Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Who religiously wears them, we know that BRP installs them on their mountian models for a reason but if yours wasn't or you were to buy a Polaris, Cat or Yamaha that donot come equipt. Would you set them up with one? Are you a tether believer or are they just a pain in the BUMB.
BTW, all my sleds are setup with tethers, no matter what brand.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
i use it always.Ever seen a stuck throttle on a healthy 8hundo ? Scary.I use the tether on my other sleds to.I was taught that and it stuck.

·
Registered
902 Posts
voted no, bc i haven't used it to date. I know I prob should. had a stuck throttle experience last season that rose the heart rate a bit. someone made a good suggestion though after I ground up my goggles...pull your tether when you stop, then before you plug it back in, ask "where are my goggles?"...if they aren't on your face, don't start your engine...stupid is as stupid does...lol!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Learned my lesson years back, Started sled and throttle froze wide open , Sled took off and hit my parents house, Cost me a sled and new brick work!!, Been wearing it since, but thats not the only reason!

·
First In, Last Out
2,985 Posts
I do for anything bigger than loading/unloading the sled and moving it around the yard. Anytime I leave the yard I connect it up and away I go. Had my throttle stick when I blew my engine a few years back and would rather not have that happen again. Plus I like to wipe out and don't want my sled running too far away haha.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ALWAYS wear mine..Like all I have had my share of stick throttles( none recently...Nock on Wood!!!). I feel its up to the rider...Have friends that never wear them, and thats their choice. I ride mostly trails, occasional offtrail in the UP.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
I do for anything bigger than loading/unloading the sled and moving it around the yard. Anytime I leave the yard I connect it up and away I go. Had my throttle stick when I blew my engine a few years back and would rather not have that happen again. Plus I like to wipe out and don't want my sled running too far away haha.
I like your signature, forgot I even wrote that! My sled still has that same problem....LOL!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I wear my sometimes, depends on conditions as well.

Many people I see commented on stuck throttles. The last throttle I had stick was around 1988 on a 340 Olympique. Not that it couldn't happen again.

I wear mine more when climbing though, especially in spring conditions. A sled if upright will travel less with no engine power. Same goes if it flips over and starts rolling. Or should I end up under it.

Yes I know I should wear it always. Biggest pain is, I am shorter and when breaking trails on bottomless days sometimes you need to jump off the sled and pop it up over a lip, or a climbing and are not going to make it and decide to bail, hitting the throttle one last time to get the sled over the top.

Ever ended up in a creek hole in early season conditions? Ever had a bottomless weekend that all your buddies are stuck 15 feet away from each other and you all need to work your own sleds out, digging away the sides, pushing snow under the skid, then popping it up on top. Can't aways be done with a tether on, especially with my short legs.

So no, I can't honestly say I wear my tether %100 of the time. Teth-air would solve this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have never wore my tether but next year i am going in a local hillclimb and you need to were the tether so at the beging of next season i am going to start to get use to it i just think it will git in the way when you hop for side to side when you take a technical line i have had some throttle sticks but not at full throttle so when that happens i bar it to get the track to trench and get me stuck, its worked almost every time (SO FAR)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Mine has been secured to my brake cable for about 99% of the time. I use it once during the day then stop for a bit and hook it onto the brake cable and never remember to put it back on. Knock on wood. We all know that we should use it. Everyones seen the youtube video of the guy who crashes and then his sled takes off down the field.. Thats enough to scare you.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far interesting poll and what i kinda expected.
Over the years more and more riders are wearing them, even upgrading their sleds that are not equipted but many still arn't.

What i have noticed as a guide, when i take groups out or a couple of riders, its almost a 50/50 split on who wears tethers. Unlike avy gear, i don't ever comment on it, but i wear my tether just as if its part of my riding gear. Also as a X competitive hillclimber 01-05 seasons, i'm kinda lost without it. Call it "PARANOID" if you wish, but then anyone that rides with me for any length or has riden kinda knows why i wear it. Appart from falling off, some of the lines i've been seen on make anyone a little paranoid.

The interesting thing is, in cases when i guide the one's started with out a tether, end up wearing their tether as the day progresses. Not all or in all cases but in many.
I'm guessing that they see myself wearing it or putting it on before heading out and doing this as if its part of my gear.
Maybe some never thought about it until they noticed me or maybe they're thinking its the thing todo....eigtherway it is a good thing and i do see some very interesting things and thoughts as a guide.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've lost my sled one tooany times on a pull. Now tether goes on, and sled usually stops before the trees now.

But not always
Sounds like you need to do some maintenance.. Nobody should have a sled take off that many times to make it seem like a regular occurance.. You have ice or a frayed cable or something.

EDIT: Re read what you said... one time would be one too many times.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
Sounds like you need to do some maintenance.. Nobody should have a sled take off that many times to make it seem like a regular occurance.. You have ice or a frayed cable or something.

EDIT: Re read what you said... one time would be one too many times.
I don't think he's saying it's a sled issue, I think he's saying it's a rider staying on the sled issue. Once in a while things can get a little western during a rough/technical climb and things happen.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts