Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have my eyes on a 03 800 rev new track, studs, 300 on top end, 4000 on chassis $2900 obo. waiting on pics though. also found a few 04, 05, 06 500ss and 600's i know the 500ss is a 597, and the 600 is a 596. all these sleds are between $3000-$4000 no more than 4000 miles.

Now what am i supposed to look for in these sleds when i look at them chassis, drivetrain and suspensions wise??

ideally would love the 800 but have only found 2 or 3 03-04's only though around 3000-4000 miles. i think i read that the 05+ is the stronger chassis?

basically i am a newb to skidoo's but love how the skis handles and drives. i rode my buddies 04 500ss and fell in love. ive been riding polaris all my life and mostly my 00 xcr800 for the last 3 years and LOVE the power but it beats the crap out of me. other than that i had a edge 500 xcsp but not a fan, the rider forward sled was liek being on a quad so skidoo it is.

any way any and all tips on what to look for is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
well i have my eyes on a 03 800 rev new track, studs, 300 on top end, 4000 on chassis $2900 obo. waiting on pics though. also found a few 04, 05, 06 500ss and 600's i know the 500ss is a 597, and the 600 is a 596. all these sleds are between $3000-$4000 no more than 4000 miles.

Now what am i supposed to look for in these sleds when i look at them chassis, drivetrain and suspensions wise??

ideally would love the 800 but have only found 2 or 3 03-04's only though around 3000-4000 miles. i think i read that the 05+ is the stronger chassis?

basically i am a newb to skidoo's but love how the skis handles and drives. i rode my buddies 04 500ss and fell in love. ive been riding polaris all my life and mostly my 00 xcr800 for the last 3 years and LOVE the power but it beats the crap out of me. other than that i had a edge 500 xcsp but not a fan, the rider forward sled was liek being on a quad so skidoo it is.

any way any and all tips on what to look for is appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Welcome to dootalk!

Only the "X" package received the newer SC-4 rear suspension in 2005. I believe all models received the SC-4 in O6 & 07. This is something I regret from buy my sled a couple of years ago..

·
Registered
290 Posts
You can't go wrong really. The Rev is a good ride in any version. As the other guy pointed out, if possible grab an '06 or '07 for the refinements. If you are bent on getting an 800 I would definately look for those years. Again - nothing wrong with the earlier years but you get 10-ish more HP and a lot of refinement in the later Rev years.

As far as things to look for - the biggest one on the Rev platform is to look for a bent nun (the attachment point for the engine and the front suspension). Do a search on the Rev forums and you will find plenty of info.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well price is a big factor, honestly i will probably but on a few hundred miles this season and sell it next, and move up. but my xcr8 is like the 00 mach z 800 ( correct me if i am wrong) triple triple with 160 hp, which is why i would like the 800 because the 600 was nice but i missed the monsterous torque. i know the twin wont be as aggressive and fast but i dont need it to be.

when i get home ill try to do some more searching. any other things to look for in the 03-04 800 chassis? whats t he compression? 135?

·
Registered
245 Posts
well price is a big factor, honestly i will probably but on a few hundred miles this season and sell it next, and move up. but my xcr8 is like the 00 mach z 800 ( correct me if i am wrong) triple triple with 160 hp, which is why i would like the 800 because the 600 was nice but i missed the monsterous torque. i know the twin wont be as aggressive and fast but i dont need it to be.

when i get home ill try to do some more searching. any other things to look for in the 03-04 800 chassis? whats t he compression? 135?
I see what your saying by the engine size and everything. Just don't rush your decision or buy the first one you see. Do your research on here, craigslist, sledswap etc... and find something your happy with at the right price. Sold mine and went a month and half without one in the garage but glad i passed many up cus i got a great deal on my new one i just got (2005 mxz x 600 HO SDI for $3,400) Good Luck and you wont be disappointed in the REV!!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Ok...Nobody has given you much info...Some things to know. 03 was the first year of the REV. They had the beaver tail on them. A lot of them have been changed out. Some of them that changed had some problems with overheating if they didnt switch to the longer cooler. Cant remember if it was the 600 HO or the 800. The 03's also had some issues with the crank seal popping out behind the clutch. Here again it was more prevelant on one of the motors but I cant remember which one. Someone on here was makeing and selling a seal retainer kit to help hold the seal in and keep it from popping out. 04 was the first year for the 600 SDI and the 500 SS. Most of the problems were fixed in 04, but the 600 HO had some problems with the rings flaking. Doo was fixing this if the owner complained. Most should be fixed by now unless you find one with low mileage. Most issues started around ~2,000 miles. The 04 600 SDIs had a few issues with plugs fouling but Doo released a new mapping and changed recomended plugs and this solved things for the most part I believe. Not aware of any issues with the 04 800 motor. 05 X package 800's had the Powertec motor, lot of them have had issues. Search on here. Like the guys have said, if you want an 800, to me, find an 04 or go 07. I think there was even some issues with the 06 800s. Another thing to look at and probably wont be able to tell this till you get it is the y pipes tend to crack where they come together. Need to pull the heat shields and you can shine a mag light into the pipe and see if light comes through. You may have to take it off to really know for sure. Can be welded back up if not to bad, just got to be careful not to warp the pipe. Search on this and there should be some more info on this.

Some common REV issues like mentioned before are the nun being tweaked. An easy way to spot this is look at the shocks going through the A-Arms, make sure they are spaced evenly. Looked behind the clutches for a crinkle in the chassis. Search for flying nun and you will see all kinds of talk about it. Another common REV issue is the carb boots delaminating. Not sure some much on the newer ones but my 04 MXZ 600 HO had it and the 03s did. My dealer showed me a leftover 05 he had in the fall of 05 and the boots were shot on it. 0 miles on it!!

Just some things to look for and consider. Hopefully i havent scared you away just want you to be aware of some things. They as you found out are great sleds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a bunch for the detailed reply.

i am going to email the guy and get some details out of him what should i remember to ask him?

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks a bunch for the detailed reply.

i am going to email the guy and get some details out of him what should i remember to ask him?
I am selling a 2005 Mach Z 1000 SDI for my cousin. The sled has been garaged kept and transported in an enclosed trailer always. It has 144 studs that were put in at the beginning of this season, in excellent condition. It is extremely fast and has always treated him great with no problems. He is asking $4,300.00 and the sled is located in Milton, NY 12547.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts