Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok, soooo I just started the flying Nun replacement job. Grabbed my first of Old Mill out of the case, grabbed my spring puller, and took off the pipe. Then I thought, "well, let's get this plastic out of the way." This thing ain't like my quad man... Is it me or are the plastics riveted on? Do I have to drill those suckers out to get the plastics off? Also, what the hell do I replace all those big black rivets with after I drill them out?

I got the video camera out... I'm going to make a Rookie Workshop video. Completely at the other end of the master Ttab's Mod shop.

Help,
Turk

ETA: Be patient with me... I'm sure there will be tons more stupid question to come when i get deeper into this project.

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Turk84 said:
Ok, soooo I just started the flying Nun replacement job. Grabbed my first of Old Mill out of the case, grabbed my spring puller, and took off the pipe. Then I thought, "well, let's get this plastic out of the way." This thing ain't like my quad man... Is it me or are the plastics riveted on? Do I have to drill those suckers out to get the plastics off? Also, what the hell do I replace all those big black rivets with after I drill them out?

I got the video camera out... I'm going to make a Rookie Workshop video. Completely at the other end of the master Ttab's Mod shop.

Help,
Turk

ETA: Be patient with me... I'm sure there will be tons more stupid question to come when i get deeper into this project.

[snapback]732356[/snapback]​
Drill the rivets out and leave the holes - they're kewl!
Put the toolholder in the trash and the tools in the seat storage (also aids cooling).

Cheers,

G MAN

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I wouldn't even consider this job with out a well stocked fridg with PBR. Old Mil takes me back to my collage days!!! Hope your not making a major mistake right out of the gate!!!

You repair .... I'll critique!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...

News from the Rookie Workshop. Got all the plastics off the front with little trouble. I drilled the first few black rivets out off the front plastic and then got to the bottom four. You should have seen me scratching my head trying to figure out how the hell I was going to get a drill down in there. After a little beer break I noticed the notches in the plastic that seem to beckon a medium sized standard screwdriver and a hammer. Those little "edit for bad language"s didn't stand a chance. After that it was pretty much just unbolting everything. The hardest part seemed to be trying to figure out what freakin' order ever thing was supposed to come off in. I'm still not sure I got it all off in the correct order, but darn it, it's all off! All that's left now is drilling and grinding off the rivets out of the Nun and pulling the bent one out. After cleaning up my tools for the evening I was finishing off my last Old Mill looking at the job ahead. I'm contemplating cheating on my RH brace and grinding off the last two holes and just bolting that bad boy on. I know, I know, I'll only be cheating myself but really, what will those last two bolts do that the first three don't? My guess is maybe distribute the blow to the frame a little... But if it comes to that don't ya think you're already fracked anyway?

Oh well, I gotta hit the sack... Gotta go to work tomorrow darn-it!

This is the Rookie Workshop signing off. And remember kids, when all else fails just edit for bad language your pants, dive in, and swim!
~Turk

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
See service bulletin #10. Has all the directions and parts you need to fix the job. Also has some additional braces listed to make it stronger.
Use grade 8 bolts to put on the nun...screw the rivets.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here's were we stand this morning... Gotta go to work so I'll finish the tear down this evening.
~Turk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok,

I slacked friday night so I didn't make any progress after work. Sooooo this afternoon I dug into her again. After getting the Flying Nun off I discovered that my front bulkhead is blent as well.

Bummer... It's snowing here in Anchorage and my sled is in peices in the garage. Well, off to AMDS to order up a Bulkhead. Some advice from the Rookie Workshop, if you've got to replace your Flying Nun go ahead and order up the bulkhead too. This way you won't have to wait on parts like I will.

~Turk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stupid Newbie Question #2

What's the trick to getting out those rivets along the bottom of the front bulkhead? I've grinded the heads off but those things are in there!

Help,
~Turk

·
Registered
880 Posts
Turk84 said:
Stupid Newbie Question #2

What's the trick to getting out those rivets along the bottom of the front bulkhead? I've grinded the heads off but those things are in there!

Help,
~Turk
[snapback]734883[/snapback]​
once the head is ground off, take a punch and hammer and they will come right out.

What i used for the rivets that i couldnt get a grinder on was a dremel too with a small cut off wheel. Made a few slices in the head then took a Big F'ing Hammer and all mighty chisel and knocked the heads right out and the rivet came out.

I used 6mm bolts to put everything back together. With the 6mm's you have to take a drill bit and make all the rivet holes just a pubic hair bigger then the bigger hardware fits in there nice.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
batesfusion said:
... just a pubic hair bigger ...
[snapback]735365[/snapback]​
Batesfusion - your not exmilitary ... are you?

We used 'RCH' when discussing carrier ops.

·
Registered
880 Posts
ttabs said:
batesfusion said:
... just a pubic hair bigger ...
[snapback]735365[/snapback]​
Batesfusion - your not exmilitary ... are you?

We used 'RCH' when discussing carrier ops.
[snapback]735572[/snapback]​
well ttabs.....

nope, cant say i am. I had some other words to use but i had to appropriatize my language for this sector.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Turk... didja finish?

Just did my first nun replacement last week on a buddies sled, mine will be getting one this summer.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hey turk,
how bad was your bulkhead bent? I have the same thing going on. i know the bulkhead is bent a little but i am going to try and pound it out... I was just wondering how bad your is bent and why you decided to replace it and not take the hammer to it..
thanks
Scott

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shredder said:
Hey turk,
how bad was your bulkhead bent? I have the same thing going on. i know the bulkhead is bent a little but i am going to try and pound it out... I was just wondering how bad your is bent and why you decided to replace it and not take the hammer to it..
thanks
Scott
[snapback]751288[/snapback]​
My Bulkhead wasn't bent to bad. But you could see that it was tweeked out of shape. I didn't really think about trying to bang it back out. Why bang it out when and wonder if it's going to hold when you can go to the shop and have a new one for just over 20 bucks? I'm a pretty lazy person too... It's a lot less work digging into my wallet for a 20 spot then it is swinging a hammer!

Let me know if pounding it out works for ya.
~Turk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kbeefy said:
Hey Turk... didja finish?

Just did my first nun replacement last week on a buddies sled, mine will be getting one this summer.
[snapback]751130[/snapback]​
No.... DAMNIT! I got sent down to Colorado Springs for a two week trip so I had to put the job on hold. I get back to Anchorage on the 17th. All my bent parts are off and all my new parts are sitting in the Rookie Workshop. I plan on slapping that thing back together when I get back and getting one more ride in before I have to go to New Mexico in April.

I love when my Boss wants to send me out of town during Spring riding. Hell, I missed it last year too. Sometimes being in the military really blows.

~Turk

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
well, get that fridg re-stocked and get to 'er. Times a wastin'!!

Post pics along the way so we can see the progress.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ttabs said:
well, get that fridg re-stocked and get to 'er. Times a wastin'!!

Post pics along the way so we can see the progress.

[snapback]751791[/snapback]​
Don't worry dude... Getting that sled back together is the number one thing on my mind. I plan on digging into that thing as soon as I drop my bags on the ground, kiss the Off Base Commander, pop open an Old Mill, and get to work!

~Turk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, got back into town last friday night. I was hoping the Sled Fairy would show up and put my ride back together while I was gone but she must have been busy in ttab's Mod shop. Saturday morning I woke up to go to one of our local stores to get a bunch of nuts and bolts only to find they were closed. So, the Sled sat over the weekend which wasn't a big deal. After being gone for a few weeks I need to spend time with the "Off Base Commander" and not turning wrenches on the Summit.

So, yesterday I got everything I needed, stopped by my buddies house to enlist his help, and started turning wrenches. I think I'm going to name my summit "Nutz & Bolts."

~Turk

The attached picture is my cheap help... I found him standing on the corner with a sign that said "will work for beer." After this project I'm going to get him to clean the garage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts