Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '00 Formula Deluxe 500 L/C and it has been a great sled until recently. It suddenly gets about half the MPG. It does run and go, but in extreme loads or at full throttle it will bog down and I'm not sure what it causing this. :( I had checked the carbs, but didn't find anything that looked out of order. Changing spark plugs seems to help for a short bit, but then continues to do this, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with the electrical system? I'm curious how to determine if the stator or CDI box or coil may be weak causing this?

I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has experienced this and what the cures were.

Thanks in advance! :)

Tundraaway

·
Registered
387 Posts
Check you primer. I fixed a similar problem on a friend of mine's skandic yesterday. He had the same symptoms. It turned out to be a bad check valve in the primer. Gas would flow through the primer once the engine was running and caused a severe rich condition. He burned half a tank in 20 miles. The fact that this started all of a sudden supports this suggestion.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
That is an odd thing because the check valve allows flow through it even when not pumping the primer... Maybe it is just how easy it will flow?

Normally when I hear a bog issue like this, I suspect the clutches. Maybe a button or ramp?

·
Registered
387 Posts
That is an odd thing because the check valve allows flow through it even when not pumping the primer... Maybe it is just how easy it will flow?

Normally when I hear a bog issue like this, I suspect the clutches. Maybe a button or ramp?
Really not sure how the internals of the primer function exactly. I'm sure it's simple just never really looked into it. When I fixed that Skandic the other day, I could see fuel flowing through the primer lines very quickly, straight into the carb. I changed the primer and the problem disappeared right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never thought about the primer causing this, but it makes perfect sense and I'll give that a try!

Thanks very much! :) :) :)

Tundraaway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts