Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skandik SWT, Expedition SE, or Bearcat Z1 XT - I am struggling with this purchase. I have found a a 2010 Skandik SWT V800 with low miles and a dealer demo 2013 Skandic SWT 600 Ace. There are many new Bearcats, 12' and 13' out there on steep promotions. No luck finding an Expedition. I've decided on four stroke only. Want deep snow capabilities, as I am alone most often, for shed hunting, scouting, trapping and towing firewood for the cabin. Also would like some decent trail characteristics when I travel to new areas or have friends or family up and they want to tour. Dependability is critical. High power is not, but I want to be able to pull respectable loads. The Yeti II chassis looks more work oriented to me. Is this correct? The V800 engine reliability seems questionable from what I read and the 600 ace looks under powered. The bearcat and expedition have large displacements, but the deep snow performance looks weak. Any guidance would be appreciated. This purchase is primarily prompted by an injury to my lower back and my old 1990's sleds riding positions are not cutting it anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't walk away from the AC, RUN away from it! I bought a new 2009 AC Z1 XT 1100 from a dealer three years ago. It was, without question, the worst powersports purchase I have ever made. From the very first ride I had when I got home, it broke down. It had serious electrical problems that neither the dealer nor AC would stand behind eventhough it was on warranty. Additionally, it was a slug in virgin deep snow. My 1998 Ski Doo SWT would run circles around it. I traded it in on a 2013 Yamaha RS Venture TF and found the difference in quality between the two startling.

If you want exact details on the AC, PM me and I'll give you the exact problems. Stick with a SWT in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I've come to the same conclusion. Their rebate pricing is attractive, but where I travel, predominately alone, I really do not want any issues. Furthermore, deep snow performance is my main consideration. I will ride a 13' SWT Ace this week and let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that you can not stud a SWT, however, can you install the ice screws in the lugs without tunnel protectors?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I understand that you can not stud a SWT, however, can you install the ice screws in the lugs without tunnel protectors?
Yes. I put 3/4" screws in my track on the outer lugs only (all the holes that would not, under any circumstances, hit the tunnel cooler). 2013 SWT.

The screws DO hit the aluminum right at the snowflap with a big load/articulated skid unlocked. I've not noticed contact anywhere else.

Traction improved considerably, I was pleasantly surprised at how much bite it gave me on anything close to firm snow (and ice, naturally). No downsides, beyond the grooves it is machining when the skid is unlocked/lots of weight on the sled/big bump.

Iain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, If I purchase one I'll check that out. All my current and former sleds have been studded. Vermont can have some icy conditions at times, especially tight, steep runs down to road crossings and the like. The dealer said the lugs were molded to receive the ice screws.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Skandik SWT, Expedition SE, or Bearcat Z1 XT - I am struggling with this purchase. I have found a a 2010 Skandik SWT V800 with low miles and a dealer demo 2013 Skandic SWT 600 Ace. There are many new Bearcats, 12' and 13' out there on steep promotions. No luck finding an Expedition. I've decided on four stroke only. Want deep snow capabilities, as I am alone most often, for shed hunting, scouting, trapping and towing firewood for the cabin. Also would like some decent trail characteristics when I travel to new areas or have friends or family up and they want to tour. Dependability is critical. High power is not, but I want to be able to pull respectable loads. The Yeti II chassis looks more work oriented to me. Is this correct? The V800 engine reliability seems questionable from what I read and the 600 ace looks under powered. The bearcat and expedition have large displacements, but the deep snow performance looks weak. Any guidance would be appreciated. This purchase is primarily prompted by an injury to my lower back and my old 1990's sleds riding positions are not cutting it anymore.
i own a swt v-800,if u have back problems dont choose this one for comfort.there is none!the 600 ace has a better suspension,better motor too,in my opinion.dont be fooled into thinking its underpowered,its not.the gearing takes care of that.i wouldnt buy another v-800,i would and prob will buy an ace next.onward and upward!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. I looked at one Yeti II, V800, and loved everything except the suspension (for general riding). This will be my predominate sled. I know of two older gentlemen in Maine with SWT, V800's for sale. An 09' with 1000 miles for 7k and a 10' with 500 miles for 8k. I'd like to help them sell their machines if anyone is interested. I'm checking out a 13' SWT 600 Ace tomorrow. I could end up having a 2000 Bearcat II 440 with 2,870 miles and a 1998 Polaris Classic Touring 500 liquid, with 3,069 miles for sale. Both sleds are clean and tight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the 2009 Ski Doo Expedition 20 inch track, and v800 engine. I picked it up new for $8800. Can you do that with one

of the other machines. Furthermore I have had this machine for over 3 years, and it has never refused to start or run

exceptionally. I go in areas where no snowmobile has been, and have very little trouble. The V800 is very economical

for its size. I average over 20 mpg. You sit higher than the previous Yeti I sleds, so the sled is a little tippy, and takes

getting use to how to ride it. I groom several miles of my own trails, and ride the Interstate trails like everyone else

Don't be afraid of the V800 it is a good engine, and will give you plenty of power when you need it. It requires more

body english on turns. I have no interest in upgrading or trading for a long while.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you are looking new, Doo does now offer tunnel protectors for the SWT - They also offer a 24" ICE Ripper track (pre-studded with automotive type studs) for $999 :O) (Ouch).

I have a 2012 SWT and the lugs already had holes in them. I had a tire shop put automotive studs in the outer lugs on each side and that does help on ice, etc. They aren't that sharp and screws would probably work better.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As for the studs they can be installed but only in certain locations to be on the safe side. There used to be traction aids that looked like a square piece of tubing with the bottom side (ground contact side) cut into sawtooth like points , each were 2 or 4 inches long with bolts on the back. Worked well on the earlier WT sleds.

Not been able to find any for years but that does not mean they don't still exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts