Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've started on my second and "hopefully" my last SWT project, A cargo box for the rear rack, I'm just in the process of making a mold and so far it seems to be turning out quite nicely, ( the mold is harder to make than the box itself I believe??) I'm going with fiberglass on this one, the great thing about fiberglass if your not satisfied with the final result you always have the option to change anything your not satisfied with. I'm gonna post some pictures all the way through this one, stay tuned!!

·
7,718 Posts
I see somebody has been rekindling his fiberglass skills whilst waiting for Winter to return...!

I will be interested in seeing your final product, I'm sure it will be well built like suv1's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[quote name='LabradorBoy' date='Feb 21 2010, 05:19 PM' post='2809248']
I see somebody has been rekindling his fiberglass skills whilst waiting for Winter to return...!

I will be interested in seeing your final product, I'm sure it will be well built like suv1's.

I was looking at Suv`s today. What a great job

Last coat of bondo has just been applied on mine. We built the boxes fully enclosed and will cut the lids off with a zip cut. i was looking at an old post today with the 2 plastic boxes for the scandic widetrack . Wish I had seen that prior to this project as I would have made two to fit the rack on the XU. Then one could have been removed to carry a gas can. i will try to post a pic or two tomorrow.
For anyone who hasn`t seen it, there is great storge box for the XU in this post.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=357506

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If you want to see a nice cargo box look at this one, a fellow in Red Bay makes them for $150 I think it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I completed this cargo box for the expedition XU using a 2 layers of fibreglass over 3/16 and 1/8 plywood. Sanded and smoothed using bondo filler , primer and liquid plastic paint. I made a solid cube and then cut the lid off with a zip cut blade on the angle grinder. it has a false bottom where I can store my hand winch, rope , saw and first aid kit. It attaches to the rack through the box with 4 bolts using the threaded holes in the rack. The closures are rubber straps and knobs from a yamaha VK. The hinge is a piano hinge.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Awesome job on the cargo box daroadsman!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
This thread should really be pinned , don't ya think ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I completed this cargo box for the expedition XU using a 2 layers of fibreglass over 3/16 and 1/8 plywood. Sanded and smoothed using bondo filler , primer and liquid plastic paint. I made a solid cube and then cut the lid off with a zip cut blade on the angle grinder. it has a false bottom where I can store my hand winch, rope , saw and first aid kit. It attaches to the rack through the box with 4 bolts using the threaded holes in the rack. The closures are rubber straps and knobs from a yamaha VK. The hinge is a piano hinge.

Nice Job on the Box!!! Just as good as the factory one that i have.

81542.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Built only with wood, brad nails and lots of construction adhesive. Went with lower box (for spare plugs, tools etc.) and upper box for extra gas, mitts, maasdam & rope, brush hook etc. Had them only one winter so far and like them. Pic of lower box first.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I like the amount of storage you get in the lower box and still have the cargo area to use. I have zero storage on my 2011 Sport and that my be an idea.

RR

41 - 59 of 59 Posts