Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, I kept myself busy this Holiday weekend and with a second set of hands fabbed up a new rear bumper for my SWT. I had been wanting to do this for some time now, but just didn't have the time.

Here are some pics showing how it came together.

Attachments

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rear portion is made from 1"x2" tubular steel, the center section is made from 4" structural channel and the sides are made from 1.5"x0.25" thick flatbar. Originally the sides were only about 6" up the tunnel, but I lengthened them to about 24" (right up to the end of the passenger seat) to ensure adequate beefyness. I used 4x 3/8" grade 8 bolts on each side and the C-Channel mounts into the standard hitch point with the original 4 bolts used there.

Attachments

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case you noticed, I filled in the sides after I sized things up. The flatbar on the sides is only 1.5" wide and the rear bumper is 1"x2", so without making the rear look weird, I filled in the area between the back of the tunnel and the rear 1"x2" crossmember and it looks much better that way. Lots of welding and grinding though, yikes.

Here it is fully set-up with my tow rope and carabiners. I am quite happy with the results.

Attachments

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also... the reasoning for putting the rope on the rear bumper is to speed things up when towing and to get that huge tow rope out from under my seat. Valuable real estate under there

·
Registered
83 Posts
h?! nice job!!! now i know where i'm gonna put my winch ....
.................can you tell me your opinion on where to put a winch on a snowmobile front or rear...my atv have both...
did you read the tread on cmiq?

·
Registered
593 Posts
My other wheeled vehicles in my signature all have some kind of winch, all of them PTO. The most usable winch has always been behind and only my tray back can have it in the back. The Scania is getting a front / rear side mount winch. Let me explain:

-If you make it and your winchless budy doesn't, you don't need to turn around.
-If you don't make it and you are first, the rear winch is your best friend.
-If you want to load a Poo on a Komatic, the rear winch is your friend

-If you pull logs out of the forest, back again...

If you are alone and want to go in that exact direction, the rear winch will make you try again a new line or try the same line harder. The front winch might then be better.

Take a quick connect to the battery and put one in the front and back, then you have both. My mecanical winches on the trucks can theorycally be operated by handle or PTO. So in the **worst** case I can tie the winch to a tree and winch from there (and have the cable and or hook in the head if the cable snaps)

Just my 2c

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
h?! nice job!!! now i know where i'm gonna put my winch ....
.................can you tell me your opinion on where to put a winch on a snowmobile front or rear...my atv have both...
did you read the tread on cmiq?
Thanks ennrico, yes, I read the thread on the CMIQ site, thanks for the link. I studied the thread talking about the Skandic SWT V800 and how the SUV suspension can be installed. The fellow on the French site did a good job and it was an easy swap. Hardest part for me is finding another SUV rear skid!

As for mounting up a winch front and rear, I would make a 1.5" or 2" square receiver front and rear like on a truck; that way, you can have your regular tow tongue on one square shaft and your winch on another; you can then always have your winch with you. For example, if you are towing, you can have the winch installed on your front bumper (you will need a perimeter front bumper for this) waiting for use. I see plenty of VK Pros going around with the winch on the front bumper like this and it's a nice set up I must say. I also think that having a receiver hitch set-up built opens you up to tons of options. You can make just about anything for the front or rear of your sled and it will slide right in there. Sounds crazy, but have you ever opened up a Cabelas catalogue and looked at the ATV accessories? It's amazing really.

The cleanest winch set-up I have ever seen is one that was mounted in the nose of the V800 SWT. It was mounted in the engine bay, ahead of the forward engine mounts and under the radiator, secured to the forward engine mounts. Looks pretty tight in there, right? It is. The engine has to come out to mount it properly but it is oh-so-clean. The guy just cut a hole in the forward part of his bellypan and mounted a UHMW slider fairlead under the tubular stock front bumper. All you see on the outside is the hook and the Warn strap. If I see the guy again, I will take some pics and figure out which model winch he's using.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks ennrico, yes, I read the thread on the CMIQ site, thanks for the link. I studied the thread talking about the Skandic SWT V800 and how the SUV suspension can be installed. The fellow on the French site did a good job and it was an easy swap. Hardest part for me is finding another SUV rear skid!

As for mounting up a winch front and rear, I would make a 1.5" or 2" square receiver front and rear like on a truck; that way, you can have your regular tow tongue on one square shaft and your winch on another; you can then always have your winch with you. For example, if you are towing, you can have the winch installed on your front bumper (you will need a perimeter front bumper for this) waiting for use. I see plenty of VK Pros going around with the winch on the front bumper like this and it's a nice set up I must say. I also think that having a receiver hitch set-up built opens you up to tons of options. You can make just about anything for the front or rear of your sled and it will slide right in there. Sounds crazy, but have you ever opened up a Cabelas catalogue and looked at the ATV accessories? It's amazing really.

The cleanest winch set-up I have ever seen is one that was mounted in the nose of the V800 SWT. It was mounted in the engine bay, ahead of the forward engine mounts and under the radiator, secured to the forward engine mounts. Looks pretty tight in there, right? It is. The engine has to come out to mount it properly but it is oh-so-clean. The guy just cut a hole in the forward part of his bellypan and mounted a UHMW slider fairlead under the tubular stock front bumper. All you see on the outside is the hook and the Warn strap. If I see the guy again, I will take some pics and figure out which model winch he's using.

·
Registered
59 Posts
would you be interested in making on like this for a price i really like the design and the rope mount is a great idea. willing to pay. do you know were i can get a cargo box for this rack skidoo dont make them i called.

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry man, if I had the time I'd build a dozen, but I just don't have it these days.

I will put together a drawing for the thing and post it up here, like I did for the komatiks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
.... the idea of the square receiver is good for me . I put an extra rear winch on my atv and find it very useful...two on a sled is to much weight.
But keep dreamin' about the ``in the houd instalation`` pics will be great.
Plans for the next winter....
ho yes tchiwam, for loading something on a trailer the rear winch is a friend....I'vd killed a moose and it going down right in the middle of the trail, my atv's rear winch was my best friend that day...

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
[quote name='LabradorBoy' date='Apr 13 2009, 08:33 AM' post='2350137']

I have an 8K electric winch on a 2" hitch insert that also has a Uni-ball mount on the base plate ( the kind that you can change ball sizes by pulling the pin out of the ball ) Both of my tow rigs and my tandem axle utility trailer have front and rear receivers as well . You can never have too many options IMHO !

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
LabradorBoy likes his options and chances!!!

Tom did you see how many fire extinguishers he has in his shop?

Very nice work as usual!

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LabradorBoy likes his options and chances!!!

Tom did you see how many fire extinguishers he has in his shop?

Very nice work as usual!
LOL!

I did the fab work with my buddy in his garage... he recharges & maintains fire extinguishers. I keep waiting for the time that he's going to see me on fire (not that unusual, really) and douse me in dry powder. Way too much potential to become yellow in that place

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
looking good there Lab!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts