Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have not, but many people on here have. From what I have read most everyone that has used the tempa-flow has liked it and did attain better mileage. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here somewhere describing in full how to install it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed one on my 02 MXZ 800 Sport this year. I like it but really I haven't noticed a huge difference. Maybe because last year I was riding in colder temps most of the time and now this year it's been warmer. I doo notice that the plugs are a lot nicer brown and the piston wash is always consistent. I'm toying with the idea of leaning it down just a hair but normal trail riding it probably isn't going to get me much more.

I'm sure part of it is how rich the sled is to begin with. I used one on my XC700, which was very rich. I finally gave up trying to jet it properly and put the Tempa Flow on. On that sled it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
i have them on all my sleds, installed several, & they do work. but, they do require respect.

on my friends wife's 99 formula z 670 she went from 9 maybe 10 mpg to avg of 12-14 or better. they bought her a tour buddy to extend range for a large tour, and we did the tempaflow. the tempa flowed formula was getting the same or better then her hubby's viper s (which is great on fuel). they wished they hadnt spent the extra money on the tour buddy at that point.

the respect i speak of is. if you dont pay attention and lean it down with jets and then expect the tempaflow to protect you when it is cold, you will be sorry. the unit can only give as much fuel as the jetting will allow and no more you starve it for fuel and it is your fault not the tempaflows.

when it is warm, you are playing in powder packing the hood vents, or when stopping for trail breaks. make sure to raise the hood and let the under hood heat get out of there. the warmer the unit is the leaner it makes the sled. never go out pin it after a trail stop where the underhood temps rose. or mr squeeky will come for a visit.

i usually lift my hood at stops. and after taking off from a break i wait a 1/2 mile or so letting fresh air circulate under the hood to stabilize temps before i start hammering on it. sounds like i am anal and this is a pain. but it is cheap insurance for this device.

makes the sleds easier to tune as it is alot more consistant, and better mileage. follow the directions and the posts here (rev baron has a nice article about it) and enjoy yourself. ski

·
Registered
127 Posts
skidooboy said:
the respect i speak of is. if you dont pay attention and lean it down with jets and then expect the tempaflow to protect you when it is cold, you will be sorry. the unit can only give as much fuel as the jetting will allow and no more you starve it for fuel and it is your fault not the tempaflows.

[snapback]717651[/snapback]​
Right, they operate by holding back fuel so if you're jetted to be safe at -20 they hold back fuel when it's warmer than that. If you're jetted to be safe at 0 there is no way it can make it safe at -10 by HOLDING BACK fuel.

Its like the joke "I don't understand it, I've cut this board 3 times and its still too short!"

·
Registered
244 Posts
so say you are jetted for -30(real safe setting), do you still have to worry about underhood temps effecting the mixture and squeaking a piston? will the sled with tempaflow still perform the same at 10 degrees if the jetting in the sled is set for -30 compared to being set for -10?

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,866 Posts
I've had one on my sled for a couple years now. I re-jetted for -20 F like the instructions said (I think it was 1 or 2 sizes bigger than stock on the main jet, I left everything else alone, cause it's usually really rich at idle anyways), and like above, you do need to take it easy for the first 1/2 mile or so after you stop, but you should do that regardless if you have a tempaflow or not.

Reason is that it'll compensate for the warmer underhood temperatures and lean it up quite a bit. Then get a rush of COLD air and not have enough time to re-adjust. I have a friend that has a tempaflow on his sled, and he doesn't follow the instructions at all, and he's never had a problem. Although it's not like we ride when it's very cold anyways.

The BIGGEST improvement I noticed with it is my sled runs awesome at any temperature. It used to only run "great" when it was really, really cold out. I noticed no improvement in mileage when it's cold out, but when it's warm, and friend's are fouling plugs, and really going through the gas, there was a big improvement.

For the $150 or so it cost me to buy the tempaflow, I've easily saved that in gas alone over the past 2 years. Especially now when it's around $3/gallon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.