Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some mechanical direction...

While riding last night my temp light came on(twice). The first time was after running the alley ways through town. Ice covered roads but no fluffy stuff. Went approx. 1 mile. Once we got to the trail the light went off so I dismissed this as a lack of snow. Temp last night was appox ZERO. Coldest night of the season.

Went another 15 miles and light came on again. Shut it down for 30 minutes while my buddy rode back home to get the trailer.

Coolent reservoir is full.
Temp was zero.
Lots of snow on trail but hardpacked.

Any suggestions on where to start my diagnosis? Thanks in advance.

·
Boondocker
7,342 Posts
Not enough snow being thrown up on the heat exchanger. I have a similar problem on my wifes 03 MXZ500 Adrenaline I put a snow flap extention on so when your setting on the sled it touches the snow.This kicks more snow up on the track and the track kicks it up to the cooler.Seems to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Temp sensor thats what my problem was my light keep coming on. i replaced it and its good now. just my.02 cents. good luck

·
Registered
516 Posts
For the piece of mind put in a new temp sensor and thermostat. But I agree it's likely due to not enough being kicked up onto the coolers. I have also seen when you ride in low snow/no snow ice forms over the coolers and acts like a barrior until it breaks off or melts away. Thats why I always look under the tunnel if I ride in extreme hardpack or low snow and drop the back end a few times to bust out any ice build up. I was told that air movement alone in low snow at speeds over 25 mph should be enough to pull the heat away from the exchanger by itself. Not sure I swallow that though.

mps

G

·
i heard from dealer when i bought my 03......some have a very sensetive sensor. they actually have a resistor called a (posistor) that gets soldered to sensor wire...and its supposed to get rid of touchy sensor prob. i changed therm/seals/hoses/ cap........ridiculous ! it never seemed to lose any power or pinging though. i see my buddies sled ride on the same stuff.............at 40 degrees and never a problem. i idle for 5 minutes and i get nervous and shut her down. sometimes after warm up at temps below zero......it starts to flicker.....so im definitely getting a temp guage for piece of mind. i get tired of worrying....or worse. i was actually thinking of getting a small radiator that i can run near the front lower vent for an added cooling feature.............probably some scratcher too..........ahh there goes my paycheck

·
Registered
110 Posts
My buddy has a 2000 MXZ 700 that the light frequently comes on, but the Water temp from the Race pack reads normal. I would try a new sensor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
gravy davey said:
Not enough snow being thrown up on the heat exchanger. I have a similar problem on my wifes 03 MXZ500 Adrenaline I put a snow flap extention on so when your setting on the sled it touches the snow.This kicks more snow up on the track and the track kicks it up to the cooler.Seems to have solved the problem.

[snapback]706705[/snapback]​
I have the VERY same issue youre talking about w/ your wifes sled. Can you tell me what a snow flap extension is, where to get one, where it goes, etc? Thanks a bunch. With the lack of snow up here and everything being hard packed or ice Im always running a bit too hot for me, and Id love to solve this. I know everything else...T-Stat, Coolant, Pump etc are ok, so itd be VERY helpful if you could explain the whats, hows, and whys of this snow flap extension. Thanks,

·
Auto Tech
1,095 Posts
I know in 03 there was a recall on the sensors, they were coming on to early. You might just have a bad sensor or thermostat.

·
Boondocker
7,342 Posts
mxzx5 said:
I know in 03 there was a recall on the sensors, they were coming on to early. You might just have a bad sensor or thermostat.
[snapback]707884[/snapback]​
I have a gauge inslalled on the 03

I think that recall was for the summits only?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts