Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2008, 800 PTEK Gade with 4600 miles on it out for the first time this year (not great snow this year in MI). Rebuilt the shocks and the clutch in the office season. We were riding on good snow and the Temp gauge never went above normal, at 44 miles into the ride got a little vibration as a warning and then POP, the right side crank bearing blew! She is locked up tight!

So the questions is rebuild or part out the sled and start fresh? Keeping in mind that changing the crank myself is out of my wheel house!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sell it as a roller for $1200 and buy a new in season sled with all the great incentives BRP is offering.

·
Registered
309 Posts
same thing happened to my 09 800 ptek last year. had 5500 miles when she popped. sold it as a roller for $2200.. i now own a new renegade xrs 800 etec... best thing that happened to me

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Parting is a nightmare. I will never do it again. It's not pulling the sled apart, it's listing and negotiating everything, it's Craiglist no shows... shipping parts and then the buyer complaining about the parts that you clearly described... I did it once and no way will I do it again. I'd rather bring a machine to the scrap yard for weight.

If you don't want to replace the crank yourself- out of your skill set- is replacing the entire motor an option? Would you be comfortable with doing that? Because you can pull your motor, sell that as a parts motor, then you can probably find a rebuilt motor for a couple grand I'm guessing? Is your sled worth spending $2k on- less what you get for the boat anchor motor? My guess is no, but maybe you just rebuilt the skid and clutches or replaced the track...

I agree with the others, list it as a roller and finance yourself a new rig.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I would replace the engine with a new factory shortblock. I have a 2010 renegade X with 8000 km's on it and just waiting for it to "POP". I love the chassis and mine is in great shape so I will just get a new shortblock but thinking the top end will be a Trygstad 872.

The reason your went was probably lack of maintenance on the PTO side bearing and isoflex. Every year after 2500 miles they need to be greased and a new seal installed. I have a bearing buddy on mine and just inject a couple pumps of isoflex every 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all for the feedback, think I am going to sell the roller to some unfortunate soul that wrapped his around a tree and has a good engine. will Update what I replace it with, lots of 15 and 16's sitting on the show room floors

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks all for the feedback, think I am going to sell the roller to some unfortunate soul that wrapped his around a tree and has a good engine. will Update what I replace it with, lots of 15 and 16's sitting on the show room floors
Smart move , move on and don't look back . Too many good deals out there right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts