Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided tonight to tackle this little project I've been putting off for a while, the tow hitch that comes on the SWT's are a little flimsy for some of the towing I do, after repairing it a few times I decided to go with one that's a little more heavy duty, got a little more work to do to it though, I temporary bolted it on and wondering if I should weld it on or bolt it???? If i weld it the slush guard is gonna be an issue if I ever need to change it, gonna be outa-town for a little while so I got a few days to think about it.

I had the camera handy
so I snapped a few pictures. I'll post some more when i'm finished.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looks like your hitch has been around the block a few times.

I swapped mine out for a heavy duty pintle hook style hitch before I towed anything. That reinforcement you made looks pretty stout! I don't think I tow anything heavy enough to need that (yet).

·
7,718 Posts
Looks great suv1, I have been contemplating this also. The SWT I picked up has a square tubular rear bumper, it's a bit rough, but it does appear to be functional. Your flatbar rear bumper looks very stout, I am impressed. I have to admit that I didn't give the tapered tunnel sides much thought but the way that you have tackled it looks wonderful. I would not weld that to the chassis, bolt it on with a couple of M8 or M10 bolts per side and you'll be in good shape.

Of the rear bumpers that I have seen take a great deal of abuse, the most successful ones use the original 4 tow hitch mounting holes to tie the middle of the hitch (where the pull is concentrated) solidly to the chassis. This helps keep the assembly from bending at the middle. Yours does have a flat laying piece of flatbar across the top though, so that should give you a lot of strength in the horizontal direction.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great suv1, I have been contemplating this also. The SWT I picked up has a square tubular rear bumper, it's a bit rough, but it does appear to functional. Your flatbar rear bumper looks very stout, I am impressed. I have to admit that I didn't give the tapered tunnel sides much thought but the way that you have tackled it looks wonderful. I would not weld that to the chassis, bolt it on with a couple of M8 or M10 bolts per side and you'll be in good shape.

Of the rear bumpers that I have seen take a great deal of abuse, the most successful ones use the original 4 tow hitch mounting holes to tie the middle of the hitch (where the pull is concentrated) solidly to the chassis. This helps keep the assembly from bending at the middle. Yours does have a flat laying piece of flatbar across the top though, so that should give you a lot of strength in the horizontal direction.
Bolt it I well!! Yes I'm gonna tie it in the centre also for extra support, I have the aluminium block and the old tow hitch cut and modified ( as you can see it's resting on the rear plastic) i just have to bolt it back on the chassis and weld it to the new tow hitch.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like your hitch has been around the block a few times.

I swapped mine out for a heavy duty pintle hook style hitch before I towed anything. That reinforcement you made looks pretty stout! I don't think I tow anything heavy enough to need that (yet).
I believe I saw you with some pretttty big loads in tow last season, am I right??

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Bolting it facilitates easy repairs / replacement down the road when you wear this one out !

·
Registered
222 Posts
100_1821_resize.jpg
I believe I saw you with some pretttty big loads in tow last season, am I right??
These green logs were probably the heaviest things I towed last year. Besides stuck sleds, that is.

That was actually the only time I used the flapper type hitch that came with the sled and I had to drill it out to accommodate the skid tow bar. Changed out to the pintle style after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished "product" with makeup, It kinda looks better without it????

·
7,718 Posts
Looks good Felix, I would have mounted up something a little more stout for the towing ring though, maybe a U-shackle on each side of the tongue hitch?!

I have a big idea for this area as well and will be starting fabrication myself now shortly. I am going to use your idea of flatbar positioned to follow the taper of the tunnel, that's trick.. hope I don't get into copyright infringement
How hard was the rack to take off?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Looks good, I like the pintel hitches i picked up a couple off ebay for 10.00 bucks each. they dont have the right mounting for my 06 wt so i I was just going to make a plate and use stock mounting, but now i think i will copy yours and use my pintel. SUV what do you pull that the stock hitch is breaking? what is the loop in the center above the hitch?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good Felix, I would have mounted up something a little more stout for the towing ring though, maybe a U-shackle on each side of the tongue hitch?!

I have a big idea for this area as well and will be starting fabrication myself now shortly. I am going to use your idea of flatbar positioned to follow the taper of the tunnel, that's trick.. hope I don't get into copyright infringement
How hard was the rack to take off?
Hey Rob As for the towing ring it's the handle bar clamp of a Bravo, strong enough to tow a Sherpa I think???
I usually put a grip on both sides shaped like this ] for lifting and towing but I'm old enough now to realize it plain dumb to try and lift one of these machines IF stuck.

As for taking of the rack I think it's the easiest I've ever come across, just the 4 bolts and everything just lifts up rubber side flaps and all.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Don't worry, the paint will be scratched up like the rest in no time.
Whatta'ya mean by that????? She's just like new for cripes sake!!!!
I know she pretty rusty but thats what happens when you drive through salt water for about a month each spring

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks good, I like the pintel hitches i picked up a couple off ebay for 10.00 bucks each. they dont have the right mounting for my 06 wt so i I was just going to make a plate and use stock mounting, but now i think i will copy yours and use my pintel. SUV what do you pull that the stock hitch is breaking? what is the loop in the center above the hitch?
I pull firewood, logs for lumber, my fishing cabin, sorry my wife's fishing cabin
and many times my buddies 1000 expedition when breaking trail on my trap line, ( thats what the hoop is for)

It's not the straight pull that breaks those stock hitches they're sufficient enough for that' it's when your pulling something heavy on uneven "ground", the twisting and turning, your machine goes one way and lots of times the load in tow wants to go it's own route sometimes flipping right over, after a while somethin' has to give.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes thats looks good
I suppose the sketch is already gone to the patent office?????

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, you got that right, the side-side loads are always a pain.

My hitch + rope holder and towing ear is also about to go ahead, it will look something like this:
OH!!! I see the two post on the tow hitch is for to wrap your tow line, cool!! Your buddies must all have Yamaha's

Also I just noticed the date at the top of the sketch,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts