Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Needs tuning.
Any modern shocks that will fit the SC-5U are intended for Renegade 137 r-motion and a few for the Summit 174 so they will need to be customized for your ride.
By the way they are 21.5" long and the centre shocks are 13.25" on the SC-5U so most older SC-3,4 or 5 will do but need re-calibrating.

This is what a SC-5U skid with KYB pro 40 and Elka 4 looks like.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was testing the exremes shock fitment at weekend.

I made bar where is holes 80cm apart for simulating frame mounting points. Intalled it in axels and installed rear suspension arms in place and rear shock mounted from bottom to see how they travel within suspensions motions.

I was disappointed that it is not fitting. Aux reservoir hitting bottom to track in rear bottoming or front axle in front suspension bottoming. Today looking epc an noticed that exremes rear shock must be installed upward reservoir down facing.

Needs retest to see if it fits when rear shock is installed in right way

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well there is your problem sir. Now I know what the difference in rear arms is in SE and exremes suspension

Now is couple options. Modify rear arms shock mount. Meaning have to cut notch in it to make clearence... Or ditch the idea and go for fox and pay the expenses of learning

·
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Was testing the exremes shock fitment at weekend.

I made bar where is holes 80cm apart for simulating frame mounting points. Intalled it in axels and installed rear suspension arms in place and rear shock mounted from bottom to see how they travel within suspensions motions.

I was disappointed that it is not fitting. Aux reservoir hitting bottom to track in rear bottoming or front axle in front suspension bottoming. Today looking epc an noticed that exremes rear shock must be installed upward reservoir down facing.

Needs retest to see if it fits when rear shock is installed in right way
??? We have already indicated to you that it hits, in the field. Several of us have tried this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
??? We have already indicated to you that it hits, in the field. Several of us have tried this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Yep... Information came to me little too late. Sounded to good idea but I didn't notice those differences in rear arms. I should I have to consult forum earlier...

Now I have to pay the price of impatience or make it to work...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Save yourself the headache now. It will never perform the way you want. I ran it for 1.5 season until a guy hooked me up with a really nice set up. It always sat low. But because me and my buddy both had it, it looked normal to me. Until we went on a ride with another sled that was stock. And boy did it run circles around us backing up in the soft snow etc. That’s when I knew I had to ditch it. And forget about the spring rate, we had the swt springs on there at the same time. To run that shock decent would require a crap load of preload and a crap load of rebound dampening you make it work. Then watch your spring supports wear through premature. Oh btw don’t go for the Polaris spring support ither. That’s another suspension boo boo that was popular for a short time until we all started cracking them. Too brittle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any modern shocks that will fit the SC-5U are intended for Renegade 137 r-motion and a few for the Summit 174 so they will need to be customized for your ride.
By the way they are 21.5" long and the centre shocks are 13.25" on the SC-5U so most older SC-3,4 or 5 will do but need re-calibrating.

This is what a SC-5U skid with KYB pro 40 and Elka 4 looks like. View attachment 1974478
I think that earliler linked model is no longer beeing made. For Renegade 900 ACE Fox offers 2.0 ZERO QS TRAIL SHOCKS (PAIR) - ADJUSTABLE - 853-52-010
Front looks bit long but not significantly.

Looks like it might fit with revalve?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Finally something getting done again. Gearbox rebuild with all new bearings and seals.

Shocks gives me headache... Everything I find to fit is no longer being made or is out of stock here in Finland.
One small shock shop is trying to make set for expedition for this season. Forecast are hinting for first snow. Beginning of season is closing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Folks. I know this is a Skandic / Tundra section. I am updating the MXZ first, then doing the Skandic next.
Working out some of the tricky parts. Parts are arriving. Boxes are piling up. Sled is in bits. First parts going together.

The list for the MXZ.

1. Clear plastic tube (High temp Silicone) and brass elbows to be able to see the chain case oil level. I plan to mount it on the front side, away from being kicked.
2. The MXZ gets (22) 3.325" track idler wheels instead of the 141 / 147 mm wheels. Yup, 22 on the MXZ.
I'm flipping the mounting bracket and moving it 2 mm away from the ground so there will be 4 mm between the bottom of the Hyfax and the bottom of the wheels. All but one wheel per rail will be doubles.
3. Brass sleeves between the rear coil springs and the shaft.
4. Upper A Arm brace.
5. Fan Cooled Radiator.
6. Second Suspension Strap
7. (4) Metal blocks in the back axle instead of the (4) black plastic ones.
8. Axial Compression springs to hold the two cupped upper track boggy wheels tight. Each held on by a diameter compression ring instead of the ring with the set screw.

Pictures soon.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Been so rainy here that I have not touched the snogo. I want to wrap the exhaust pipe to reduce the temp under the hood.
Go through the clutches and replace springs.

Found a scandic that I might try buy if the price is cheap enough. It has been sitting for a couple of years broken down.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Folks, I posted this in the XS section but wanted to show the Skandic bunch what I came up with.

I figured out how to mount a chain case sight tube on the XS MXZ.
I mounted the glass right behind the battery so the heat shield covers it.
The oil level is visible when you look down between the gap between the heat shield and the battery.
Used 400F silicone tube.

The whole things went quick and easy.
Slight modification to the heat shield next to the lower fitting.
The lower fitting is just above where my boot can touch it.

:- )

One of those fun projects. That came out perfect.

_Jack

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
Don't know if this would quality for this thread but i got a small shipping container that i'm making into a ice fishing/hunting cabin (of sorts)? A bit on the heavy side, but not bad.
Put on a metal roof that does have an attic space if you need it. Just enough roof angle to let the snow fall off. Has a small accordion style garage door on one side beside the main window.
Small door at the back. The rest is pretty much what you would expect. It uses either skis or wheels. A few coatings of gravel guard on the bottom of the container. Several coats of paint to finish things up. Wood and or propane stove/furnace. Inside walls and floor are insulated with some 3/4" packed rock wool insulation and a 1/4" thick tintest covering, floor is coated plywood. There is an air vent into the attic from inside the container. Fold out bench seats, tables, e.t.c. More of a long term cabin.

No this wasn't my idea. I seen one in Timmins Ontario and the idea stuck. I think it cost more for the paint itself than all the scrap old windows , doors, and such combined.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Folks, I posted this in the XS section but wanted to show the Skandic bunch what I came up with.

I figured out how to mount a chain case sight tube on the XS MXZ.
I mounted the glass right behind the battery so the heat shield covers it.
The oil level is visible when you look down between the gap between the heat shield and the battery.
Used 400F silicone tube.

The whole things went quick and easy.
Slight modification to the heat shield next to the lower fitting.
The lower fitting is just above where my boot can touch it.

:- )

One of those fun projects. That came out perfect.

_Jack
Neat.

Suggestion is to at least use fuel injection clamps instead of those awful gear clamps. Less chance of auto-draining your gearbox...

81 - 100 of 117 Posts