Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m a yamaha driver who´s about to convert to Ski-Doo.
I´m hooked on the Summit X 800 144 - But couldn´t get one for this season - Was out too late.
This time I´m going the Snow Check Way - For the next season that is.
Thinking of buying the new Summit X 144" track - because of the terrain uphere in Greenland - where I live everyting over 144 is way too long!

I´m considering the Renegade X because of it´s maneuvrebillity og abillity to jump - a perfect machine for the backcountry uphere-
BUT my dear brother, whom I compete with - has aqquired a Apex Mtn 162"..!!

If I buy a Gade there´s none nor not much competition on the highmarking - Bit if I aqquire the Summitx.. Then we´re in buisness...! On the other hand....??

The pro´s and con´s on the two machines compared to each other??

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
Like any mountain sled vs. a bump sled .. the only real difference is track length and suspension. If both sleds have the same track length they will float in powder the same. The edge then would be for trail use .. the bump sled will soak up the bumps better ... so, if you trail ride more than off trail powder and like to do jumps on hard pack ... get the gade.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I own a Gade X and have ridden the Summit X, the gade with the coupled rear susp. and wider front ski stance is twice the ride as the summit. If you are primarily high marking than yes the summit all the way. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-How much manuevrebillity does one loose on the 144 Summit compared to the Gade 136 when boondoking?? I know - Some - but the narrower skistance on the Summit should favor it then? ..... Sh*¤, this is a bit frustrating, since I´ve never ridden one...
This is what the machine should peak in or at least not be left behind in and how high a priority they would have in my little world:
40% Boondoking

35-40% Highmarking/climbing

20-25% Jumps

Gade X 800 136/1.75 and Summit X 800 144/2.25 equals in torque and power??

·
Registered
946 Posts
i've owned both a 05 144 and a 06 gade. Only once this year in Alaska have i said that i wish i had a summit. My gade is awesome and i ride with summits every week. you need to ask yourself what's more important? In the spring is when you will shine the most. When the snow starts getting a little harder there is no way he is going to be able to jump the yamaton like the gade. I will also say the 95% of the time when you are climbing the only difference will be skill and balls. Ask Hatchers about my gade out with the 151 guys.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I think the BEST choice for next season for you would be New 800 Summit XRS 144....New 153 HP motor...Ti srpings, 440 shocks, reinforced A arms, Lexani hood etc...wider skis stance then older Summits (more stable)...

The Gade will have an old 140HP 800 Pwtk motor...1000 Gade is to heavy for type of riding...

·
Registered
61 Posts

The Summit is very good to jump around with on powder snow and soft spring snow.
Then it just depends on how much powder riding you expect to doo and how slowly you would like to climb / boondock around in your terrain. The Gade would be preferable if its mostly hard and crusty snow.
I would take the Gade if I was to stay at your place most of the time - If you plan on a move to Nuuk and keep your sled - the I would go for the Summit X 144"

By the way - the new XRS is only in 151" length. :-( Too long for my taste though..

Power wise I have not needed more than what my 800 delivers - but sure 155 HP could be nice to have, but not need to have.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
By the way! Me and a King Cat beat up an APEX totally in hill climbing on soft powder and yes it was a 162" - the guy only went around 2/10 up the hill and started to trench. Me and the King torpedoed up the hill and I had to let go off the throttle to keep my skis down.

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
DOOit Greenland said:
By the way! Me and a King Cat beat up an APEX totally in hill climbing on soft powder and yes it was a 162" - the guy only went around 2/10 up the hill and started to trench. Me and the King torpedoed up the hill and I had to let go off the throttle to keep my skis down.
[snapback]743107[/snapback]​
Sounds like a novice rider on the Apex to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Greenland, pizdets! I fly over you four or five times a year between my adopted home and my native land. Even in summer it looks you have plenty of snow! Must be snowmobile heaven there. How long is your season?

Gade or Summit? The choice is simple. If you are riding significant time on anything groomed or packed, the Gade. The Gade does well enough off trail, and puts the Summit in the shade on anything packed down, with its coupled suspension and wide ski stance.

But if you're mostly in deep snow, then Summit. The difference can be summed up like this: the Summit is optimized for deep snow, with decent trail ability. The Gade is optimized for trails, with decent deep snow ability.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a big country, so the season varies allot!
But where I live, we start the season slowly in Late November and end in late may.
If we go to the glaciers we could probably have a longer season. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would buy the renegade if I was you. The renegades are very fun machines, stable and predictable. If you are climbing on packed snow a renegade 800HO will have no problems sticking with an Apex. In the deep powder (bottomless) the summit would be the better sled. If you do buy the renegade put a 144x2x16 track on it, throw in 9 tooth exto's, a 8 inch riser and remove the sway bar. With these mods you'll be giving Apex man a run for his money on the packed hills.
Plus the renegades are a blast to jump really, really high.

P.S. I own a mod summit 144 and will be trading it in on a renegade X this year. And I ride the mountains of B.C. 99.9% of the time!

·
sledhead
2,241 Posts
IMO,

Summit 151 - if you love the deep POW and hill climbing, and hate the trails

Summit 144 - if you like a little deep POW, and don't want to get stuck

Gade 136 - If the love the trials and jumping stuff, and yes this sled will work fine in the deep, but you wont see it at a hill climbing event. Also, the gade a turn on a dime when compaired to a summit

get the gade if you dont see 3-5 foot of (fresh) powder on most of your rides

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all of your replies!

I think I´ll probably end up ordering the Gade X wtih 1.75 lugs. Anyone konow if one can get it with 2"´s??
-Allthough the Summit X 144 is stll the main attraction.. I´m going out on the weekend with both 144 and 136 Cats, so maybe there I can see the difference - and be more comfertable about my choice.
The season this year have been lousy here in North Greenland. My brothers hyfax´es on his Apex Mtn is allready worn down, because of all the hard packed trails we´ve beendriving on to get to the good areas.
A Gade is perfect for our conditions uphere - Not so many long steep hills, but plenty of playing grounds though.

The guy on the Apex Mtn, Dooit talked about, is a collague of mine, and is convinced that he´s got the greatest mountain machine ever....!-pretty experienced, but mostly in his mouth-haha

Good Riding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts