Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 95 floe trailer 4 place double axle aluminum trailer. it has non working hydraulic brakes on one axle. i already have a brake controller built into my f150. so instead of changing out the bad master cyl and the lines and possibly wheel cylinders how easy is it just to covert it to electric brakes??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very easy just change backing plate. Most axles are Dexter or some make. Alot interchange. And Run power wires back to axle. I have done it lots of times. Use to be a trailer mechanic. Worked on semi trailers to single axle trailers...... Need anymore advice just PM me.... Hoss

·
Looking for the Hot Tub...
7,044 Posts
I think you will need the elec backing plates, drums should be the same, just clean them up, going to guess they are 10", should be a rather easy exchange. I have the self adjusting ones on both my trailers now a few dollars more but a little easier to setup. Simple wire each one together and you're done.

The biggest deal here as mentioned by War is the backing plate that is on your axle, they can have a couple different ones, mine were 4 bolt just under 3" spacing. If you have that your set of not your going to have to get adapters or put new plates on..both are readily avail.

Here is a right hand one...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/etrailer/AKEBRK-35R-SA.html

Left hand:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/etrailer/AKEBRK-35L-SA.html

Watch the installation video, pretty simple process.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm not much of a mechanic, I do make sure my dealer cleans and checks my electric brakes at the end of the season if the trailer sees a lot of salt. The year I didn't they froze up solid.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Yeah anyone who thinks the drums on electric brakes take less maintenance than the drums on hydraulic surge brakes is gonna be in for a rude awakening. Especially if the trailer is stored outdoors and not used during off season.

Both systems run 1950's tech drum brakes, and they all completely suck and take regular maintenance in a salt environment.

REALLY wanna make it lower maintenance? The only option is to get a $1,200+ electric over hydraulic disc brake system kit. That's the Cadillac of all trailer brake systems and takes far less maintenance and easie0/cheaper to repair when the time comes. Initial cost is up there that price is parts kit only. Plus add most of a full day's labor to install, if you don't do it yourself.

But for a 1995 open trailer? Not worth it.

Agree with others converting from hydraulic surge to electric is not difficult if you're mechanically inclined. And you will have better control/better braking than surge, especially with an integrated factory controller on the truck.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes im a senior master ford tech so a little mech inclined lol ill check out those vids. i think im just gonna have to pull off a drum and match up backing plates and measure. sounds like its not that bad.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im hoping mine are the size as the ones i seen on amazon they are only 50bucks for 2 loaded backing plates that would be easy and cost effective and prob work way better than a surge brake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts