Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas what might cause an 800R to suddenly start running like the choke is on? The sled idles fine and performs great while accelerating if under moderate to heavy load, but is garbled when cruising at pretty much any speed. My fuel burn is about double what it normally is.

The plugs are new, the choke plungers on the carbs return to their full off position, and the Rave valves seem to move freely under finger pressure. The sled was fine one weekend, then bad the next. The problem does not vary with heat or time - it's very consistent.

I did notice the TPS clip had broken and was not tight, but a zip tie has temporarily reconnected it tightly.

My only remaining thought is that a carb diaphragm might be cracked, but I'd like to get other opinions before I begin tearing everything apart.

·
Registered
450 Posts
First visual check for loose/disconnected rave lines... then I would take the carbs out and clean and inspect thoroughly if you haven't already done so. When re-installing make sure TPS connector is tight as well as RAVE solenoids and lines. Also you might have a hard time finding a cracked diaphragm in the carbs

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 04 800 with 2800 miles , checked all the things listed above finally took to dealer to test DPM they thought maybe oring issue on DPM but it was ok. pulled the clutch off the egine and the seal behind it litterally fell out. Engine was not sealed proberly causing vaccum flow issues and would not run properly. they have the engine out now and decided to pull bottom end apart and also found I had a few crank bearings bad so needless to say I"m getting a new crank and lower end rebuild and clean up on the top end while I'm there. Also found a few reed petals broken wich could have caused a problem. But look behind the clutch and see if you have a lot of grease/oil leaking out if so you probably have the same issue i had. good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.