Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 MXZ-X 600 HO SDI
I want to be able to set the sled up with out the sway bar, for better bump control.
I do have the next size stiffer springs on my sled, but I think the 440 springs are even stiffer yet.. Is that correct ???
Right now the sled dives really bad with the current springs and shocks.
I was planning on getting different shocks, Ohlins, Works Performance, or Axis..
I like how the suspension reacts to the bumps with it off, but it dives way to much.
I do not race snow cross, but do cross country racing, and the sway bar makes me get arm pump, where as with it off, it takes a lot longer to get tired..
Any Ideas,,
Thanks Guys
Is it a bad idea to have it off if Im not Snow Cross Racing ??

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,313 Posts
No you can run without a sway bar for cross country racing. I run my 03 440X Gade without a sway bar and am getting use to it for on and off trail riding. At first I had my shocks vavled stock which was really stiff. I had them revalved a bit softer and now I noticed alot more front end roll in the corners. I stiffed up my spring preload and that helped some. I just adjusted my clickers and am going to try that this weekend. But I don't see why your sled is diving into the corners?? It should be getting alot of inside ski lift without a sway bar and fairly soft shock valving and mid-stiff springs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SkidooSteve12 said:
No you can run without a sway bar for cross country racing. I run my 03 440X Gade without a sway bar and am getting use to it for on and off trail riding. At first I had my shocks vavled stock which was really stiff. I had them revalved a bit softer and now I noticed alot more front end roll in the corners. I stiffed up my spring preload and that helped some. I just adjusted my clickers and am going to try that this weekend. But I don't see why your sled is diving into the corners?? It should be getting alot of inside ski lift without a sway bar and fairly soft shock valving and mid-stiff springs.

[snapback]741163[/snapback]​
It rolls pretty bad, Im going to try stiffening the spring preload more,,,
Are the 440 springs stiffer than the springs I am using,,, I know they are a lot longer..
Remember, I have the next size heavier than stock springs in my sled right now,,,
Some people recomended the 440 spring, but I donr want to get them if there not stiffer than the one I have now..
Thanks for the info,, let me know what you figure out this weekend with your new settings..
DONO

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chromeladyracing said:
Thought I was gonna kill myself, the first time I rode without the swaybar in my 440. It takes some getting used to!!!
[snapback]742199[/snapback]​
Hows the cormering once your used to it ??
I thought the same thing, it was csary at first turning, but I didnt tighten the springs up to counter some of it...
I think Im going to try the 440 springs on there next time,, and see if that helps the rolling or diving feel..
Hopefully it wont take away the sweet bump ride with the springs stiffer..
Thanks,,

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,313 Posts
I also replied the same here: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92113

I don't use a sway bar, but I have mixed thoughts now that I got my shocks revalved softer. Stock the front end didn't roll much in the corners on the softest settings. Now I have the springs preloaded some and the brass screw turned in almost all the way to keep the front end from rolling too much in the corners. So now the front end is as stiff again as it was when it was stock, just to keep it tame in the corners. I'm sure that landing off balance and staying on the sled makes it worth while not having the sway bar in. You just have to get off the seat farther in the corners is all.

·
Registered
683 Posts
SkidooSteve12 said:
I'm sure that landing off balance and staying on the sled makes it worth while
[snapback]751399[/snapback]​
Well put, I sold one of my 03's to my nephew's buddy last weekend. I had the sway bar in it as it was my wife's sled and she's not jumping too much yet. I know what kind of riding this kid does and told him he should take the bar out. He was not sure so I told him to try taking a few jumps with his sled (the one I just sold him) and then do the same with my nephews rev 440 which does not have the sway bar in. He was back in a half hour to yank the sway bar.

I ride without the bar on my 03 and ride standing 95+% of the time. Love it in the landings and in the trails. I ride the shocks/springs in stock form as well with full loose on the fast and slow adjusters all around. I love the fact that I can static drop this thing off a 6' high snow bank onto a road or a high rock/cliff onto minimum powder and it's like landing in an easy chair.

Re the spring rate - the doo race manual should have the spring rate for most of their coil springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.