Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, was wondering if i can get some help with this, would be great!.

im changing my track on my 1992 ski doo Formula plus and i was getting the drive shaft out..... i took the chain case apart and the clutch and speedo off
and the drive shaft still wont drop out? it comes close but not enough.

ive changed drive shaft before in my 1981 blizzard and the only thing different was the drive shaft on the blizzard had only 2 sprockets that turn the track.... this Formula has 4 Sprockets that turn the track.

Any help on this Please and how to take the drive shaft out!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I know these sleds seem to be very tight in the tunnel did you pull the complete chain case off , even the back half ? If not you may have to in order get the clearance you need to pulll the axle out . Make sure you keep the spacer washers between the main case mount bolts coming through the tunnel in place as they help space & line everything up .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know these sleds seem to be very tight in the tunnel did you pull the complete chain case off , even the back half ? If not you may have to in order get the clearance you need to pulll the axle out . Make sure you keep the spacer washers between the main case mount bolts coming through the tunnel in place as they help space & line everything up .
thanks for the help , so in order to take the back half of the chain case off i have to take the brake caliper and everything off , or how do i get the back half off?

Thanks and hope to hear back

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I believe just the top gear then the bottom gear witch you should already have off as well as the snap ring and lower bearing witch you should already have off too, then there are 3 hidden bolts on the inside of the back half of the case take a mirror if you can't see them and the look at the face of the inside back half you will find them they are a lock nut as well as a a flat washer behind the nuts I believe, just remember once the case srarts to come off the 3 mounting bolts stop and make sure the flat washers if any don't come with it on the back side of this back half of the chain case , try to keep them on the bolts so you keep the same case alinment .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe just the top gear then the bottom gear witch you should already have off as well as the snap ring and lower bearing witch you should already have off too, then there are 3 hidden bolts on the inside of the back half of the case take a mirror if you can't see them and the look at the face of the inside back half you will find them they are a lock nut as well as a a flat washer behind the nuts I believe, just remember once the case srarts to come off the 3 mounting bolts stop and make sure the flat washers if any don't come with it on the back side of this back half of the chain case , try to keep them on the bolts so you keep the same case alinment .
yea i found all of those out but im not sure what bearing your talking about thats in the chain case, and also the chain case did move out about half an inch but wouldnt go anymore cause of the brake caliper

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes take the brake caliber off take both of the bolts out and flip it or tie it up and out of the way as well as do not touch the brake lever while the caliper is off the rotor, then it should all slip back on with no trouble when you reasemble, also when you are in there make sure there is not a snap ring holding the top gear shaft bearing in if it does not slide off easy it may have to be removed as well then with a little help sometimes prying a little and a bump with a plastic or rubber hammer it should pop loose for you and slide off of the 3 mounting bolts . Hope this helps .

You really should not have to pull the lower bearing or snap ring if you are pulling the back half of the chain case off if you haven't already , once you have it off it would be a good time to make sure your lower bearing the case seal bebind the bearing is in good shape if not replace them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the lower bearing that connected to the chain case and drive shaft will just come off the drive shaft if i try pulling it out then?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes, the bearing should slide off the axle with the back case half the bottom bearing is held in the case by a snap ring , make sure you have all the bolts out on the speedo side as the bearing housing holder inside the tunnel and outside witch is your speedo housing there are 2 make sure thse are all out and free on that side of the axle as I assume you already have .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the bearing should slide off the axle with the back case half the bottom bearing is held in the case by a snap ring , make sure you have all the bolts out on the speedo side as the bearing housing holder inside the tunnel and outside witch is your speedo housing there are 2 make sure thse are all out and free on that side of the axle as I assume you already have .
oh i can barley see it, where can i see it and get at the snap ring the easiest ?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If you are pulling the back half of the chain case off you don't need to take the bottom bearing out ,. Did you pull the brake calipar off the rotor ? If so make sure you have the 3 nuts and washers out that holds the back 1/2 of the chain case and pry and or bump it with heavy plastic rubber hammer should come off . Might be a couple of nuts on the front & back outside of the case you may have to remove also look closely for all nuts holding this half of the case in place .

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh so if i take the back half of the chain case off the rotor and caliper then i dont have to take the bearing off then? the speedo side should just drop off then i pull down and over and the drive shaft should come right out then right?

Thanks for the help btw, and also that picture i cant see it to good cause its to small thanks anyway hehe

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Wish I could blow it up for you but I don't know the trick to get the big pics on here, you can leave the rotor on the shaft just take the caliper off and tie it up or lay it up and out of the way just make sure you have all the bolts & nuts out not sure on the older ones like yours but on the 95 & up there are inside nuts & washers sunk in the case as well as the the others on the outside of the case including the 2 with the caliper. Google search on images (ski-doo formula chain case ) and you will find that picture and more in a bigger image . Have you done a search on this site ? could come up with pics also & more info .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea they are the same, there is 3 bolts sunk inside the chain case that are really hard to see and 2 on the rotor and then 3 more outside.

Thanks for the help, i will look into it today and get back to you and tell you the results

Thanks a bunch

PS: i have a book for 1985 - 1989 ski doo Formula Models but the darn thing doesnt show the Drive shaft with 4 sprockets just the 2 ( the things that move the track , they look like big sprockets ) , so it just tells you to undo the chain case and speedo and it will pop out. Waste of a book! i guess they changed the drive shafts in 1990 and up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts