Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question before I change my track, in the How-to, What is being referred to here ("the bearing seal has the spring in the correct location")...

"Some people remove the entire chain case, but I didn't and it seem to work fine for me. You just have to make sure the bearing seal has the spring in the correct location so it doesn't fall apart while riding and cause a leak.

Before re-installing the bearing later, make sure the center seal has the "sping" in the correct spot on the seal. Then you can install the bearing by pushing the bearing into the chain case over the drive shaft with a socket that fits the smaller/inside of the bearing just around the drive shaft."

If someone can clear this up for me that'd be great!

·
Registered
404 Posts
FYI....the oil seal on the tunnel side of the chain-case has a single lip oil seal pressed into the case, the seal uses a stainless steel spring to maintain tension on the rubber seal in contact with the drive axle. When re-installing the chain-case and/or drive axle into the tunnel + chain-case it is very easy to pull the spring off the inside lip of the seal and will cause premature failure of the chain-case oil seal. There is a single seal on the bearing (facing the oil bath) as well but the primary seal is the single lip rubberized unit pressed into the chain-case.

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
just take the chaincase off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts