Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
341 - 360 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
I think you guys are missing the point we're trying to make. I suggest you read the entire thread or the original post if you haven't already. I have a Vector as well. There is no question our Vector has more jam and more top end than our 900NA.

However, the 900NA stays right with the Vector in every real-life situation we've run them together. Last winter my son was up with us and wanted to go for a fast ride. I took the Vector and he took my 900NA, I was in the lead. I pushed hard including in our most open stretches. He was right with me at every step.

The main difference between riding the two from a torque and speed perspective is, at least for where we ride and how we ride, with the 900NA you're in the second half of the throttle. With the Vector, we're typically in the first half or 2/3 of the throttle.

That's what got me thinking - maybe a lot of riders spend a lot more money, on engines that are typically heavier and more complex, when in reality what they are buying is just an extra 3/4 of an inch between their thumb and the handlebar in 99% of situations where they actually ride. Not everybody, but maybe lots more than we think.

If you're a rider who can actually use most or all the power of an 850 or turbo 4s where you ride, there is no debate. Some people ride wide open trails, little chance of deer, with meticulous grooming, or maybe open fields. Those folks like that power, want that power, can use that power, it's part of why they snowmobile. If you are in that category, there is nothing even to talk about. You will only be happy with top-performance power and that is fantastic.

But there are a lot of folks who would be surprised with the 900NA power in trail situations, and if they are honest with themselves, would find they actually can't use any more power 99% of the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think anybody has suggested that a 900 NA cannot perform admirably for non-aggressive snowmobilers. It is an excellent engine, and is packaged in good trail-use chassis. But an 85 mph sled is not a no-compromise engine, IMO. I'm glad they make all different types of sleds though, love them all! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point we're trying to make. I suggest you read the entire thread or the original post if you haven't already. I have a Vector as well. There is no question our Vector has more jam and more top end than our 900NA.

However, the 900NA stays right with the Vector in every real-life situation we've run them together. Last winter my son was up with us and wanted to go for a fast ride. I took the Vector and he took my 900NA, I was in the lead. I pushed hard including in our most open stretches. He was right with me at every step.

The main difference between riding the two from a torque and speed perspective is, at least for where we ride and how we ride, with the 900NA you're in the second half of the throttle. With the Vector, we're typically in the first half or 2/3 of the throttle.

That's what got me thinking - maybe a lot of riders spend a lot more money, on engines that are typically heavier and more complex, when in reality what they are buying is just an extra 3/4 of an inch between their thumb and the handlebar in 99% of situations where they actually ride. Not everybody, but maybe lots more than we think.

If you're a rider who can actually use most or all the power of an 850 or turbo 4s where you ride, there is no debate. Some people ride wide open trails, little chance of deer, with meticulous grooming, or maybe open fields. Those folks like that power, want that power, can use that power, it's part of why they snowmobile. If you are in that category, there is nothing even to talk about. You will only be happy with top-performance power and that is fantastic.

But there are a lot of folks who would be surprised with the 900NA power in trail situations, and if they are honest with themselves, would find they actually can't use any more power 99% of the time.
I think a deer will still ruin your day at 80 mph. Might have a stronger headache at 120 though..... :) We have a lot of Moose, even pretty far south these days.... they look like horses on the trail when you first encounter them. That would not be fun.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
So you're on the internet claiming you know "the true meaning of snowmobiling" and "enjoy it to its fullest" but it's others who have an ego problem?
I always get a chuckle out of those kinds of comments. Everybody rides at a different level, and has different needs. If a 900 is what you can handle and is enough for you, great. That's why they make them. But to suggest anybody that can handle and needs more power/adrenaline/speed/excitement is simply satisfying their egos, is a bit of a cop-out. Snowmobiling to me is a perfomance sport, not much different than sport bikes. Ride an R3, then an R1. The R3 SEEMS fast, until you actually ride a bike that is much faster. And yet, the R3 is still a fine motorcycle for it's purpose. Never understood why people take it personally, or bash others that have more powerful rides. But I don't think everybody who Spring Checked a 2022 180hp 900 turbo recently has an ego issue, especially at these prices! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
We get it, the 900NA works for you and SOME other riders, for the rest of us it falls short...the end?
the end? THE END? No way! Think....... "The summer of the 900NA".

We're here all summer baby and not only that, we're going to start trolling the big bore posts and chip in there as well.

Just kidding. We'll leave the big hp threads alone. Mostly.

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,628 Posts
BTW - did anybody else notice what sled that is on the new (awesome) dootalk top banner? I can't tell.
Yup And I bet it is one of our Administrators>>>>>>Pit Grunt>>>>>>

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
BTW - did anybody else notice what sled that is on the new (awesome) dootalk top banner? I can't tell.
The 900 N.A. Rules at Doo Talk! LOL nice photo. :cool:

I repeat, when you get older and appreciate what life has to offer, you Nay Sayers will more than likely understand!

Bob

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
At 57, your still wet behind the ears! LOL

Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
I'll be halfway to 114 next week and am not even close to settling for a 900 na.

How old do you have to be?😳
Hmmm, I'm 51 now so bought mine at 49 and for our first one I would have been 47. But if I knew what they were all about back in my early-mid 40's and could have afforded it then, I would have gone from Vector to 900 NA and would have bypassed the used 600 E-Tec days. Our sledding miles per year went way down when we went back to 2-strokes. We found we just didn't want to ride as much and I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on why at the time - they were light and fun, but we found we didn't want to ride very long at any one time. When we went to the 900's, we naturally started to put more miles on per year, way more miles. I understand the 900T folks find the same thing.

What to you mean 'settle'? I'm sure most of us NA fans could have bought any sled Ski-Doo (or anybody else) sells. There is no settling involved.

This thread is a well presented, articulate, extensive-experience-based celebration by many 900NA owners and fans, of a terrific powerplant that supplies all the power most riders can safely use, 99% of the time!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hmmm, I'm 51 now so bought mine at 49 and for our first one I would have been 47. But if I knew what they were all about back in my early-mid 40's and could have afforded it then, I would have gone from Vector to 900 NA and would have bypassed the used 600 E-Tec days. Our sledding miles per year went way down when we went back to 2-strokes. We found we just didn't want to ride as much and I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on why at the time - they were light and fun, but we found we didn't want to ride very long at any one time. When we went to the 900's, we naturally started to put more miles on per year, way more miles. I understand the 900T folks find the same thing.

What to you mean 'settle'? I'm sure most of us NA fans could have bought any sled Ski-Doo (or anybody else) sells. There is no settling involved.

This thread is a well presented, articulate, extensive-experience-based celebration by many 900NA owners and fans, of a terrific powerplant that supplies all the power most riders can safely use, 99% of the time!
If that was the case with a 600. Then a ride on an 850 would bea couple hundred miles a year? That just proves that the 900 isn’t a no-compromise sled. Or has enough power to satisfy a lot of sledders.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts

How many miles a year do you typically ride?

How many miles in a typical day?

How long is your day, time wise, to do those miles?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
If that was the case with a 600. Then a ride on an 850 would bea couple hundred miles a year? That just proves that the 900 isn’t a no-compromise sled. Or has enough power to satisfy a lot of sledders.
Could you connect the dots for us? I don't understand your logic of how this 'proves that the 900 isn't a no-compromise sled'.

341 - 360 of 398 Posts