Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Minoqua, WI Yamaha demo ride this past weekend. I test rode the Nytro and the Apex GT. I wanted to ride the Attak but only one was available, the other one got cracked up by somebody I was told.

Nytro-
I am a big guy, 6'3 upper 200lbs. Very comfy seating position in my opinion. The bar riser felt good even sitting. The sled was very nimble and felt light weight. Gauges rocked, easy to read, full of cool settings. Windshield was small and cold, but so what. Power was not super immpressive. I have a 2002 MXZ 600 that felt no slower than the Nytro. But the Nytro is more of a ditch banger so big power not so important. Pretty good on bumps but no comparison to my REV Renegade. Seemed good on corners also. Overall I really liked this sled, probably a little more than the Apex. This sled would be a strong possible choice for me if I were to stop riding Doo.

Apex GT-
Sitting position felt a little more cramped than the Nytro. Rider forward more apparant on this sled and bump absorption was pretty good. Not REV good, but good. Again, gauges were awesome. Fit and finish, awesome. Power was huge. Easily as much pull as my 800 PTek. Wasted no time getting to triple digits. Killer looks, this is a mean looking ride. Not as nimble as the Nytro, felt heavier than my Renegade, because it is, but was not really an issue for general trail riding I'd think. Even though I liked the Nytro a little more, this is a very good machine.

In summary, I am now 100% sold on the concept of 4-stroke snowmobile motors. They pull just as hard as any 2-stroke I have ridden. They have a very smooth pull from low to high and sound awesome at high rpm. No reason to doubt the performance of a 4-stroke thinking you will lose anything. Yes they weigh more but it was hardly felt at all. Overall, these were awesome sleds. Would I trade the power and ride quality of my '06 REV Renegade 800 PTek for them? No way. But the point is, these new Yamaha rides are very strong in all areas in my opinion and would be my second choice if I had to give up my Doo.

·
Registered
334 Posts
yeah i got beat by one this weekand
but he had it piped so thats my excuse lol

·
Registered
541 Posts
i think i'm sold on the idea... my next will be an apex rtx or a nytro... depending on cost, i've had it with these two-stroke engines... "run and repair" costs too much. I am willing to sacrafice ride for a strong engine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts