Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well there is your problem sir. Now I know what the difference in rear arms is in SE and exremes suspension

Now is couple options. Modify rear arms shock mount. Meaning have to cut notch in it to make clearence... Or ditch the idea and go for fox and pay the expenses of learning
To be able to use the longer Renegage shock in the SC-5U 20/24", it needs to be installed with the resy at the bottom, the center rocker bracket (503193464) needs to be changed for one from a expy extreme and the two rods need to be shorten 3/4".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep...
Only problem was almost 500 eur...

Waiting for totaltek, but it might not be ready for this season.

I'll put OEM shocks for this winter.

Got front in air, and it was devastating. All ball joints were sloppy. Right upper ball joint was loose and spindle was totaled. Lower A-arm bushings were really sloppy.

So front rebuild was reality...

If I had known how badly this was kept, I would consider twice before I bought this.

Well now it's like new... Only engine is driven 24000km. All other moving parts are changed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you use Mainway Solutions grease-able bushings, this would be the last time you changed the bushing, just keep them greased and your good to go.

On my 2021 gen4 on the front suspension they now use plastic inserts instead of metal bushings, no wear yet but i only had 1400km, so I greased everything properly and will keep a eye on them and as soon as I see some wear I will order Mainway Solutions front end kit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well now it's like new..
Sandman. I love reading about your projects, seeing the pics. This sport is not for the "weak of wallet". The complexly simple way these sleds work keeps me engaged. I'll spend close to $1,000 on fitting 20 idler wheels onto the MXZ, along with attempting to come up with a better way of keeping the upper two idler wheels tight. In the final phase, filling in the lightning holes in the rails so there will be metal where the wheel mounts go. All part of the fun. For me, well spent entertainment money. Most folks that look at the cost of bringing these sleds back to life as an investment would probably be better off in stocks. :- )

_Jack

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
Indeed. It's been a sore point for most people around the world where there prices in the USA are 3000-5000$ less not to mention they (USA) get things like radiators as standard while other counties have to pay for that. More specialized models in Europe like the Lynx ranger 49 have a ' VERY' premium price tag, like OUCH! So it's not unusual to see similar projects in Canada, Europe and Russia.
Custom built from basic steel and aluminum rods and stuff is quite popular since the cost is less and you can temper the steel to what ever the clients needs rather than crossing your fingers that the OEM one types fits all works. During the pandemic it has been easier to get base materials than it is manufactured ones.
And to be honest people have been gravitating towards more general practicality for several years now. It's why fixed up used sleds sell much better than new ones.
My local ski-doo dealer sold more old sleds than the new 2020/21 models. I know that brp head office didn't like that but what can you do with a 15,000$ sled that is barely capable of moving on it's own. You might as well spend the time and money on a decent upgrade to your current sled and have it last much longer and give you more in return.

I remember a while back when brp brought out their first sxs the commander. They had issues with the cv axles snapping (far too often) so people installed gorilla axles which in turn were too strong and the differentials broke. Sheesh.

Sandman. I love reading about your projects, seeing the pics. This sport is not for the "weak of wallet". The complexly simple way these sleds work keeps me engaged. I'll spend close to $1,000 on fitting 20 idler wheels onto the MXZ, along with attempting to come up with a better way of keeping the upper two idler wheels tight. In the final phase, filling in the lightning holes in the rails so there will be metal where the wheel mounts go. All part of the fun. For me, well spent entertainment money. Most folks that look at the cost of bringing these sleds back to life as an investment would probably be better off in stocks. :- )

_Jack

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fortunately I got the sledge for reasonable prize. Even after close to full rebuild 6years old macine owns me less than 9k

And nothing beats few late nights in barn fixing machines with 90s eurodance and case of beer

·
Registered
144 Posts
That’s a great colour, love the blue, that’s the XS chassis right? Nice.

·
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
That’s a great colour, love the blue, that’s the XS chassis right? Nice.
Yes, it's a 2016, XS chassis. What a great sled, it has 18000kms on its 600ACE and it was raised from the dead at around 12000.

Bulk vinyl wrap is just the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's been interesting to learn how to use... 50hrs of YT videos later lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Daughters Expy Sport
Labrador: Nice clean sled!! Blowing up the pic shows great detail work. Love the blue.

The two pair of lights that are mounted on the bumper. 😀😀. What are they (where can they be purchased). And do they work as well I would expect them to. I did some night driving last year and even with an LED head light, was not ideal. Ok. But needs improvement.

Thanks for the post.
_Jack

·
Registered
223 Posts
Daughters Expy Sport is wrapped, shocks upgraded, new skis/boots/seat and seasonal maintenance is done. Added a Nuvi with topo maps as well. She's good to go for the season.

Nice color for your daughter's ride.
Did you use 3M 94 primer in the deep creases to keep the wrap from pulling off?
When I did mine last year I did not know I needed to use the stuff and it started pulling out from the deep creases at the beginning of the summer.

·
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Nice color for your daughter's ride.
Did you use 3M 94 primer in the deep creases to keep the wrap from pulling off?
When I did mine last year I did not know I needed to use the stuff and it started pulling out from the deep creases at the beginning of the summer.
I liked her choice so much I did mine the same color. She says we're not allowed to ride together anymore lol. I used Avery Dennison Supreme vinyl, I find that it sticks well as long as you start in the low points and work your way out, or use knifeless tape to make a joint to avoid the "bridge" effect, without using the 3M stuff.

·
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Labrador: Nice clean sled!! Blowing up the pic shows great detail work. Love the blue.

The two pair of lights that are mounted on the bumper. 😀😀. What are they (where can they be purchased). And do they work as well I would expect them to. I did some night driving last year and even with an LED head light, was not ideal. Ok. But needs improvement.

Thanks for the post.
_Jack
She is very happy with it.

Those units are KC's and they are amazing, just as good as the Baja Designs XL80 on mine. Admittedly, since I do quite a few of these, I found a knock-off version of these at Princess Auto made by Ever Gear (they make a small Baja clone too and they're great as well) and I have used them on quite a few sleds in "light bar" formation, i.e. they can be used individually or tied together as 4 in a row.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I liked her choice so much I did mine the same color. She says we're not allowed to ride together anymore lol. I used Avery Dennison Supreme vinyl, I find that it sticks well as long as you start in the low points and work your way out, or use knifeless tape to make a joint to avoid the "bridge" effect, without using the 3M stuff.

I tried with the Wrap cut tape, was using VViViD wrap it is verry well rated but I find that there are too many ridges and deep valley's, probably my lack of experiance, I gave-up and used black bumper paint on my white parts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Those units are KC's and they are amazing, just as good as the Baja Designs XL80 on mine.
Labrador. I agree the standard lights are not enough. I changed the bulbs to LEDs and that helped some but still not enough for those dark nites. I looked at the lights you suggested. Ended up ordering two pairs of flush mounted LEDs, planning on using three. The plan is to mount one below the grill, facing forward and one each on the front-side angled portions. They will be slightly pointed down but the luminating angle should make up for it. Hooking them up to the high beam circuit. I have a different aftermarket bumper which turned out to be not ideal with the lights you are using. But did give me some different mounting options.

I’ll post a pic when I have them installed. Thanks for the idea. :)
Product Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
Registered
223 Posts
So hear goes my summer project 2021 Expedition Sport 900ACE.
Changed front end from RAS3 39" to Snowcross long spindle RAS3, look at how the steering is more upright compared to the stock one.
Painted white upper body panels with bumper black.
Installed led main light bulbs.
Changed primary and secondary springs for Daltons, lightened the ramps by about 0,7g.
Hand made a bunch of tools to work on the clutches.
Replaced skid shocks, rear is a Elka 4 and center is a KYB PRO 40 (Thanks Ian for the great service).
Having custom made coil springs for the front.
Studded track with 150 iGrip SS28R.

Attachments

101 - 117 of 117 Posts