Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2012 MXZX 600 e-tec that I take to the dealer every fall before riding season and have them give it a full check over but am finding out that they are not doing much of anything besides charging me a bunch of money. dropped sled off with a friend as he said he would pull my shocks so to be rebuilt and he noticed that the bearings were shot and I have only logged 300 miles this year so figure shop should have noticed this when replacing sliders but they somehow didnt. I am wondering when do most people do what to their suspension as far as shocks and bearings ect

·
Registered
542 Posts
I replaced all bearings in rear skid at 5500 miles. 2 were bad. This was my second ski doo and the skid bearings seam to last a good 5000 miles. Then for what it costs just replace all. It cost me $65 for all aftermarket bearings. I used to ride arctic cat. You knew when those were bad because the wheels would just roll past you.lol! And those the bearings are not replacable. You have to buy the whole wheel. After that "good by cat"

·
Registered
244 Posts
I usually don't have any problems with the bearings, but the wheels come loose around the bearings, so the perfectly good bearing can just fall right out of the wheel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all bearings are being replaced and shocks are being rebuilt and revalved for the style of riding my wife and I do and we will be having my buddy do our annual fall check over from now on , tired of paying the dealer to do what he wants and not look after the sled as they are being payed to do

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I have never had bearing last longer than from season to season since the 6205's weren't used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sent all my hpg clickers for revalve and rebuild to Hygear suspension. They were super professional. Called my when they got the shocks apart to tell me what they found , in my case they found pitted shafts and the rear shock someone modified instead of valving properly (which was causing a lot of adjustment problems) and they repaired everything. When I got them back I thought it was cool that they put all the parts they replaced in a bag and circled all the bad spots. Will definitely be doing more business with them !

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I replaced all bearings in rear skid at 5500 miles. 2 were bad. This was my second ski doo and the skid bearings seam to last a good 5000 miles. Then for what it costs just replace all. It cost me $65 for all aftermarket bearings. I used to ride arctic cat. You knew when those were bad because the wheels would just roll past you.lol! And those the bearings are not replacable. You have to buy the whole wheel. After that "good by cat"
Not true, you can replace the bearings in a Cat idler wheel. But usually by the time a bearing is worn out, the rubber wheel is getting in rough shape, so it usually makes sense to just replace the whole wheel.

I don't know what Yamaha does with theirs , but for some reason their idler wheels seem to last longer than the other 3 brands.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
A friend of mine has been repacking his bearings himself for years. He even repacks a brand new bearing/wheel. After seeing just how little grease is in a new bearing/wheel, I now repack my own as well, you'd be surprised to see how much sand and water gets into a new sealed bearing in just several hundred miles. Grease is cheap, wheels not so much

·
Registered
72 Posts
I replace all skid bearings at 3500 miles its really cheep to do it yourself. I had a bearing go out and lost the wheel so that's why I stay on top of that

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
A friend of mine has been repacking his bearings himself for years. He even repacks a brand new bearing/wheel. After seeing just how little grease is in a new bearing/wheel, I now repack my own as well, you'd be surprised to see how much sand and water gets into a new sealed bearing in just several hundred miles. Grease is cheap, wheels not so much
I find that after the season the crap inside the seal me me not to chance it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Cleaning and repacking the oem BEARINGS after second season will give you good life. Avoid using cheaper after market bearings, they don't last. Their seals are poor and metal seams to corrode easily. Once a bearing gets ruff, replace it.

Repack with a quality grease like Mobile 1 syn. after you clean out the old. Inspect for corrosion with magnification, scrap bearing if any spotted. Polish the metal seal area so that the seal contact a smooth surface. Use lots of grease. Having a small press makes the work go faster.

Your cultch and brake side driveshaft bearings need attention too but that's another story.

If you ride in crap like sandy salty slop, well you will have more trouble. Repacking like above may not help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts