Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this trailer used it's a 02 8.5 x 10 ft Tilt for $400.00 So will not complain all that much..

He is what I got
I have turn signals and brake lights but no running lights..
Ground issue ?? Fuse?

Help me out here I leave Sat Am and I don't want to trailer up there with no running lights

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought this trailer used it's a 02 8.5 x 10 ft Tilt for $400.00 So will not complain all that much..

He is what I got
Ground issue ?? Fuse?

Help me out here I leave Sat Am and I don't want to trailer up there with no running lights
check the ground, fuse and the plug. i had to put a new plug on a brand new trailer and i had marking lights not working. are you sure the marking lights ever worked. all minor and easy repairs unless you have a wiring problem. good luck...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing I thought was off on the ground was that there was no ground to the tounge of the trailer just the white connected to the white in the 4 pin connector.. Maybe I will go and buy a new 4 pin connector.

How do you ground the lights since the frame is aluminum ?

·
Registered
294 Posts
one thing I thought was off on the ground was that there was no ground to the tounge of the trailer just the white connected to the white in the 4 pin connector.. Maybe I will go and buy a new 4 pin connector.

Ahh trailer lights. Mine quit working propoerly about once a week. Good times.

Check to make sure your truck is sending current to the trailer. If so, check the trailer ground by connecting a wire between the trailer and your hitch or truck frame. You can use a jumper cable for this. If the lights work then you just need to properly ground the trailer to the truck. Each light is either grounded directly to trailer frame by a mounting screw or there is a ground wire running between the lights and a screw in the trailer frame. Check these to make sure not corroded etc. Sometimes just loosening and retightening the ground screw gets you back in action. You could always have a severed wire somewhere too. Oh and aluminum is fine for grounding the lights.

The connectors do go bad too. Sometimes the pins work loose or there is corrosion that prevents a good contact. check that too. good luck.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Last time i checked aluminum was still a conductive metal........ what is the vehicle? a friend of mine bought a used trailer that had all kinds of lighting issues that ended up being being problems with the factory trailer wiring on the year old GMC envoy they have. so dont rule out problems with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Check the fuse in your truck for the rear lights on alot of the early 90's on up the rear tail light has a seperate fuse my trailer had a direct short for the tail lights and keeped blowing the fuse in the truck. Good-Luck !

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the part that is throwing me off is that the turn signals work and the brake lights work so if I had a bad ground why do those still work and not the running lights??

I will ground the trailer direct and check all ground points.

the vehicle is a Nissan xterra and when we used the truck to move out other trailer all the lights worked on that one with the same truck but hopefully it's a fuse

·
ammunta katselija
1,698 Posts

He is what I got
Ground issue ?? Fuse?

My guess is that the wire to the running lights broke. If it were a ground problem most of the time it would show up be when you hit the brakes or a turn signal. The running lights will flash or dim when the turn signal is on. Also when you drive the trailer around enough many times you will get enough of a ground through the trailer ball after it rubs long enough to get a good contact. You can tell if this is where your ground is coming from if the lights flicker or go off if you lift up on the trailer hitch. Make sure you have power from the plug and then keep working your way back until you lose power. Then you can splice into the line for a temporary fix.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What kind of plug do you have ? If it only has 4 posts on it, One is a ground, one is left turn/brake, one is right turn/brake, the other is running lights. Start on the truck with a test light, then follow the trailer wires to the lights. First i'd try a ground strap it could be your problem. Every year I went through the same thing with my old trailer, I got fed up with it and bought a 24' enclosed, no more nightmares.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another thing to consider - if you have seperate turn signal lights (yellow lenses) that operate independantly of your tailights (red lenses), then you need an adapter for your lights to work properly with a flat 4 connector. Had that problem when I picked up my brand new trailer for my drag car. The adapter is a little black box that somehow makes them work like they should, and only about $15.00 or so at auto parts store. Good luck, it took me about 2 hours of messing with the wiring to figure that one out. My truck is a 2000 Chevy Z-71 if that helps.

·
Banned
1 Posts
YES. It was the fuse. Note, there are three fuse panels in a 2019 Suburban: under the hood, left of the steering wheel and in the trunk. The 10amp fuse for the running lights is located at position 41 under the hood. (Chevy provides a spare fuse and a fuse pulling tool on the backside of the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel). I paid $4.50 at NAPA for a box of fuses and the salesman said he doubted that there were separate fuses for running lights and brake lights. Anyway, it worked. Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts