Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

summit's on the trails

816 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Shaneo13
anybody out there ride 144 (or longer) summits on trails in the midwest area??

my local dealer has 1 144 summit x not spoken for and i have been looking at them for about 2 seasons now but never bought one and i am getting the bug to get something newer.

i don't ride the lake at all so i am not worried about that but i do ride 75 trails and 25 off trail. so a renegade is probally more then enough for me but i like to be diffrent. (plus summit's just look cool
and i make 1 or 2 trips out west where it will be extremely usefull to have the extra track.
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
brmrotax said:
anybody out there ride 144 (or longer) summits on trails in the midwest area??

my local dealer has 1 144 summit x not spoken for and i have been looking at them for about 2 seasons now but never bought one and i am getting the bug to get something newer.

i don't ride the lake at all so i am not worried about that but i do ride 75 trails and 25 off trail. so a renegade is probally more then enough for me but i like to be diffrent. (plus summit's just look cool
and i make 1 or 2 trips out west where it will be extremely usefull to have the extra track.
[snapback]912787[/snapback]​
You'll have a lot of fun with the Summit. The only drawback for trails is the narrow ski stance but I'd be happy to trade you my wider Rev A-arms and spindles as I'd prefer the narrower stance for powder riding out out here in the West. A win-win for both of us!

Cheers,

G MAN
See less See more
I have a 05 800 with a 151. I put on 1500 miles last year on my Summit with the 2" paddle track on. The only draw back is the top end speed is limited too 90mph and in the spring the hyfax will burn up quick on a setup trail. I would add an extra set of boggie wheels in the back or ice scratchers. The group I rode with was split between trail sleds and mountain sleds but I still would get just as good gas mileage as the mxzs and f6s that I rode with.
I'm with Gman on this one.. I think the narrow front would suck on midwest trails... I have ridden my 151" summit back here when my flat land sled was laid up.. but it was mostly cross country.. it was a handful on the few miles of trails to get where we were going.. that is if you want to keep up with some buds on 121"s with wide fronts.. If you live up north and do more exploring when on the trails you would probably be fine.. but you would definitely be happier with a wider front.. if you were trying to stay with some buds on mxz's....
I would say get the Summit... As stated, yes, you will not be going a 100 miles/hr. But, it is way more fun to get off trail, and try to get a few to follow you. You will be shocked how slow you can go up steep hills, and through the deepest stuff ya can find. It's a blast to do circles around your friends on their short tracks when they get stuck, they soon to will be converting or buying long tracks... Plus, if you go out west you don't have to rent a sled.

If ya start off the season on a Summit, ya barely notice the difference in width.
Summit X 800R said:
I would say get the Summit... As stated, yes, you will not be going a 100 miles/hr. But, it is way more fun to get off trail, and try to get a few to follow you. You will be shocked how slow you can go up steep hills, and through the deepest stuff ya can find. It's a blast to do circles around your friends on their short tracks when they get stuck, they soon to will be converting or buying long tracks... Plus, if you go out west you don't have to rent a sled.

If ya start off the season on a Summit, ya barely notice the difference in width.
[snapback]913216[/snapback]​
Get the Summit; Yes it takes a little time getting used to the ski stance, but if thats a problem it doesn't cost much for a widening Kit. I just dumped my 2001 summit 800 151 for a 2006 800 144. Everyone that rides a short track with me has made a 136 or 144 their next machine.... lots of fun off the trail, the traction is great on the trail, I live near Chicago and ride mostly up by Munising,
U.P. of Michigan.
See less See more
Go with the Summit. I live in the twin cities and have an 144 and love it in the trails. While it may be a bit tippier, you'll notice that the longer track helps smoothen out the trails. Plus you can't beat the pull off the corners with the 2" lugs.
You do have to remember what your driving in certain situations (ie ice or low snow conditions) so you don't end up throwing lugs. The advantages completly outweight the drawbacks. Fire it up you won't be disappointed.
I did this this year and without even riding yet, I'm happy with my decision! I have an 04 144" Summit. I basically have it ready to go for the mnts. I'm from southern Mn so I'll be riding the trails and ditches around here. I'm still considering scratchers, but I have the track drilled so that should help witth the cooling some. I'm not real worried about the narrow ski stance- even pulled the sway bar out. It might be a little more work, but that's part of the fun right?
And good answer Summit X 800R.I can't wait for that opportunity!
A MXZ with the sway bar removed is Useless in the tight trails, so a Summit with no sway bar will be rediculously out of control if you try and rail corners.
Just depends what you plan on riding.
Deadman are you serious? have you been on any sled bigger than 80HP? A summit fine on any trail..... but you better be ready to ride it like an 85 srv.... very narrow stance but if you can pull a good corner the HP will more than make up for a narrow stance.. and if not make the trail wider you have the track for it....
slam on brake ,slide into corner, straighten out and grab hand full
I love ridin my 151 on trails
put a 1.25'x144 on it and it will be a trail monster
I have had a total of 3 short tracks in my lifetime. And the rest were long tracks. And I wouldnt ride anything less! I currently have a 06 144 800X, and I ride mostly powerlines and the 144 is ideal for that stuff. I do ride the trails often too, and I dont have a problem keeping up with the rest of the b oys. They get mad when I rip past them and just pepper them with a hail of snowballs and whatever else flys out of my snowflap. Plus you get more HP's with the summit series than say a MXZ or renegade. I guess it all depends on the rider on the trail too... I would go for it if I were you.? Just my Opinion...

Shaneo
See less See more
Deadman is right on... an mxz or a summit without a sway bar is worthless on tight trails if you ride like most of the guys around here... I don't ride like that anymore.. and I seldom ride any more trails then are necessary to get where you want to be riding..

There is no way you can keep up... with a 144 or a 151 without a stay bar.. .and yea.. you guys have all done it macho macho macho.. yea right.. and do you do 300 to 350 miles in a day... Not just talking about cruising down the trails here I don't think...

I am laughing big time.. wonder why Doo doesn't just build a 144/151 sleds for trail riders then as well as mountain riders???? The 144 and 151's are a pos on the trails....

I suppose the next thing they will be narrowing up Formula 1 and champ cars and raising the CG .. so they can corner better ... heh-heh.. You guys are smoking some funny stuff...
djm said:
Deadman is right on... an mxz or a summit without a sway bar is worthless on tight trails if you ride like most of the guys around here... I don't ride like that anymore.. and I seldom ride any more trails then are necessary to get where you want to be riding..

There is no way you can keep up... with a 144 or a 151 without a stay bar.. .and yea.. you guys have all done it macho macho macho.. yea right.. and do you do 300 to 350 miles in a day... Not just talking about cruising down the trails here I don't think...

I am laughing big time.. wonder why Doo doesn't just build a 144/151 sleds for trail riders then as well as mountain riders???? The 144 and 151's are a pos on the trails....

I suppose the next thing they will be narrowing up Formula 1 and champ cars and raising the CG .. so they can corner better ... heh-heh.. You guys are smoking some funny stuff...
[snapback]917924[/snapback]​
I'm not saying its the "best thing on the trails since snow" I think its pretty darn good compared to a zx or an s chassis.?! But anything would suck if you take out the sway bar. I've done my time on the trails as well as the powerlines. Its just a web site turbo. Chill?.....
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.