in two years it time for a top end on a two stroke. The 900 I have had with mileage of 12000 mile show no wear or lose of compression… The motor is bullet proof and not wasting all my cash on two stroke oil…
Ask anyone that rides with me, Good luck on your 850 if you can keep up..Also the gas mileage is great too.

Best all round trail sled..

Attachments

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I have been silently reading this post for a bit and have a few questions. I’ll start by saying that I have never been on a 900 na or any four stroke for that matter, but I would love to have the opportunity to try. I am curious for those that think the 900na is the best motor, comparing to an 850, I just doubt that it would have the power that would satisfy. To those that say that you can’t use all the power or the 850… I call bs. Maybe not in every aspect, but just think about coming out of a corner and punching it. Assuming that conditions are good and you have good traction, the torque of the 850 or even 800 will pull the skis off the ground or float them… will a 900na do that with all that 4stroke torque you claim it has? I doubt it… same reason I would t buy a 600 over an 850… the power delivery just isn’t there. I honestly want a sled that you have to put in work to ride… that’s the fun in it.

I know everyone’s riding styles are different and I respect that, but you can’t say that a low powered motor is “no-compromise”… that’s just laughable. I also get a crack out of 850 riders that think they are hot **** cause they have the biggest and baddest sled, the. You ride with them and they are pansies, can’t keep up, and don’t even touch the power of the 850.

They will pull the skis at will (900 N.A.), if they are set up correctly, traction and clutched, even at 60 MPH with limiter strap in factory location, they have lots of torque and a broad power band! That is why I keep stating, ride a correctly set up 900 N.A. and you will be surprised at how they perform, most have ridden poorly set up sleds and with factory clutching. They are very docile with factory clutching.

Bob

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Comparing a 900 to an 850, LOL? My first time trying a 900 I was out with an 850, both were stock 2019 Adrenaline models and we were driving from Baldwin up to Kaleva (mostly tight trails once you're out of a rail grade in Baldwin). After riding the 850 the 900 felt like it wasn't moving at all. I know some people say it's sneaky fast but I don't see it that way. I had to hold the flipper to the bar for a long time before it would get to 80, and if I let off it took forever to get back there. The 850... it'll go 80 with very little throttle movement. And it passes 100 long before you realize it. Yes the engine is louder but the sled still has a nice smooth ride. Considering the massive amount of engine torque and smooth suspension, I think the 850 is more deceptively fast than the 900. I like the narrow bodywork better, as well.

The 900 was perfectly adequate when driving slower tight trails. It's punchy at low speeds while at those speeds you have to be very careful with the 850's throttle so as to not launch it into a tree. The 900 you can ride a lot more aggressively. I think the best sled for these trails is a 600 and that's what I now have on order.

I realize you can clutch a 900 and get some decent gains. I told my cousin about this but he was never interested. It wasn't until after he sold the 900 that he told me it was "just too heavy and the weight's all in the nose". Didn't work well off-trail, according to him.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,564 Posts
We just switched to 4 strokes recently past few years. BIL has 900 enduro na. He loves it. He Kept up with a 850 in Quebec. Put 2k-3k on a season. When go to Quebec and do 1200 in 4 days. The Miles added up on 2 strokes. Looking for reliability now. My dad Had mach z’s and F3 700 triple. 2 stroke 600’s. Past winter he got ‘17 900 blizzard na. He likes it. I have renegade xrs 900 turbo on order. Only reason I got that sled is only model that comes with rebuildable shocks. If they had a 900 X I would have bought that instead.

Reactions: origYeti

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
My group all had 850s and I never was not with them.. The only place the lack of power is on the lake.The 900n/a is like a 600, but the four stroke feel like a two stoke. The 900 is not top heavy like the 1200 was. The 900 is great for maintenance reasons too. I ride 4 to 5 k a year. So in two years it time for a top end on a two stroke. The 900 I have had with mileage of 12000 mile show no wear or lose of compression… The motor is bullet proof and not wasting all my cash on two stroke oil…
Ask anyone that rides with me, Good luck on your 850 if you can keep up..Also the gas mileage is great too.

Best all round trail sled..
A 4-stroke makes perfect sense then. They're great for the high mileage crowd aka saddle baggers. It would almost be foolish for these types of riders to buy a 2-stroke. Just like it's foolish for riders who ride around 1K miles per year to buy a 4-stroke.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
We just switched to 4 strokes recently past few years. BIL has 900 enduro na. He loves it. He Kept up with a 850 in Quebec. Put 2k-3k on a season. When go to Quebec and do 1200 in 4 days. The Miles added up on 2 strokes. Looking for reliability now. My dad Had mach z’s and F3 700 triple. 2 stroke 600’s. Past winter he got ‘17 900 blizzard na. He likes it. I have renegade xrs 900 turbo on order. Only reason I got that sled is only model that comes with rebuildable shocks. If they had a 900 X I would have bought that instead.

Sweet, did you go with 130 HP or 180 HP ???

On the shocks, if you really wanted a 900 NA you probably could've bought one & a set of aftermarket shocks for less than the XRS turbo.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,564 Posts
Sweet, did you go with 130 HP or 180 HP ???

On the shocks, if you really wanted a 900 NA you probably could've bought one & a set of aftermarket shocks for less than the XRS turbo.
180 only 4 stroke available in x or xrs. By time you buy 900 na and do everything to make it in to a xrs. Its way over the price of xrs 900 T.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
A 4-stroke makes perfect sense then. They're great for the high mileage crowd aka saddle baggers. It would almost be foolish for these types of riders to buy a 2-stroke. Just like it's foolish for riders who ride around 1K miles per year to buy a 4-stroke.
don't see your logic on 4 stk for low miles

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
180 only 4 stroke available in x or xrs. By time you buy 900 na and do everything to make it in to a xrs. Its way over the price of xrs 900 T.

This is shockingly correct. And it will not have the rack steering. I loved my 800 for the torque and hated the wife's 600 for having none... I love my 900T XRS for the fun of sqeezing the flipper being irresponsible. Hek, I am 59 and love my tunnel hull boats and constantly say it s not a good day on lake unless you hit 100.

That said the 900 na is faster than many realize. I have access to big trails like Quebec but most don't. When I ride regular trails the 900 na is always with me even with its crappy shocks.

Many think modded Harleys with loud exhausts are fast. They aren't, they just "feel" that way. The 900 na is too smooth for many to appreciate its trail ability.

A home run is an XRS 900 na. More would be happy with it than they could imagine. If skidoo had sales issues (lol), a 900 na XRS could bail them out.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
For the people who like to go (too) fast on the trails, think of this. I live in Alaska, and Columbus, Ohio has a larger population than the entire State of Alaska. I live on the Kenai Peninsula and it is about the same size as West Virginia. We have a population of just over 50,000. In the past 5 years, we have had one person hit a moose going fast and he spent 6 months in the hospital getting put back together and I don't know how much physical therapy he had. This past season we had a rider that was practicing for a race (going fast) and his brakes failed at over 80 mph when his sled hit the dirt embankment throwing him through the trees for a long distance. He has spent the rest of this year in the hospital being put back together. It is a miracle that both men survived. It was the better part of the day before they were found. The man who hit the moose had a brand new Arctic Cat and it was 12" high after it hit the moose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They will pull the skis at will (900 N.A.), if they are set up correctly, traction and clutched, even at 60 MPH with limiter strap in factory location, they have lots of torque and a broad power band! That is why I keep stating, ride a correctly set up 900 N.A. and you will be surprised at how they perform, most have ridden poorly set up sleds and with factory clutching. They are very docile with factory clutching.

Bob
Just because you keep up with 850’s means nothing. I don’t know the skills of the 850 riders nor your skills. It is entirely arbitrary. Additionally, just because you can keep up also means nothing. For some of us riders, we crave power period. If that thing as not trying to rip my arms off or the I’m struggling to hang on because there is so much power (figuratively speaking), I don’t want it. Again, I dont know the actual power of an na, but they put a turbo on tit for a reason… then went further and gave it even more power this year, again, for a reason.

I have a friend that has an old Polaris 500 and he can “keep up” (he is a good rider), but coming out of a turn and hitting it, he is in the dust.

Same argument goes for 600’s… of course a good rider can keep up, but they aren’t going to have the poo eating grin on their face like I will.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Bob
Sorry, meant to quote the post before you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Just because you keep up with 850’s means nothing. I don’t know the skills of the 850 riders nor your skills. It is entirely arbitrary. Additionally, just because you can keep up also means nothing. For some of us riders, we crave power period. If that thing as not trying to rip my arms off or the I’m struggling to hang on because there is so much power (figuratively speaking), I don’t want it.
Hey, more power to you, literally and figuratively. I hope you ride like that only when it is safe to do so, that sounds extremely aggressive. The 900NA is definitely, not for you.

361 - 380 of 398 Posts