Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Summit X 800 HO Electric starter replacement

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rwillden1 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 2006 Summit X 800 HO and the starter is toast. I already tested the battery, RER/Start button and solenoid and they are all fine. There is 12.5 +/- 0.5 volts getting to the starter post. It just wont spin. If I spin it by hand it will turn a couple turns then crunch and stop. So it is done for lol. So my question is, how big of a job is it to replace the electric starter on a 2006 Summit X 800? Do I have to take off the Y-pipe and primary clutch? or is there an easier way to do it? The one bottom mounting bolt doesn't seem to be accessible. Also what are peoples opinions on cheap aftermarket electric starter motors? It seems that OEM replacement motors sell for between $150-$300 (depending on where from) where as I can get an off brand one for around $70 (ebay). Any info on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you.

#7 ·
Probably too late now, but I don't remove the clutch. If you remove the plastic bushing that holds the stabilizer bar to the chassis, you will see that there is a hole that allows access to that pesky bottom bolt.
Awesome! that's the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you. It isn't too late yet. Still looking for a decent quality aftermarket starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.