Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help, have a 2010 swt v800 with 3300 miles on it and today the oil seal blew out on the pto side. The seal is outside the case between the back of the clutch and the case, oil went everywhere but thankfully was going slow pulling a load and noticed it right away as oil went all over the belt. Wondering if anyone has had this happen before? If so any idea what a possible cause could be? How hard is it to replace the seal? Hoping I dont have to split the case to change it out, the machine is still under warrenty but will cost me 500.00 to air freight it out to the dealer and another 900.00 to get it back. Any info from v800 owners who have experienced this would be apprecaited.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
That is strange, never heard of that happening. How cold was it? I've heard secondhand of the breathers icing up and pressurizing the crankcase, causing oil to take the easiest route out when it's really cold. I would think it would have had to be pretty darn cold though if it happened to you going slow and towing. That's the only potential insight I could offer as to why it happened..

As far as splitting the case, there is a removable cover behind the clutch that covers the timing chain and gears that isn't too complicated to remove. This is what houses the PTO seal. So at worst case, you just need to remove the cover and get a new seal and gasket if you can't replace the seal from the outside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is strange, never heard of that happening. How cold was it? I've heard secondhand of the breathers icing up and pressurizing the crankcase, causing oil to take the easiest route out when it's really cold. I would think it would have had to be pretty darn cold though if it happened to you going slow and towing. That's the only potential insight I could offer as to why it happened..

As far as splitting the case, there is a removable cover behind the clutch that covers the timing chain and gears that isn't too complicated to remove. This is what houses the PTO seal. So at worst case, you just need to remove the cover and get a new seal and gasket if you can't replace the seal from the outside.
It was 16 above out when it happened. Looking at the repair manual seems like you can put the seal back in once the clutch is off with a seal driver and hammer. Will have to call the dealer in Fairbanks to see it that's true. Hoping someone who has done it posts. Have had a lot of problems with this model, hopefully it's a simple fix but need to find out why it happens before putting a new seal in or it will probably just blow out again.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Hmm, no idea then. I would theorize that either it was a defective install from the beginning or somehow your machine raised its crankcase pressure. Could be a kink in the breather hose I suppose or something else plugging it up? Never heard of this problem before and can't think of any other reason behind it. Maybe someone else will chime in with some other insight. I'm curious what Compeau's will have to say, good luck with that...

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I'm curious what other problems you have had with your sled? I've got a '10 SWT and a '08 TUV and they have both been very solid throughout many adventures around the state.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious what other problems you have had with your sled? I've got a '10 SWT and a '08 TUV and they have both been very solid throughout many adventures around the state.
Most of the problems have been minor except for this one and the red hot exhaust pipe problem. The first year I broke a couple of the rear suspension springs and the suspension mounting bolts worked loose on one trip egging out the mounting holes at little. This year I have had a front gas shock go out and one of the shock mount nuts came off which caused some internal damage to the parts of the front suspension on one side. Had to replace most of the parts within the pogo style front end. My tub started melting due to the pipes getting red hot on a pike fishing trip. Last trip oil seal. When the thing is running it gets great fuel millage which is nice when gas is 7.90 a gallon, looks like its going to get even better millage sitting in the yard the rest of the year, back to the Bravo!

How many miles do you have on the two v800 machines? Any major problems? Saw your guys website, got to love traveling with the swt's and AO's. Have a couple of AO's myself, things are the greatest invention ever.

It will be a fun conversation with Compeau's, each time I have called in with a warranty problem over the last 10 year of owning one of their products I have been told my case is the first time they have had anyone with that problem! They told me the other day the v800 does not have problems with the exhaust getting warm and melting the tub of machines, mine was the first ever, cracked me up after looking at this forum. When my front gas shock went out, that was also the first time skidoo has had a bad front shock on my model.

I will let you know what they tell me.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
It will be a fun conversation with Compeau's, each time I have called in with a warranty problem over the last 10 year of owning one of their products I have been told my case is the first time they have had anyone with that problem! They told me the other day the v800 does not have problems with the exhaust getting warm and melting the tub of machines, mine was the first ever, cracked me up after looking at this forum. When my front gas shock went out, that was also the first time skidoo has had a bad front shock on my model.
HAH - That cracks me up as well! I have my '10 SWT for sale, and apparently two of the folks who have come to look at it have been shopping at Compeaus, and Compeaus told them that "those engines are very problematic". I guess it depends on what answer makes them the most money...

I have about 4000 miles on both my 800's. Pretty much zero major problems so far. Had to replace the upper rollers on my TUV (due to running a tight track with ice screws) and the right trailing arm (twice). Modified the SWT to bypass the bulkhead cooler with running board coolers to run ices screws. My sister nearly caught my TUV on fire, but she descended 1000 vertical feet with the parking brake on! Had to replace the pads and rotor. Both are probably getting close to needing a clutch rebuild, and I should look at the timing chains, but they have done good so far and have done a lot of work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the clutch pulled off, had to get a puller from DK, took a lot to get the clutch off, had to make a clutch holder and thought the ratchet was going to break taking of the clutch bolt. There seems to be no damage to the seal at all. Waiting for new seal to come in and give it a try. Still dont know what happend. Does anyone know what the small metal can looking thing is between the black hoses that go from the case into the air box. Crancase breather tube but whats up with the metal piece I took off the hoses and there is nothing in the metal part and its 250.00?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for help, have a 2010 swt v800 with 3300 miles on it and today the oil seal blew out on the pto side. The seal is outside the case between the back of the clutch and the case, oil went everywhere but thankfully was going slow pulling a load and noticed it right away as oil went all over the belt. Wondering if anyone has had this happen before? If so any idea what a possible cause could be? How hard is it to replace the seal? Hoping I dont have to split the case to change it out, the machine is still under warrenty but will cost me 500.00 to air freight it out to the dealer and another 900.00 to get it back. Any info from v800 owners who have experienced this would be apprecaited.

Thanks
Hello, I live in Alaska down below Tanana. after about 7,000 mi. about 30 miles out from camp that seal popped out on my (2007) 800. I pushed it back in with a piece of wood, put more oil in and slowly limped back to camp; leaving my load behind. I then took the clutch off, fabricated an aluminum plate that I bolted right to the engine (there are four threaded holes for the 6mm crews). anyway I now have well over 17,000 on that same seal. when it went out it was -25, good trial and running about 30-35.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, I live in Alaska down below Tanana. after about 7,000 mi. about 30 miles out from camp that seal popped out on my (2007) 800. I pushed it back in with a piece of wood, put more oil in and slowly limped back to camp; leaving my load behind. I then took the clutch off, fabricated an aluminum plate that I bolted right to the engine (there are four threaded holes for the 6mm crews). anyway I now have well over 17,000 on that same seal. when it went out it was -25, good trial and running about 30-35.
Thanks Roger, I was trying to get your email from Charlie and Nolan because I was told that you had the same problem. I will look into making a plate, I assume you are talking about the 4 holes that are in a square pattern of the crankcase pto cover, just outside the center of the crank? Any chance you could send me a picture? Stay warm its -37 today in Galena.

David

·
Registered
885 Posts
Great temp for the ID racers!! LB is usually the go to guy on the v-800 but I think he's still in the middle of Labrador somewhere. I'm sure he'll chime in when he returns if we have had similar issues over here. Doo-talk member and frequent contributor Red Rooster just passed you this am I think (Team 34). He's tucked in bed in Unalakleet somewhere by now!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great temp for the ID racers!! LB is usually the go to guy on the v-800 but I think he's still in the middle of Labrador somewhere. I'm sure he'll chime in when he returns if we have had similar issues over here. Doo-talk member and frequent contributor Red Rooster just passed you this am I think (Team 34). He's tucked in bed in Unalakleet somewhere by now!
The Iron Dog teams rolled through yesterday, sounds like day one was tough one this year, think 5 teams scratched on day one. The local favorite Tyler Huntington from Galena is out this year due to a pre race accident, so I have not been following the leaders. Hope it warms up a little for the way to Fairbanks.

Figured LB must have been out when I posted the problem, he usually comments on v800 issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts