Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Ontario. primarily flat land riding. lots of boondocking, breaking trail, the occasional trail ride into the states. fairly aggressive riding

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Freeride or renegade, I do half on trail half off and live in Ontario and I'm just going to buy a shorty and put a 1.75 track on it. If you're an aggressive trail rider you will hate the renegade because it pushes a lot in corners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can handle a little push in the corners. like I said I'm only on the trails occasionally. it's mainly 75% lake riding. and snow waist deep.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you don't do any jumping or drops get the summit. If you do, get the freeride 146/154.

The renegade is a trail sled with a deeper lug track.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMO you do not need a summit in Ontario, if you think you do that's probably due to your lack of skillSent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He don't need one. Nobody actually needs one. It just makes riding that much more fun if your not getting stuck all the time.

Doesn't sound like he spends much time on the trails, instead rides fairly deep snow whenever he can. No he's not out west climbing mountains.

But the renegade is a trail sled with a deeper lug track. It still has the wide front end which will require more effort to lay over in the powder.

If all he does is ride flat land powder with no rough trail/ditch/jumping/drops. Then a summit would be good. If he likes to do the about above the freeride would be ideal. As it has better shocks and more bracing. I'm assuming he rides 80+% ooff trail.

If it's significantly less then maybe a renegade is better for him.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how stupid can you be? I've been riding since I was 5. I've ridden in swamps with neck deep snow. how well do you think the shortys did? not well. they turned around after getting stuck half a dozen times. and the gades and switchbacks didn't fair that well either. but my buddies with the summits? walk in the park. I know how to ride. so **** off

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I was debating the same thing but thinking the Renegade sport because I still trail ride. If you are 75% off trail I would go summit sport. Unless you are going to be doing high speed lake runs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you Kermit. I put a couple hundred trail miles on a year. then 1000+ off trail. the summit is just a much more fun sled. then with 4 year bumper to bumper. I'll be set. I'd love the free ride. but a little out if the price range. I'll be upgrading the shocks and doing some bracing on the summit if I buy that

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
IMO you do not need a summit in Ontario, if you think you do that's probably due to your lack of skillSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He don't need one. Nobody actually needs one. It just makes riding that much more fun if your not getting stuck all the time.
Doesn't sound like he spends much time on the trails, instead rides fairly deep snow whenever he can. No he's not out west climbing mountains.
But the renegade is a trail sled with a deeper lug track. It still has the wide front end which will require more effort to lay over in the powder.
If all he does is ride flat land powder with no rough trail/ditch/jumping/drops. Then a summit would be good. If he likes to do the about above the freeride would be ideal. As it has better shocks and more bracing. I'm assuming he rides 80+% ooff trail.
If it's significantly less then maybe a renegade is better for him.
you do realize the renegade has a longer track and is not meant for only on trail right, it's called a crossover. I don't know where you live but I live in Ontario and can tell you you might need a summit 2% of the time. renegade and paddle track would do just fine. especially if he just flat land rides like he said. There is no flat land where I live and I wouldn't want a summit, a 137" freeride would be nice though.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I can handle a little push in the corners. like I said I'm only on the trails occasionally. it's mainly 75% lake riding. and snow waist deep.
if it's 75% lake riding why in the world would you need a summit

·
Registered
314 Posts
you do realize the renegade has a longer track and is not meant for only on trail right, it's called a crossover. I don't know where you live but I live in Ontario and can tell you you might need a summit 2% of the time. renegade and paddle track would do just fine. especially if he just flat land rides like he said. There is no flat land where I live and I wouldn't want a summit, a 137" freeride would be nice though.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He said he rides in waist deep snow. So unless he is 2 foot f¥€k all the snow is likely 2+ feet. And yes I know what a renegade is.

I'm not referring to the lug profile height. I'm mostly referring to the front end. Renegade has a 42", summit has 36" and freeride is adjustable from 38"-40".

Therefore the summit would be the easiest to layover on its side. Plus the summit and freeride have tmotion when the renegade has rmotion. Tmotion is leaps and bounds better than rmotion for boondocking.

I'm not saying you can't get around on a renegade. I've actually followed my buddy on his 163" RMK while I was on my xrs with 1.25" track. The difference was I had to carry way more momentum to keep moving. And be much easier on throttle input when taking off.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well whatever he does he should at least upgrade one model from the sport so he can get a decent motor and better looking chassis

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well whatever he does he should at least upgrade one model from the sport so he can get a decent motor and better looking chassis Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks are something he would have to decide on. The powertek is a good engine in my opinion. It never had the dreaded rpm fade that the 800etec has. But that's a whole other topic and has been beaten to death on here.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeah I didn't realize the summit sport had the 800 choice since I've never looked into one

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the Ptek only comes in 154.. and that's a little over kill for trail riding. most days I ride in 3-4 feet of powder. I'm looking for flotation more then power. the 600 carb is a fairly capable engine and should do just fine

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hope some of this information helps you decide. I've been in the same situation as you. Except I plan to ride out west in the mountains from time to time. I like launching my sled through the air and dropping off of ledges as well. For that reason I'm gOing with the Freeride 154"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts