Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All,

A buddy of mine rides a 03.5 summit 144 and he can cat walk that thing like crazy. I recently purchased a 05 summit 144 and can barely get the skis off the ground. I tried the same settings as him with no luck. I loosened the limiter strap as loose as possible and it helped a bit but nothing neer to what his does. Does anyone know why? were there changes done? what can I do?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Boucher said:
Good Day All,

A buddy of mine rides a 03.5 summit 144 and he can cat walk that thing like crazy. I recently purchased a 05 summit 144 and can barely get the skis off the ground. I tried the same settings as him with no luck. I loosened the limiter strap as loose as possible and it helped a bit but nothing neer to what his does. Does anyone know why? were there changes done? what can I do?

[snapback]313584[/snapback]​
What is the center shock set to on your machine?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Front skid arms are not offset on the 03.5.

In addition to the strap and center shock changes, take as much ski pressure off your front springs as possible. If it's too soft and you bottom easily, go up to the 105lb springs, lightly set. Weight in the rear - as in gas and bag - help, too. Mine will pop up now on demand with the throttle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Boucher: By having your preload on your front shock completely loose you are creating more pressure on your skis. You need to have your limiter strap out like you already do and tighten the spring on the front shock of your suspension. This puts more force down on the front of your rear suspension. Also run your rear adjustment of your suspension as loose as you can (if it bottoms out take it up one notch). This will allow your suspension to transfer easier. I have an 05 151 and I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't believe that you will ever get yours to transfer weight light the 03.5 mainly because of the geometry change that SummitRev mentioned. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Summits are not a coupled skid - no front to rear, no rear to front. In the deep, you don't want any rear to front coupling to transfer weight as quickly as possible. Since they are not trail centric, front to rear is not important, just useless weight.

Ah, my 1000th post. I've wasted more time here, should be working on my sleds.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Like I said I am a flat lander........ this is what we doo to gain an advatage on another sled when drag racing

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
No problem, your logic is right. Skids are just different. Doo made this change to the summit skid to decrease the approach angle, easier to crawl up on the snow, and provide more ski pressure for handling. Can't say if it is really better. This skid is sensitive to tuning, small changes make a difference.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Boucher said:
Good Day All,

what do you mean by 'catwalk'? and why would you want to do that?
scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shredder said:
Boucher said:
Good Day All,

what do you mean by 'catwalk'? and why would you want to do that?
scott
[snapback]315757[/snapback]​
What I mean is if he is on flat terrain like a lake as an example he will catwalk just like a dirt bike for a long way. I know it probably isn't the greatest for hills but in Cochrane ON where I am we dont have big hills we play in power lines, ditches and slush on lakes. So in these cases it realy helps if the front of your machine doesn't plow snow, and it also impresses the $#*@ out of people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts