Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is safe to use in a 09 550 fan?
Probably wont hurt the sled but I think it would be a waste.. it is an injector and valve cleaner for 4 stroke engines.

Put the techron in your truck and just run marine ethanol fuel stabiler in the sled.

my02

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
I would be concerned with the high solvents and detergent aspects of using Techron or products like it in a 2S engine. Think would be inhibiting the lubricity of your injection oil and lean out the cylinders causing higher temps plus reducing lubrication overall.

Techron consists of four components:[4]

Distillates, hydrotreated light at 40-70% weight

Stoddard solvent at 15-40% weight

Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic at 5-10% weight

Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl at 1-5% weight

PEA (detergent), polyether amines at 20-49% weight

I use Seafoam (My family has used Seafoam for about 60+ years). About 1/2 ounce per gallon for normal operation and if an engine has never been de-carbon then about 2-4oz/gallon. Don't know what else to say other that it's a great product and I believe is key to engine life and fuel system cleanliness. I have sleds with over 11K miles and the engines never been touched, boat motors that are decades old -never rebuilt, chainsaws, pumps, generators, weed eaters and all run very well.

From the MFG: Sea Foam engine products are blends of highly-refined ingredients derived from organic petroleum, so each shares the same hydrocarbon nature as gasoline fuel, diesel fuel, motor oil and other petroleum engine fluids. Most other additive products can be detergent/chemical-based, phenol-based, or alcohols.

I also use about 1/2oz /gallon of Iso-HEET 28202 (Red Bottle) which is 98.5% Isopropanol (Dry Gas) to control moisture and especially when using fuels with the dreaded Ethanol. Continuous use of Ethanol fuel and you will end up with a nice layer of water in the bottom of any/every fuel tank if you don't add dry gas or iso alcohol. Can also use 99% isopropyl alcohol, depends where is the best deal sometimes the Iso-HEET is found as cheap or less but sometimes not . Yes dry gas does reduce the lubricity of the fuel however when combined with the seafoam mitigates this in my view.

I have yet to ever have a moisture related issue or carbon build up in any engine ever as a result of adding the above cocktail to the fuel tank.

My .0002

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good information. A mechanic recommended I use techron, I put some in the tank last night but only ran the sled for three or four minutes. I had second thoughts after, that's why asked the question now I'm glad I did.

When I get home I will siphon out the gas tank and put fresh fuel in. I assume the little amount that it ran shouldn't be a problem?
Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or do you think I would be better off removing the tank to get every last drop of gas out.

Thanks again for any advice.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
I would toss in some seafoam say 1/oz/gallon for the first tank with the Techron in there and ride it. No need to drain the tank.

Techron because of the detergents is not the best additive for 2 stroke engines, okay for 4S. Will it kill your engine from one use/tank?

No I don't think so but over time you could end up with more wear within the engine which I think would shorten the life of the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts