Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious , has Supertrax mag ever made a prediction that became realality ? They are speculating for second year in a row that brp will release the etec II for this coming model year . And possible rumors of a boosted 1200 mach Z with 180 ponies .

Gee , I hate when they do that . Never gona happen ! (a turbo Z that is ).

One things for sure , its time for for someting new.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just curious , has Supertrax mag ever made a prediction that became realality ? They are speculating for second year in a row that brp will release the etec II for this coming model year . And possible rumors of a boosted 1200 mach Z with 180 ponies .

Gee , I hate when they do that . Never gona happen ! (a turbo Z that is ).

One things for sure , its time for for someting new.
There probably will be an Etec II in the near future but I wouldn't be looking for an earthshaking improvement over the current Etec which is a great engine. There are always some improvements made as the years pass but too many out there are always looking for a slam dunk change.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
that e drive clutch would never handle a turbo anyway........have to start all over with that one

what would an etec ll be??????

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows the difference between the ETEC and G2 motors in Evinrude outboards. About all I could tell was cable/fuel line management...and price.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,595 Posts
Supertrax is that the magazine where the 2 brothers haven't got gonads to say it like it is so they have their friendly little he likes this and I like that?
Tell us what you really mean! :laugh_old:

Reactions: TIPARK65

·
Registered
559 Posts
Given the general lack of snow and likely associated lower sales for this year why would any manufacturer go big with changes for next year? Unless the changes have been in the works for 3-4 years not likely anything big from any manufacturer for next year.

This is not the auto or motorcycle industry. Development budgets are much slimmer and more difficult to justify. I think a lot of people forget the actual size of the sled industry is not conducive to change just for the sake of change.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,595 Posts
I might be wrong about that magazine it might be one of the others.
No, I think you pretty much nailed it...........somebody's paying for them to print impartial reviews......... :rolleyes_old:

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I like Supertrax for their well produced videos; especially compared to the ones from Snowmobile.com (good content, but embarrassingly poor delivery). However; all Supertrax's energy seems to be put towards stirring up crap, especially on Facebook. Is this coming??? Will SkiDoo release that??? Would you buy an Arctic Cat this??? If there was a snowmobile magazine cut out for social media, it would be Supertrax.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd settle for BRP simply working on the quality, consistency and durability of their products. Oillite A-arms bushings, grease fittings, true cranks, balanced clutches, clean oil in shocks: the little things that add up to a positive ownership experience. Nothing worse than the designers and engineers doing their part, only to have the bean counters screw it up.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
No, I think you pretty much nailed it...........somebody's paying for them to print impartial reviews......... :rolleyes_old:I was reading some
I was sitting on the potty reading the Trax that comes with the sled permit this morning and yes you are right.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd settle for BRP simply working on the quality, consistency and durability of their products. Oillite A-arms bushings, grease fittings, true cranks, balanced clutches, clean oil in shocks: the little things that add up to a positive ownership experience. Nothing worse than the designers and engineers doing their part, only to have the bean counters screw it up.
I would agree 100% but cutting corners seems to be right across the board in everything we purchase these days , example , look at how many recalls in the automotive sector on an average year , GM set a new record for the first quarter of last for nearly 30 recalls in 3 months.
Consistency and durability would not allow these company's to compete in today's market , they would rather spend the money on R&D and advertising than to send a quality product down the assembly line . And plus they make tons of $$ selling parts to repair our sleds so why build it better .

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,595 Posts
I was sitting on the potty reading the Trax that comes with the sled permit this morning and yes you are right.
Hey.....thanks for sharing that......."everybody poops" I know, but really could have done without knowing where you were when you were reading it....... :laugh_old:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hemi-ram, on 10 Jan 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

I would agree 100% but cutting corners seems to be right across the board in everything we purchase these days , example , look at how many recalls in the automotive sector on an average year , GM set a new record for the first quarter of last for nearly 30 recalls in 3 months.
Consistency and durability would not allow these company's to compete in today's market , they would rather spend the money on R&D and advertising than to send a quality product down the assembly line . And plus they make tons of $$ selling parts to repair our sleds so why build it better .
Oh I know. A free market economy is the ultimate democracy (i.e. we vote with our dollars), and as De Tocqueville said "in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve". Point being, if we, the consumer, demanded a better product instead of just buying the newest, fastest, coolest because the guy next door did, then there'd be no choice for the manufacturers. If we really valued our dollars as much as we pretend to - note the guys that ride $15K sleds and bitch at $150 trail pass to actually have a trail to ride on - then the things that we just accept as the price of admission today would be unacceptable. Damn - I've turned into my grandfather.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I for one believe there will be some major product introductions for 2017 by BRP, they are doo! Why do you think, they are offering such deep discounts and 0% interest for 60 months, its not just because of the poor winter. Most sled purchases are completed by the end of October with few sales later in the season. All I know is, its going to be a great year (2016) to buy a sled, whether its a 2016 or 2017. I believe you will see deeper discounts and continued 0% interest rates to move a glutted market. The year 2018 will be another market all together, higher prices and no deep discounts. That is my prediction and i am sticking to it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
its always hard to predict what they will do but believe etec 2 will make its ay in here soon. is a fully direct injection design as opposed to just in the low rpm range.. they will then have direct injection through out the whole rpm range. better power and economy than the current design. now bean counters will have a lot to say about this but it could help with emissions credits enough to still offer a carb engine for years to come.. that's good for entry sleds! as for a turbo.. I don't think they will do it. the 800 etec is more power then the average guys ever need and doo likes to let the aftermarket deal with the handful of nut jobs that want to go "faster"! its a tiny market percentage that wants a turbo.. I hope they doo, but I doubt it.. there are so many things and designs sleds could use to help customer interest other than tooling up new engines, like the ts ski for example.. lots of money to develop any new concept and implement it.. chassis wise its still the standard and wont change for a while.. plastics yes maybe.. chassis no changes my guess. and as for our industry... sled development and changes happen so incredibly fast for sledders we get new stuff continuously vs other markets! look at wheelers and bikes ect nothing changes for years on end in those industries compared to sleds. the one thing I think will continue is the suspensions.. new front ends and rear skid designs will be a big thing as ride quality is always at the forefront of consumers desires! electronic shock control that works is coming next!! I also see custom options like polaris for spring orders from doo!! warranty is a huge selling point and that will be another buying perk in the next couple years.. imagine 6-7 years of coverage.. will they? who knows! as of this writing I have 4 miles on my sled this year and its crazy we are talking 2017 already!! cant wait to see what happens! oh and I think the mountain market will be the new segment that gets all the cool stuff first! its booming and manufactures are looking west for sales.. the trail rippers are now a second thought! what ever comes down the line in 2017 will be very similar to 2016 with some small tweaks and improvement's!

·
Registered
429 Posts
is a fully direct injection design as opposed to just in the low rpm range.. they will then have direct injection through out the whole rpm range. better power and economy than the current design.
I'm confused about this, My etec injectors are directly on top of the cylinder. My understanding is injection only happens while the exaust/intake ports are closed at all RPM. Unless I am mistaken not sure how much more direct you can get.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows the difference between the ETEC and G2 motors in Evinrude outboards. About all I could tell was cable/fuel line management...and price.
The outboards are slightly different with ports, so not sure how well the sleds will compare in this respect. The G2 does have a taller combustion chamber which reminds me of some very old Ski-Doo heads. Not sure I would expect too much more since the ETEC sleds already appear to be stoic. If anything perhaps an increase in mid-range power and cleaner burning.

36.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm confused about this, My etec injectors are directly on top of the cylinder. My understanding is injection only happens while the exaust/intake ports are closed at all RPM. Unless I am mistaken not sure how much more direct you can get.
a fully stratified fuel charge is only done at low rpm in the current e-tec. that's where emission testing is done, low rpm.. after the rpms rise it sprays fuel more like a traditional efi system. the e-tec2 is a design that gives that uber lean stratified spray all the way through the rpm curve. its a more precise fuel delivery that will let it run leaner at high rpm. the current system then would be considered a little rich by e tec 2 standards.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts