Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Looking to swich out the not so round brp drivers to Avid or Whal bros . Wahl bros is cheaper , but they are cast not cnc made like Avids . Are they both round ? Thinking Avid is the way to go .

Want to put studs , but can´t bare to cut down the 2.25 track . A friend pointed out that i could install Hillclimb type screws .

They´r cheap atleast . I only ride backcountry , no trails . Anyone have experience with these ?

Any imput welcome that comes from experience or knowlige . Opinions not needed .

Thanks !

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
My opinion on studding a 2.25 track that won't see trail is..... Oh wait, never mind.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How stupid would it be to use a 2.25 track on trails , Oh wait , nevermind ..

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
avid drivers are not round there hexagon, you cannot install ice screws in your track with out cutting it down. if you only ride backcountry why would you want studs?

·
Registered
276 Posts
My reason for looking at diffrent drivers is that brp drivers are round , but they are off center . Wich tensions and de tensions the belt , wich makes for vibrations and power loss . So round or hexagon Avid should provide " stable" belt tension . Since they are cnc made , not cast . And not off center

The studs . I ride from sea level up to maybe 4000 ft at best . Conditions here are rarely powder , on a good day maybe 10-15 in of fresh snow .

Ice is something i see somwhere on almost every ride . And studs give good traction even if i´m not riding on ice . Climbing a 500-2000ft hill and finding a say 30-50 ft ice patch at the top of the hill makes for a real intresting situation . And one that i´m not particularly intrested in encountering without studs .

With luck or speed you can make it up over that ice patch . you may need to steer onto small rocks sticking out of the ice and pray you make it . And if you do , that your track is not hurt . Then there is the worst case senario . The sled dead stops any you go backwards down the way you came . Can´t say i like my options , but i think i´m trying the hillclimb screws .

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
so my question is why would buy the Freeride, if your only ever encountering 10-15 in of powder? I think I would've bought a renegade xrs or something with a shorter lug track, all the bracing and shocks and the realistic ability to actually stud the track. Just curious. I'm not really understanding the need for the Avid drivers either.... I guess I don't have enough seat time to tell the difference between round and hexagon drivers. I would think a clutch kit could make your power transfer more efficient and you'd have more ability to tune that as well.

·
Winter Activist
1,271 Posts
you wont be studding a 2.25 track, a 1.75 would have been a wiser choice. if your riding 15-30 inches you would never even need the 2.25, if you stud a 1.75 you have a snowcross setup, still good in snow but hooks on hard pack and ice. sled has nothing to do with where you ride, guys around here have 146 sleeds to ride trail, id say cut the lug down to 1.75 or looks for someone who wants to straight up trade for a 1.75 and stu with 1.875 studs, double backers. I wont comment on the drivers because I dont think it would make much of a difference worth spending the money. p.s dont forget tunnel protectors

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XRS has the same shock setup , and a useless soft lug 1.75 track . The 2.25 in the freeride is much stiffer . The XRS´S and the freeride share the same tunnel support , from the Rs . Been using a 121" rev for 10 years and it is just too short sometimes ..Conditions can go fram 1 ft of fresh to 4 . Or anywhere in betveen . Your right about the snowcross setup that would be the way to go , but a 1000 bucks on a new track and studs vs 35 dollars on 250 carbide screws , used by hillclimb racers is a real gap in cost diffrance .Don´t like the screws , never have . But was hoping for input from someone who had tried it ..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Won't last, sell the track, 1.75 track or 1.6 cobra clutched right will be more than sufficient. 4 ft of powder isn't drastic by anymeans. Once you send a screw thru your cooler you'll wished you don't it different. As far as drivers, I have never heard of condition you have unless something is broken. The drivers must be truly round, any out of round condition would cause vibration the bearings wouldn't last. Remember drivers hook to gears and chain before getting to belt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts