Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Looks like I might have come up with a 583 to replace a blown motor in my '99 MX-Z 500. It was the original motor and I lost a crank bearing. The sled is all stock with 11,000 miles.

A number of folks said there were a variety of motors you could "bolt into" the existing mounts of this sled including the 583.

If I do this, is there anything I need to be aware of? Same pipes, carbs & clutch? Anything else?

Great forum with great advice so thanks for considering!

Tim

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks like I might have come up with a 583 to replace a blown motor in my '99 MX-Z 500. It was the original motor and I lost a crank bearing. The sled is all stock with 11,000 miles.

A number of folks said there were a variety of motors you could "bolt into" the existing mounts of this sled including the 583.

If I do this, is there anything I need to be aware of? Same pipes, carbs & clutch? Anything else?

Great forum with great advice so thanks for considering!

Tim
It will all bolt together, however hte clutch settings, carbs (vm38 vs vm40's if your swapping the same year) and pipe will not be correct. Will it run? Probably. May it blow up? maybe. Will it be running to its potential? No. If the engine is available get the carbs and pipe too. You can change the clutch settings yourself.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
583 requires a different primary clutch. Carbs you can run the 38s, use the specs off of a stx, to get more potential run 40s and run MxZ specs. You will need the pipe off of a 583. Clutching run MxZ 583 specs as a baseline.

·
RV Mod Maniac
1,660 Posts
no 670's floating around? same clutch taper on the 670 and more power than the 583.

·
Registered
754 Posts
583 requires a different primary clutch. Carbs you can run the 38s, use the specs off of a stx, to get more potential run 40s and run MxZ specs. You will need the pipe off of a 583. Clutching run MxZ 583 specs as a baseline.
I would NOT use specs off an STX different pipe and airbox vs the S chassis 583

Use the 97 Formula 583 or 98-99 Formula Deluxe 583(97-99 GT 583 also) specs as it had the 38mm carbs and all were in the Schassis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts