Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictured are two 414 ramps.

The new ramp is from a set I bought for the Mach and have not installed due to the lack of snow.

The worn ramp has 3600 miles on it from the 800R.

I was considering scrapping the Mach 414 ramp experiment and just putting the new 414 ramps in the 800.

Here is the question:

Will the "ripples" on the end of the worn 414 ramp significantly impact performance? Should I just keep using the worn ramps?

414 ramps.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Pictured are two 414 ramps.

The new ramp is from a set I bought for the Mach and have not installed due to the lack of snow.

The worn ramp has 3600 miles on it from the 800R.

I was considering scrapping the Mach 414 ramp experiment and just putting the new 414 ramps in the 800.

Here is the question:

Will the "ripples" on the end of the worn 414 ramp significantly impact performance? Should I just keep using the worn ramps?

attachicon.gif
414 ramps.jpg
Seems like as good excuse as any to me, to lay down the tip of the 414 ramp a little. This is what a lot of the kit manufacturers did/do to improve the top speed of the 414 ramp.

The waves themselves were probably caused by roller wear from a bad set of roller bushings. What did the rollers look like from that clutch?

I personally would sand the area down flat again before I used them regardless. 414's are tough enough to shift out without having ridges for the roller to overcome as well.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rollers were actually in decent shape with no flat spots or deep grooves. I'll post a picture after my next draft. LOL! Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
27,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone any experience with the Fett Brothers 414 ramps?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone used them in the 414 Mach ramp set up? Experiences with them? The good the bad and the ugly?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bushings were wore but turned smoothly. I've replaced the rollers and put the new 414's in the 800 clutch. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about getting some good 414's in the Mach's clutch. Buy Fett? Or BRP?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The first set of ramps may have had poor machining and the rollers were fine. You probably did not look at the ramps when new. Thanks for sharing. By the way, that wear would have come at well over 100 MPH. It almost looks as if the arms and rollers were bouncing which would not make sense at those RPMs. Did you have any clutch issues during the 3600 miles? Clutch kit?????

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After I made the original post this morning I found a possible reason for some of the 800 ailments. Blue was correct About the100 MPH. Last week we ran a bunch of drags on the lakes in Quebec. My sled had issues, I literally pulled it out of storage, zero maintance. Loose belt... Limiter strap issues, the list goes on. Yes the 800 has some clutching done.

The sled was over revving. So I dropped the clickers.... That was the issue, the aftermarket pins were hitting the clutch cup do to their increased length. Stupid me. The pin kit clearly said do not go under clicker 2.

Anyway, I want to try the 414 setup. I need another set of 414 ramps now that I put my new set in the 800. Fett? BRP?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The first set of ramps may have had poor machining and the rollers were fine. You probably did not look at the ramps when new. Thanks for sharing. By the way, that wear would have come at well over 100 MPH. It almost looks as if the arms and rollers were bouncing which would not make sense at those RPMs. Did you have any clutch issues during the 3600 miles? Clutch kit?????
You saved me some typing Blue.. :smile_old:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
If you machine those ramps take off very little as it makes a very big difference. Take to much and you will lose rpm on top.
Define "very little". Ten thou....twenty?

Probably gonna be tough to hold RPM anyway without reduced pin weight, or a lot more primary spring?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to get some new ones. Would anyone recommend Fett Bothers? Or go with BRP 414 ramps.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Define "very little". Ten thou....twenty?

Probably gonna be tough to hold RPM anyway without reduced pin weight, or a lot more primary spring?
This is an old trick but if you like a given clicker setting and the top end drops off they typically they ground the tip of the ramp. One clicker change is roughly 0.030" at the tip.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I decided to try the Febb Brothers 414 ramps, since I already have a brand new set of OEM BRP ramps. Then if need be, I can compare them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts