Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We got a little of this and a little of that, meaning the usual about 15cm of snow then 5mm of rain, made a helluva mess, now it's snowing again and suppose to be -10 tonight but coming towards the weeks end it suppose to rain again
I think I'm goona loose it (if I already haven't??) If I don't get my traps out soon.

Post a picture of that aluminum komatic here when it's done well 'ya?? I made one last week but it's only made of wood
What's next, the front SWT bumper?? I'm gonna wait for you on that one.

·
7,718 Posts
I already have a pic hosted in the Tundra forum:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=2009058

They had a pretty good cargo sled thread going, so I threw it in there. We are able to trim the shore here now, about 6-10" of ice in still lying areas. As for the SWT front bumper, I'd say I'll be letting Chouinard do this one for me, he does a great job and for $150 I just can't justify getting into it myself especially when I have tackled so many projects over the last 6 months!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Last evening I finally got around to making the cover, got all the rough stuff done and now it the part I don't like, the finishing!! I have to admit I'm not a very good finisher but I'm gonna give it a shot with the tools I have at hand, I gotta say it looks pretty good like is and I'm afraid it gonna be worst when I finished,
I think i'm well paint the outside since I don't have any gel-coat or epoxy the color i want??
Found some white epoxy for the inside.

I knew those 10lb diving leads would come in handy sometime!

Oh ya I forgot I had to improvise an "oven" also, cool 'eh!!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I decided to call it quits on this one (for now) In all fairness it needs a few more coats of resin and a few more light sanding as well to bring it to a fine finish, but since I don't have the proper stuff to finish it with (yellow or black epoxy) anything else won't do it justice, If I would put regular paint it would be "painstaking" to apply som'tin else afterwards, so Im gonna leave it like that for now and when I can get my hands on what i want I'll finish it then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Makes me sick I can build most any thing but It would never look that good and me and fiberglass have a very bad past. GREAT JOB.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm kinda overwhelmed by those kind words guys
, It's as gratifying as the finished box itself, Thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Managed to pull the rest of the mold of today and later I applied some bondo to fill in some gaps that the resin didn't penetrate, trying to get it smooth as possible before applying a layer of carbon fiber, at approx. $100 a meter x 600mm I can't "afford"
to waste that stuff. Also started on the cover, I'm still trying to figure how to mold the top????

That thing sticking out the back (front) looks like a useless d!ck, I think I'm gonna cut it off????
Maybe i can still use it, leave it where it is, put a cover on it and use for a tool box!!!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I am enjoying this article, and looking forward to the finished product. Amazing how we all think along the same lines.
It's already finished Downeaster, check out page 2 of this thread.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Now you can make another one with the seat out for extended trips by yourself(Maybe you have one). Also; there is room next to where the T part is below the back seat. I put my pruning blade with taped handle in there. You can also open up the right side (from under front seat)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my junk box, made of half inch plywood glued and air gun stapled together. I wanted something I could put my saw on and this works great. A stud goes up through the cover and through a hole in the saw base. The fold-down scabbard does the rest. I used J bolts with turn knobs to hold the box in place, and threaded rods from the base of the box up through the cover to secure the top. No complaints except that now I have no lifting point to jig the rear end around. 019.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is my junk box, made of half inch plywood glued and air gun stapled together. I wanted something I could put my saw on and this works great. A stud goes up through the cover and through a hole in the saw base. The fold-down scabbard does the rest. I used J bolts with turn knobs to hold the box in place, and threaded rods from the base of the box up through the cover to secure the top. No complaints except that now I have no lifting point to jig the rear end around. View attachment 155102
I guess you could attach a couple handles to the side rails.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is my junk box, made of half inch plywood glued and air gun stapled together. I wanted something I could put my saw on and this works great. A stud goes up through the cover and through a hole in the saw base. The fold-down scabbard does the rest. I used J bolts with turn knobs to hold the box in place, and threaded rods from the base of the box up through the cover to secure the top. No complaints except that now I have no lifting point to jig the rear end around. View attachment 155102
I guess you could attach a couple handles to the side rails.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can see it is finished now, and a very fine job at that. Fiberglassing is the way to go if you have the talent. I plan on
doing something similar later myself, but doubt it would be as good as your job. Very nice.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts