Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
321 - 340 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never owned one.

I also haven't owned a school bus but I know I wouldn't want one.
I think I actually owned the school bus of sleds. When my son got too big to ride in front, we bought a 2002 Arctic Cat 660. That was before the turbo. That thing weighed more than a Ford Ranger. It was a great sled for bringing the boy on rides though and was comfortable, got good gas mileage and ran like a top. However, I wouldn't even have wanted to do loops in my backyard for fear of getting that tank stuck in more than 6" of snow! It does point out that different sleds are right for different times in our lives. That one worked perfectly for my needs at the time. The 900 NA works great for me now but there was a time when it wouldn't have. Honestly, any sled that lets me get out in the woods in winter is what works. I don't look at anything as a compromise as long as it lets me ride.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Snowmobiling is not all about speed! Us that own and ride 900N.A. know the true meaning of snowmobiling and enjoy the sport to the fullest. It's great you need a 200+ H.P. sled (you think you do - EGO!). I have seen more guys with High H.P. sleds that have no idea how to ride and cannot handle or use what they have, just the EGO thing! Then there are a few that can take advantage of the H.P. and handle it well, but most cannot and it is the EGO THING!!!!!!! In most cases, a well set up lower H.P. machine will be quicker and faster in the twist's! Why? Power to the ground and in control. With all that extra H.P., it can feel fast, but be much slower, this goes for all forms of power sports. I do not need a 200+ H.P. sled to stroke my ego, burn up belts, burn extra fuel, break parts, ect! I as many Doo, the 900 N.A. is about as good as it gets to truly enjoy the sport of snowmobiling. I especially like the Blizzard 129" Track sled, when set up correctly will put a smile on your face mile after mile, season after season with minimal maintenance and cost. When you get older and wiser, you will understand, and wonder, why it took you so long, to grasp the true feeling, and meaning of snowmobiling and to truly enjoy the sport.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
29,432 Posts
This is a very interesting point that has been developing through this thread, and MX-Z Man I have exactly the same feeling on this stretch of trail. All of us are comparing how fast we can or like to ride, but often we're not talking about what kind of trails we ride.

I've stated many times, if I had bought a 900T, I couldn't accelerate harder or go faster than the 900NA can push, 99% of the time, simply due to the nature of the trails we ride. I've also said most are twisty, two-way and tree-lined. We have some nice open ditches that we ride fast, but there are always surprises (dips, approaches, creek crossings, etc) so 70mph feels plenty fast in ditches around here, even when you know them well.

My NA can go as fast as I can possibly ride these trails, without my thumb ever hitting the bar (well, maybe sometimes). I like the thrill of the ride most rides, but wouldn't consider myself in the aggressive rider category. The word 'enthusiast' probably suits my riding style better than aggressive.

So MX-Z Man, how fast would you go on this trail, which I just stated is the fastest stretch I can get to without trailering, on a 900T? Or Sidewinder? I usually hammer it to maximum speed then back off to between 60 and 70.
Last sentence, without knowing the trails I can't intelligently answer that question.

Locally I can say it depends on where you are. Every year when winter kicks in the deer tend to come down off the plateau and head to the lower lands. We always say during hunting season, when a foot of snow falls on Tug Hill it's like you opened the gates at the zoo as far as our deer population goes. We will literally go from seeing 1-2 deer a night to 30-40.

Around my house I ride with my head on a swivel. I could ride a 600ACE in Eco mode and not use all it had. The main trail I take to get to Tug Hill goes through where the deer tend to yard up, and that one is always busy with deer. Get 10 miles up the hill and it's a pretty safe bet you're not finding any deer. The time of day also needs to be considered. deer tend to move at sunrise and sunset. That's not the only time but it is a majority.

What we do have are some wide open fields. The field I referenced earlier in my 103 comment is so wide open if a deer came out of the woods running towards you at full speed you'd still have plenty of time to stop before it got to you.

As with everything, there is a time and a place and there is no one right answer. What is a "No-Compromise Enthusiast's Motor" to you is an over-powered rocket to some and a snooze-mobile to others. I'm just glad we have the choices we do.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's lots of ways to have fun on a sled. We usually do a 2000 km trip in northern Ontario over a week and my 1200 GSX is the perfect sled for that (IMO).

Last year, due to COVID, that didn't happen. Instead we stayed at a buddy's cottage that has 75 acres of bush. We broke trail for a week! I never touched the 1200, instead rode my 1997 380 fanner.

If I'm to be honest, I had as much, if not more fun that week than on the high mile trips.

So there's that.

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,534 Posts
The meaning of snowmobiling is different for everyone. For some it means riding to the top of a mountain. Some like to race snocross, top speed running on a lake, riding in their field for hours with their family or maybe riding trails on a performance sled.
That's the meaning of snowmobiling getting out riding and having fun.
You do not need a 900 ace to know what snowmobiling is about.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I’ve said it before. I ride a 900ace and 99% of the time I ride faster than my friends that ride 850s and 900 turbos. They would NEVER! Be happy with a 900ace. Why am I satisfied with a 900ace? Because my penis is of adequate size.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Snowmobiling is not all about speed! Us that own and ride 900N.A. know the true meaning of snowmobiling and enjoy the sport to the fullest. It's great you need a 200+ H.P. sled (you think you do - EGO!). I have seen more guys with High H.P. sleds that have no idea how to ride and cannot handle or use what they have, just the EGO thing! Then there are a few that can take advantage of the H.P. and handle it well, but most cannot and it is the EGO THING!!!!!!! In most cases, a well set up lower H.P. machine will be quicker and faster in the twist's! Why? Power to the ground and in control. With all that extra H.P., it can feel fast, but be much slower, this goes for all forms of power sports. I do not need a 200+ H.P. sled to stroke my ego, burn up belts, burn extra fuel, break parts, ect! I as many Doo, the 900 N.A. is about as good as it gets to truly enjoy the sport of snowmobiling. I especially like the Blizzard 129" Track sled, when set up correctly will put a smile on your face mile after mile, season after season with minimal maintenance and cost. When you get older and wiser, you will understand, and wonder, why it took you so long, to grasp the true feeling, and meaning of snowmobiling and to truly enjoy the sport.

Bob
So you're on the internet claiming you know "the true meaning of snowmobiling" and "enjoy it to its fullest" but it's others who have an ego problem?

Reactions: Z7* and Hockeypuck

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
So you're on the internet claiming you know "the true meaning of snowmobiling" and "enjoy it to its fullest" but it's others who have an ego problem?
When it comes to whether you need 200+ H.P. or a 100 H.P. sled, it's ego, manhood, size matters, ect!

Bob

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,649 Posts
When it comes to whether you need 200+ H.P. or a 100 H.P. sled, it's ego, manhood, size matters, ect!

Bob
I've said it before. I ride a 900ace and 99% of the time I ride faster than my friends that ride 850s and 900 turbos. They would NEVER! Be happy with a 900ace. Why am I satisfied with a 900ace? Because my Richard is of adequate size.
You ladies crack me up

How much do you charge for an autograph?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
The thing is 90 horsepower stock. If you rev it higher it makes 115 ish horsepower. People who are used to high horsepower two strokes will never be happy with it end of story.
I agree with your bold point above. If a person can actually use a high HP 2-stroke where they ride (or a Turbo 4s), this motor won't be enough.

But too many people (not you) 'think' they need high HP motors, when they actually never get to use the power.

And again, 90HP does not define this motor. Trail power is largely about torque, not HP. People underestimate this motor because of the number '90' (apparently 95 in G4) The 900NA is right there with 600 2-strokes in almost all trail situations due to the big fat 4-stroke torque curve. The HP gap shows up at top speed - yep, expect 10 or 15 mph less on an NA vs a good 600 2-stroke.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The 900NA is right there with 600 2-strokes in almost all trail situations due to the big fat 4-stroke torque curve.
Again I disagree completely. The 900 in stock form is far from a torque monster. Only way it hangs with a 600 is if the speed limit is 45 mph.

Try a 1200 or a Vector if you want to see what people are referring to when they say 4-strokes are "torque monsters". Once you get back on the 900 and you'll realize what you've been missing.

Again I am only comparing stock sleds. Not ones that have been modified outside of BRP's design specifications.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Again I disagree completely. The 900 in stock form is far from a torque monster. Only way it hangs with a 600 is if the speed limit is 45 mph.

Try a 1200 or a Vector if you want to see what people are referring to when they say 4-strokes are "torque monsters". Once you get back on the 900 and you'll realize what you've been missing.

Again I am only comparing stock sleds. Not ones that have been modified outside of BRP's design specifications.
I own a Vector. Love it. Love my ACE way more in the trails.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Are you referring to a Vector with the 1049? If yes, I got a 2016 Viper with the same engine. 900ACE pulls right with it....although it seems more tame because its so quiet. Both sleds have same track and stock.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Are you referring to a Vector with the 1049? If yes, I got a 2016 Viper with the same engine. 900ACE pulls right with it....although it seems more tame because its so quiet. Both sleds have same track and stock.
Viper is down on performance compared to the Vector due to the horseshoe exhaust path needed to fit the engine into the Cat chassis from what I recall.

Reactions: crk133

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
My Vector was a 2014 with the 1049 and a 136" track. My only 900 experience was a 2019 G4 adrenaline I bought new in 2019 and sold to my cousin whom I always ride with. I've read on TY that the Vipers are detuned a bit because of the front exhaust and Cat engine calibration. However, I am shocked a Viper can't run away from a 900. In my experience (same trails, same day) the Vector easily shows it's 30 horsepower advantage. And it's more fun to ride IMO because of the horsepower and its power steering. Both sleds are night/day different.

I know I sound harsh on the 900 but I don't think it's a bad engine at all, I just think it does "about right" for 95 horsepower.

321 - 340 of 398 Posts