Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about switching off Ski-Doo 2-cycle non-synthetic to Amsoil Interceptor Synthetic or similiar. I have 3500 miles on my 2001 MXZ 700. My valves have carbon deposits on them after 1000 miles with the Ski-Doo oil. It works, but I think there is oil that is better. Am I going to have any problems running better oil in my sled at this point? Please advise.

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Just make sure your oil level gets low but safe enough to where ure engine will still get oil, and add alittle at a time, most non synthetic oils are compatible with each other.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTANK said:
Just make sure your oil level gets low but safe enough to where ure engine will still get oil, and add alittle at a time, most non synthetic oils are compatible with each other.
[snapback]294045[/snapback]​
Actually, I plan on running synthetic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i think you will be fine. just make sure you dont run it too low on oil. i did that last year to my 670 ho and ended up burning down the pto side. was trying to run it as low as possible and my friend came over one night and next thing ya know we were ditch bangin from town to town and i had forgotten about my lil project of switching oils.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just make sure you bleed your pump after you drain the tank. On the side of the pump you'll see a screw w/ a seal washer. Just crack it open until the oil runs out of it to bleed any air bubbles from the oil. If you dont the pump could fail to pump oil. That might be a bad thing..lol. Oh and amsoil is a good choice.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
the raves should be cleaned by 100 miles anysways. i switched to amsoil, nice results. don't bother draining the tank. run existing down to 1/4 or so. then add new oil. or siphon outas much as possible. why f*&k with bleeding? the oilsmix fine

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
iansmxz said:
the raves should be cleaned by 100 miles anysways. i switched to amsoil, nice results. don't bother draining the tank. run existing down to 1/4 or so. then add new oil. or siphon outas much as possible. why f*&k with bleeding? the oilsmix fine
[snapback]294331[/snapback]​
i meant 1000 miles!

·
Registered
19 Posts
saucebox69 said:
i think you will be fine. just make sure you dont run it too low on oil. i did that last year to my 670 ho and ended up burning down the pto side. was trying to run it as low as possible and my friend came over one night and next thing ya know we were ditch bangin from town to town and i had forgotten about my lil project of switching oils.
[snapback]294172[/snapback]​
in my opinion amsoil sucks because it is not fully synthetic it is only a synthetic blend plus it stinks when it burns. I personnally like Klotz its what i run in my 97 skidoo mxz 583 and it smells good also. I also run 4 stroke Klotz in my 99 honda 400ex, which is for sale

·
Registered
217 Posts
IansMxz is correct..... run it down to 1/4 then fill up with new type. I have done it with Injex to Klotz, Klotz to Amsoil, then back to Klotz. Never had any issues..... 583kid is also correct, my rave valves were a mess after 1000 miles with Amsoil, went back to Klotz much cleaner in my opinion. Injex was cleaner too. The new Amsoil Interceptor for power valves might be different.

my 2.5 cents!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
To tell if oil is compatable with eachother, (both synthetic AND non-synthetic) put a dimes size drop on one hand of each oil. Mix them around good. If they ball up, DONT MIX. If they dont, your GOLDEN! But, for the most part, any synthetic oil will mix FINE with another synthetic oil...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I switched from Bombi synth to Amsoil Intercepter and just dumped the new on top of the old while making the switch. I was told there was no problem doing that and there wasn't. Been running Interceptor for about 1,500 miles now and this years pre-season check up had very little gunk on the RAVE valves compared to years not using Interceptor. Go with the Interceptor. To me its less money, better oil.
'02 MXZ 600

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
[in my opinion amsoil sucks because it is not fully synthetic it is only a synthetic blend plus it stinks when it burns. I personnally like Klotz its what i run in my 97 skidoo mxz 583 and it smells good also. I also run 4 stroke Klotz in my 99 honda 400ex, which is for sale

[snapback]295377[/snapback]​
[/quote]

how rich is your sled running. amsoil interceptor can't suck if the dealer approves it AND lots of people run it and like it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
iansmxz said:
[in my opinion amsoil sucks because it is not fully synthetic it is only a synthetic blend plus it stinks when it burns. I personnally like Klotz its what i run in my 97 skidoo mxz 583 and it smells good also. I also run 4 stroke Klotz in my 99 honda 400ex, which is for sale

[snapback]295377[/snapback]​
how rich is your sled running. amsoil interceptor can't suck if the dealer approves it AND lots of people run it and like it.
[snapback]295836[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Any racer will tell ya that amsoil is the best oil out there, And it is fully synthetic I dunno who told you that it's not

1 - 15 of 15 Posts