Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thought occured to me over the loooooong summer waiting period, because I've got big track and small motor (relatively speaking). So then I hear people are actually doing it, and see all the talk and pics over on Snowest. So has anybody taken the hole saw to their tracks yet? Particularly Gade tracks? Or Summits? Or know someone who has? Feedback and pics appreciated!

·
Registered
618 Posts
done it... 1" spade bit on my drill, put in 2 holes per lug... track is incredibly more flexible, i've experienced no ill side effects yet... only reason i tried it was cuz i bought a used 136x1.75 track for only 200 bucks... on a brand new track it would be difficult to do for me to do... but, so far the experiement has been successful, no appreciable signs of wear, no loss of floatation that i could tell... i would do it again

·
Registered
483 Posts
Maybe you can expand on that I understand the concept but here is my thoughts
with the extra holes does snow build up in the suspension any worse what I mean is you know how on slushy snow trails the crap build up makes your sled weigh an extra 200 lbs is it worse , do you feel you loose any traction ? what gains have you felt??? pros cons? dont mean to be nosy but I see the west coast guys doing it
on the big track mnt machines but I am not sure what it would do for them ??? I would love some clearification I cant reall find any good info some of the shops out west I build motors for seem to be against it actually I have not talked to any that do it I am so darn curious about this mod anyone jump in would be great
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Look over on the Mtn section for some of my post on my 05 550 Summit.
I think the picture of my sled you might be able to see the holes. They
are rectangular and between them and taking off the clips, took 7 lbs
off of a 136 X 16 X 1.75. The holes take a small amount of weight off
but mainly make the track much MORE flexible so it bends easier over
the rear axle wheels and the drivers and you get more track speed.
It is also believed that it throws snow out better and also lets more snow
in to lube the slides. Don't know how to account for that but am sure somebody
over on snow west did.

Good Luck

PS It works great

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You ca neasily see the pics on the carbon fiber/Kevalr sled in the mountain fourms. It has alot of holes in it. And in the rails

·
Registered
568 Posts
i drilled many 1.25 ich holes in my track (1.5 bombardier ) in the 1-2-2-1 pattern, has held up very well, no signs of weakness or stretching, might auger it out to 3-2-2-3 pattern in the spring and see as ive torn alot of lugs off so far this year pulling wheelies in shallow snow.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know how I missed the Kevlar thread. That thing is sick!
There's no doubt in my mind that a mountain sled would benefit from this mod. I'm wondering how it would affect a 'cross-over' type sled that would spend quite a bit of time on the trails or in poor snow conditions.
Anybody else?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts