Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dudes!

Im looking for a Summit XP 800 08 or 09..

But i dont know if i want the 08 or 09.. whats the differents between these awsome machines?

Please feed me with info!

/Fredrik

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
they didn't change much from 08 to 09, I think they went with a different profile on the ramps is about it. As long as the 08 has ALL the updates done i'd probably go with that and use the extra dough to put DJ's kit in w/ his mountain ramps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The '09's had a stronger secondary clutch mount, less trouble with belt alignment, better seat foam, updated carb jetting and sealed main bearings for sure. I think there was a bit of an improvement in rear suspension as well, but am not totally positive on that. The '08's are OK if you get the jackshaft update and don't mind fiddling with secondary alignment.

Either way, a clutch kit is in order.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
what are the updates? =)
The main one was the driveshaft and they dropped a couple teeth on the top gear. 154s should have a 19t. Guess I can't comment on the clutch issue with my 08, I'm going on 800 miles on the original belt and still looks good. Other 08's in my group have been solid also. Like everything its a hit and miss, or
maybe I got lucky

·
Registered
80 Posts
The main one was the driveshaft and they dropped a couple teeth on the top gear. 154s should have a 19t. Guess I can't comment on the clutch issue with my 08, I'm going on 800 miles on the original belt and still looks good. Other 08's in my group have been solid also. Like everything its a hit and miss, or
maybe I got lucky
my 09 came with a 21 tooth on top

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
my 09 came with a 21 tooth on top
Maybe they switched them back after they figured out the belt situation. I actually like the 19t better performance wise after they swapped them out. More of a preference thing though.

Good luck, lots of good deals out there right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know about the driveshaft and about the clutching problems..Even if i get the 08 or 09 #1 is a clutchkit from DJ... what do you guys think about a floating seconday? And what about a Skidoo XP Clutch Tower Brace Kit?

/Fredrik

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
'09 had updated driveshaft, handwarmers, primary spring cap bushing material (mandatory for ALL '07-'08 IMO), oil reservoir, shock pressures, chaincase fasteners... (only the 146 had lower gearing for '09, 21/45 vs 23/45 in '08)....154 has 21/45 and 163 is 21/49 both years. '10 154 went to 19/45.
I would go with the '09 if you can find a clean sled for the right price.....lost of "little things" that are done nicer vs the '08, but nothing wrong with a clean '08 for the right price, just needs to be checked out and updated....that's what I did.
IMo the clutching setup went backwards in '09....that reverse helix is a joke for the hills. I'm kinda partial to the Rooster Built mountain clutch setup
...some good gains to be had.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing that scares me with the 08 is the clutching-issues... otherwise than that everything should be fixed, driveshaft ETC

Is there any fix to this? Im going to get DJs clutching and im gonna run the 377 belt..ive heard good things about the Clutch Tower Brace...

Any ideas?

/Fredrik

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a Summit 800 09

PERFECT Condition.. and older man owned it before me and it was new when he bought it...

932 miles

Electric start.. orginal belt!

/Fredrik

1 - 16 of 16 Posts