Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been trying to put a tach on my panther. i hooked up the tach from my blizzard on it, and it was reading 5000 at idle. same thing with the tach from my polaris. does this mean i need a tach with double the pulse? and what pulse is the tach on my blizzard? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
the pulse on the Blizzard comes from generator coil.If you dont get right rpm,its because the way the generator coil got his ground,internally or externally most of the time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since i posted this topic i have found out more on my tachs.

my panther has a 12 pole stator, so that's why the other tachs were reading so high. i had a tough time finding a 12 pulse tach, but i got one for an outboard motor that should work. we'll find out when it arrives.

i'm not sure, but i think i found some info that said the 5500s had 4 pulse tachs and the 9500s had 6 pulse tachs

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You're onto something...what year was the 5500 your tach came out of? Cuz '82-'84's were CDI ignition....their tach was different from the '79-'81's which used points and condenser. All 7500's and 9500's had CDI; you can't mix and match!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts