Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to test out the torsion springs.. STiff ones.. 503-189-992 and 994. 11.1 with 73* preload. I am roughly 210 before gear and on setting number 1 they were perfect for me. There weren't many large bumps but I can tell that these springs are definitely worth the 40 bucks they cost!! just thought i'd let some of you know.

Oh, ya and the Ultimax 3 belts work fine!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I tested out mine with new springs yesterday. I put in the 522/524's and rode about 80 miles, some groomed trails, and some ditches. It didn't seem to help the sag my sled has, the block is still hitting the rear stop when I'm off the sled. But the ride is amazing, this sled has never felt so good inb the bumps. I weigh 170 with no gear and I set the springs on 2. I guess I'll have to get the shock revalved to fix the sag, but that can wait for now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
saltalarev said:
Finally got to test out the torsion springs.. STiff ones.. 503-189-992 and 994. 11.1 with 73* preload. I am roughly 210 before gear and on setting number 1 they were perfect for me. There weren't many large bumps but I can tell that these springs are definitely worth the 40 bucks they cost!! just thought i'd let some of you know.

[snapback]280046[/snapback]​
Salty, are those a square spring or round? Doo2

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
saltalarev said:

The initial run of Ultimax 3's for Revs were too narrow and peeps were burning thru them like crazy so they got a really bad rep. They've corrected the problem and now made to same tolerances of OEM belts. Bill was kind enough to inform me about this and I was able to return mine for a good one.

Have fun,

G MAN

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tugger said:
salty

Ultimax 3 pull same RPM?
[snapback]280080[/snapback]​
Not sure, We were just putting around the local trails here so maybee 60mph was tops for the day yesterday.. I don't see why it wouldn't pull the same RPM's. It looks identical to the stock belt only with ribs on the top.

doo2 said:
saltalarev said:

Salty, are those a square spring or round? Doo2
[snapback]280315[/snapback]​
round and they work awesome. No more sag and this is on the softest setting!!

·
Shoooow meeee the POWDER!!
3,849 Posts
saltalarev said:
There weren't many large bumps but I can tell that these springs are definitely worth the 40 bucks they cost!!
Was that $40 total for both springs, or $40 each?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Salty

The only reason I ask is that although the actual belt dimensions are likely the same, ist's possible that compound (durometer) of the belt could be softer or harder. These variances in compound cause differing RPM.

·
Registered
541 Posts
saltalarev said:

did you change the front swingarm coil over shock too??

·
Registered
566 Posts
XPSII800HO said:
I tested out mine with new springs yesterday. I put in the 522/524's and rode about 80 miles, some groomed trails, and some ditches. It didn't seem to help the sag my sled has, the block is still hitting the rear stop when I'm off the sled. But the ride is amazing, this sled has never felt so good inb the bumps. I weigh 170 with no gear and I set the springs on 2. I guess I'll have to get the shock revalved to fix the sag, but that can wait for now.
[snapback]280309[/snapback]​
Shock valving is effective only when the shock shaft is moving. Doesn't affect sag at all. Try bumping the preload up to 3.

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
XPSII800HO said:
[snapback]280309[/snapback]​
I put the 522/524's on my Gade and the ride is way better than the stock springs. I weigh 170 and had the springs set on 2. When set on 3 the block will center between the stoppers with no rider on the sled and the ride is still good.....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tugger said:
Salty

The only reason I ask is that although the actual belt dimensions are likely the same, ist's possible that compound (durometer) of the belt could be softer or harder. These variances in compound cause differing RPM.
[snapback]281235[/snapback]​
Not sure, I'd have to run it across a lake or something to find out. Hopefully I will get the chance soon!!

suess said:
saltalarev said:

did you change the front swingarm coil over shock too??

[snapback]281920[/snapback]​
is that a trick question?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't see the 522 and 524's listed. What springs are they?? Diameter and preload?? just curious.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
they are 11.11mm 90*opening color code gn/gn/yl
preload na from chart for 2005

used on a fan mxzand adreniline

Rich

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
those are for lighter people or less agressive riders. thicker wire but less spring!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
saltalarev said:
I don't see the 522 and 524's listed. What springs are they?? Diameter and preload?? just curious.
[snapback]282372[/snapback]​
They were listed on the 2004 spring chart that was removed.....

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
nbrenegade said:
saltalarev said:
[snapback]282372[/snapback]​
They were listed on the 2004 spring chart that was removed.....
[snapback]282391[/snapback]​
oops your right that was the 04 chart!

Rich

·
Registered
541 Posts
[q
suess said:
saltalarev said:

you change the front swingarm coil over shock too??

[snapback]281920[/snapback]​
is that a trick question?

[snapback]282367[/snapback]​
TRICK QUESTION??? simple question for someone like you that spends so much time wrenching rather than riding..lol... you changed the rear torsion springs right??? the dealer told me that when i changed the rear torsion springs i also had to change the front coil spring on the shock on the front swing arm!! hence the term coil over shock!! so i changed all three springs and discovered that the new front coil spring they gave me was WAAAY too stiff for me to ride comfortably. so i had to take it back out. NOW...did you change the front coil spring on the shock in the front swing arm or am i gonna have to come and LOOK at that sled myself??

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am still confused.. I have never heard the term "swingarm" used in relation to snowmobile suspensions. Also, I think you are talking about the center shock, If you are than mine (x) has a dual rate spring that works well with my new shock valving. I dont' think you need to change that spring just because you swapped the torsions. Seems to me that maybee your dealer just wants to sell parts. How does he know what is right for you!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I too, have recently replaced my torsion springs. I weigh 180lbs, and have 04 gade. Replaced stock springs with the 674 and 675 numbered springs. I am very pleased, no "po-going" and not too harsh. However remember your preference may vary.

AKDragon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts