Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started on my second and "hopefully" my last SWT project, A cargo box for the rear rack, I'm just in the process of making a mold and so far it seems to be turning out quite nicely, ( the mold is harder to make than the box itself I believe??) I'm going with fiberglass on this one, the great thing about fiberglass if your not satisfied with the final result you always have the option to change anything your not satisfied with. I'm gonna post some pictures all the way through this one, stay tuned!!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...............well after a few hours of thinking, measuring & cutting then thinking again and then cutting & taping i finally got the kinda shape i like,
( so far???) It turned out to a little easier than I expected but I ran into a dilemma after doing the first half of my mold, I intended to fiberglass the hole under the seat cause it's gonna be kinda tight doing it after it is completed but the fiberglass resin I had seems to have gotten very thick on me and I wasn't sure if it would spread well
so I decided to put it of until i can get some better (thinner) stuff, If I had some acetone i could thinned it out but i didn't have that neither, (wasn't very well prepared was I??)
Anyways I got the mold made without the cover, that has to wait until the box is out of the mold.

·
7,718 Posts
Wow that's big. You're getting pretty fancy now, rounded corners and everything!

I was working on storage options tonight too, actually working with an 8 and a 24 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer to see if I can get all my stuff in there. The small one fits great with my snowshoes on each side and a 5 gallon gas can in the passenger seat area, but the big one is the pits. It doesn't fit well across the sled in the rack, it's just a little too long to tuck into the rack and instead holds up on the raised section under the passenger seat.... crap. Lengthways, it fits great but again hangs up on the raised plastic section under the passenger seat. What am I going to do, make a shim to level off the "floor" of the sotrage area? Seems like a ridiculous waste of space to me!?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking at my own photos (from an outsiders point of view)
I'm contemplating rounding the inside corners as well, I'm a little concerned that they may get caught in a tree when I'm in a tight space??? If I'm gonna change it it's a good time to do it now.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Wow that's big. You're getting pretty fancy now, rounded corners and everything!

I was working on storage options tonight too, actually working with an 8 and a 24 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer to see if I can get all my stuff in there. The small one fits great with my snowshoes on each side and a 5 gallon gas can in the passenger seat area, but the big one is the pits. It doesn't fit well across the sled in the rack, it's just a little too long to tuck into the rack and instead holds up on the raised section under the passenger seat.... crap. Lengthways, it fits great but again hangs up on the raised plastic section under the passenger seat. What am I going to do, make a shim to level off the "floor" of the sotrage area? Seems like a ridiculous waste of space to me!?
You think it's too big??? Off on the trapline I'm probably stick with my tub also, you know bait and stuff gets kinda stinky sometimes.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, go ahead fancypants

Dang, now my wooden box really looks like crap....!
Wood is good, you can always burn it if you fall in the water and needs to make a fire, can't do that with fiberglass.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So after you get the cardboard box fabbed up then you lay fiberglass around it? I have never messed fiberglass. My brother made a very box for his 300 tundra last year. Me i used a go packer and made a wood ice auger rackfor my tundra lt. I need a rear stoarge compartment heavy duty enough to carry a ice auger or chain saw on the top of the box. I better get going on my box since now i have 2 to build since i bought the 600 wt. On my 06 wt the seat is one piece. I wish i could remove the passanger seat.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after you get the cardboard box fabbed up then you lay fiberglass around it? I have never messed fiberglass. My brother made a very box for his 300 tundra last year. Me i used a go packer and made a wood ice auger rackfor my tundra lt. I need a rear stoarge compartment heavy duty enough to carry a ice auger or chain saw on the top of the box. I better get going on my box since now i have 2 to build since i bought the 600 wt. On my 06 wt the seat is one piece. I wish i could remove the passanger seat.
I'm gonna lay 1 layer of fiberglass mat on the inside and after it sets just tear the cardboard off and give it 2 more layers on the outside, the inside cardboard is waxed so the resin dosen't stick well.
One great thing bout the 600 skandic they lot of storage under the seat.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Sure, go ahead fancypants

Dang, now my wooden box really looks like crap....!
Rob, the reason for rounded corners is that you can't fiberglass right angles so even though I have many right angles in the end all the corners well be somewhat rounded.
Post us a picture of that wooden box you made well ya'???

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my first layer of fiber mat on today, it was kinda tricky cause i had to cut the mold in two, fiberglass it and join it back together, tonight I took the top of the mold to see how it turned out and I'm pretty well satisfied so far at what i see, gonna take the rest of the mold apart tomorrow after the resin is fully cured.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Managed to pull the rest of the mold of today and later I applied some bondo to fill in some gaps that the resin didn't penetrate, trying to get it smooth as possible before applying a layer of carbon fiber, at approx. $100 a meter x 600mm I can't "afford"
to waste that stuff. Also started on the cover, I'm still trying to figure how to mold the top????

That thing sticking out the back (front) looks like a useless d!ck, I think I'm gonna cut it off????
Maybe i can still use it, leave it where it is, put a cover on it and use for a tool box!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey, bondo! Now there's something I'm used to working with!

That thing sticking out the back (front) looks like a useless d!ck, I think I'm gonna cut it off????
Noooooo! don't do it!
It looks perfect for laying longer items in the bottom like your spare belt or a hatchet or something.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are right, it won't be seen after the pass. seat is on anyways, thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hand laid fiberglass and carbon fiber custom gear box.....darn! I would have been happy with the wax coated cardboard!. You 'da man.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cardboard is good, It's the first time I worked with carbon fiber and it much easier to work with, it doesn't come apart like regular roven cause it's sewn together with a fine thread so you can cut any shape and it stays that shape, pretty much??? ( I didn't buy it, it was a gift
)
Hopefully I'll have time to finish this project today???

·
7,718 Posts
Did you get hit with the same low pressure system that we did? I just finished clearing up the driveway, we have somewhere in the realm of 30cm down out there, looks great. We have a snow day today, so I'll be damned if I don't get the aluminum komatik's towbar finished this morning!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts