Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2008 Summit 800r 146 that has a fresh motor ( new crank w/ all new bearings and 2011 updated rods, pistons and rings, all new gaskets, and honed cylinders) made it 600 miles w/ no issues runs great but has a weird issue starting know after its been rolled our rode parked for about 3-4 hous it will will not start, when this happens the first coupe pulls sounds like its flooded and the needles on the gauge rise and rise till they get buried and come back down then it seems like it wants to start and as soon as it started it is a little load up but not bad i have found even when it is warm it starts easiest with full choke could it be a fuel pump or what any one else have an issue and if so what was wrong this ones got me stumped, the dealer said they herd of issues like this but could not figure it out they think it could be a short but i have spark all the time

Thanks

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Your post is kind confusing...it does this only when cold? after parked 3-4 hours? Or does it when motor is hot? Something about a weird issue after its been rolled?

If you rolled the sled and it won't start right away, its likely flooded. Hold the throttle wide open and pull. Its a carbed sled, its going to flood when upside down.

When you had the motor out, did you do anything to the carbs? If it sounds like it is floosed when it starts and it is a little loaded up with fuel I would start with the carbs and see if a float is sticking...pull of the air box and make sure the slides in the carbs are moving up and down freely as well. Check throttle cable for fraying.

And when you say it starts easiest with the choke on when its warm, do you mean when the engine is warm, or the outside air temperature is warm? Spring conditions sometimes require carb heat to be turned on to try and remove the moisture.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it happens when you ride it hard for a 1/2 hour or more and then shut the engine off and cools for a little (3-4hours) bit and, so the motor is pretty cool at this time when it gives me issues, it also happens when after its been rolled so it makes me think that it has a flodding issue when it just sits their and lets the engine cool down when i rebuilt it i did not do anything with the carbs when it got rebuilt but i did change the throttle cable because it was frayed, once in a while me throttle sticks so that does make sense to look at the slides and floats and it starts easiest with the choke when the engine is hot and when ever it goes about 32 degrees i put my carb heat on

thanks sorry if my post was confusing my teachers (softmore in highschool) have an issue trying to figure what i right down too

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Your throttle sticking is a pretty good clue.

Check the throttle for free play, any excess cable. Also check it for any pinch points. It could be after you ride its sticking slightly open and you are not aware of it.

Remove the lower airbox and have someone work the throttle in and out and watch to see if there is anything binding. Otherwise you can use a little mirror to do it on your own.

·
Registered
171 Posts
we had set the throttle slack what BRP's recomended so the is not the issue i will check for pinchs and the slides for sticking in september when i pick it up for storage (2 hours south of me) i am just makeing a list of thinks to check over before next season and trying to figure this issue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts