Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else doing a sled build up this Summer?

I have a 21 Expedition SWT 900T to get ready. Seems like a re-run but lots of new/more efficient ways to do things are floating to the surface.

Anybody else out there busy in the shop?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Labrador: Great topic. I'll post some pics in a week or so. A friend bought a 2022 Skandic WT / 900 Ace and has never owned a sled before. He would use my extra sled. He has ordered the parts to do the "normal stuff"

Stud the track

Tunnel guard

12 Volt Heated Visor plug

USB plug for the phone

Phone mount on the handle bars (for GPS / Maps)

Hand Muffs

When his bank account recovers, skid plate and wrap around bumper.

On my 2016 600 Ace MXZ (the one others ride)

Adding a fan cooler and changing the idler wheels from 141mm to 147mm. Includes welding up sections of the rails for additional idler wheel mounts to make it a true "18 Wheeler". I found a junk yard about 2 hours from here that will let me have a pile of wheels and mounts for a reasonable price. Will be driving up next week. I plan to double mount the idler wheels where there is room, so the inner and outer wheels are directly opposed. I have already added the forth back track wheel.

If adding extra slightly larger idler wheels works, I'll do the same approach to the 2014 Skandic. The Skandic has 147 Idler Wheels and there is a slightly larger diameter version that should fit.

I'm done over heating on marginal snow conditions. The MXZ has scratchers, but they end up tossing dirt and sand when the conditions are marginal. Plan on sharing lots of pictures as the project moves along and reality starts to take hold. :- )

_Jack

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
A couple ideas in the works here. An ultra light swt 4-stroke around 30HP (lifan 2v802f-2A) some what pogo ski suspension, still thinking about the type of skid and transmission.

I do have a modded 900 Ace engine stripped down to the block and with a new Bosch efi/ecu system sitting in the warehouse. No idea what i'm going to do with it.

It has roughly the same efi system that Honda off-road uses. Just an rpm and temperature/oil sensor readout left. Throttle mapped out to be more like the old V800 4-tec engine so broader and smoother than

the stock 900 Ace. It's a cable type throttle not electronic, so no tors or dess like systems, and no modes. The ECU is open source so you can program it yourself without special software.

Far fewer things to go wrong than a stock 900 Ace.

I have to pace myself or run out of projects at this rate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Samoyed. Oh, I'm filled with envy. What a great project. Engine development was what I did at one point of my carrier. A real rewarding job. Then moved into 'controls' development among some other stuff. But retired for the third time at the start of this month. Turning 70 in August, felt it was "time". Would love to hear what you are doing. Like how you are mapping the throttle :- ) Effective Flow Area, or Box Balance from a flow stand.

I do have a half torn down 600 Ace on the bench. I do not run any altitude. 1,000 ft above sea level most of the time. I was thinking about taking a "small amount" off the head to increase the compression, then re-pin the cams to correct for the timing difference. Run premium to avoid the engine knock risk. And see how much more zip that little engine could put out. What do you think? Any feel of how much to take off?

_Jack

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
@jack:

Will give the trim/stock removal amount some thought. It will be a challenge to keep TDC especially with having to tune the spark gap and timing as well and the cams/valves.
One thing of note is that when you remove much of the electronics from the Ace series engines you do get a decent boost in performance since it's not having to push 7+ amps to the ECU and all manner of rather useless features. That's also true of recent Yamaha and arctic-cat sleds.

·
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple ideas in the works here. An ultra light swt 4-stroke around 30HP (lifan 2v802f-2A) some what pogo ski suspension, still thinking about the type of skid and transmission.

I do have a modded 900 Ace engine stripped down to the block and with a new Bosch efi/ecu system sitting in the warehouse. No idea what i'm going to do with it.
It has roughly the same efi system that Honda off-road uses. Just an rpm and temperature/oil sensor readout left. Throttle mapped out to be more like the old V800 4-tec engine so broader and smoother than
the stock 900 Ace. It's a cable type throttle not electronic, so no tors or dess like systems, and no modes. The ECU is open source so you can program it yourself without special software.
Far fewer things to go wrong than a stock 900 Ace.

I have to pace myself or run out of projects at this rate.
Your Lifan idea. The Yeti snowmobile by Herbert Herve is basically this, it's pretty spartan but has surprising capabilities.

I often wondered what one of those Lifan engines would do in a 96-2005 Skandic WT or SWT F/C chassis. It would save a lot of time wet figuring out the chassis. I bet it would be a very capable and fuel efficient sled.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
@ L.B.>

I'm not quite aiming for what Hervee builds and he now has a swt model with a 20hp lifan 460 engine offered. I haven't check his pricing in a while.

I'm aiming more towards a Nordik 60 style from circa 1992 but with more of a 377 weight class for this project. Somewhere in between Hervee's and a brand sled. 29HP compact v-twin air cooled is good enough. The 50 and 60 model chassis were mostly steel at the time so a more modern aluminium should do the trick. More for a general purpose sled that can reverse in deep snow . I'l leave the overly heavy chores to my skandics.

Also just below is the only ref i had on record for a small 4-stroke in a skandic (aka yeti/tayga) wide track sled. The person uses it as a trappers sled and has since gone from 17hp to 20hp. He's still using it in 2021. Most of the engine swaps in wide tracks i have done have been roughly equal or better to the HP rating that was in the sled originally. Most people don't look to go smaller, however as you mentioned sleds like Hervee's are gaining momentum theses past few years. Although i really wish he would get off of Facebook as his main promotional site. He deserves better. He does have an instagram page but nothing has been uploaded to it and his youtube channel hasn't been updated in years.

The new dootalk forum format isn't bad. A bit quicker but has to load more scripts to compensate. We shall see how it fairs once it gets a significant load on it. There is a-lot of wasted space although it makes it easier to follow threads.

Your Lifan idea. The Yeti snowmobile by Herbert Herve is basically this, it's pretty spartan but has surprising capabilities.

I often wondered what one of those Lifan engines would do in a 96-2005 Skandic WT or SWT F/C chassis. It would save a lot of time wet figuring out the chassis. I bet it would be a very capable and fuel efficient sled.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts

doing a complete bare frame resto mod on my 93 skandic 2 gota get ahold of a local powder coater and track down some more modern suspension components

·
Registered
999 Posts
Not much happening in my shop. Few accessories on route that’s about it. But wait until around August sept and I’ll show a few of my plans that are in the works.

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
@Stoinewald1: The track isn't too bad. Back then the lugs even on the double tracks were not very tall. However yes you are down the composite fabric in a few places. You can use gravel guard to patch up those exposed spots in the mean time if you can't find a replacement track.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts