Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had bought a used machine recently. The track was studded out and studs are in good shape. My question is the guy left all the inside studs in and removed all the outer studs from the track, ( outside the rails ) no rips anywhere just perfect drilled holes. Obviously nothing I can do with the holes but is that anything to worry about, leaving open holes? Thanks

·
Advanced Member
2,025 Posts
nope. stud holes are fine. Actually it'd probably cause more damage with studs left IN, on the outside of the track due to them flexing in turns and wanting to tear out. you'll be fine.

How many studs are left up the middle? too few and it will cause damage too. I'd hafta say 96 to 108 at the minimum to be safe with the 670.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure how many in the middle there are quite a few though. My buddies track blew to pieces last year on a Formula 3 and it is because the clown before him studded the hell out of the outside. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
161 Posts
its like porting out ur track its probably better than not. Porting keeps snow from builting up and reduces weight it will be like a mini version of it. The hole wont damage anything

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just bought my sled used from a guy and he had the track set-up in this manner..a couple other guys on dootalk have said they haven't seen this stud pattern before..do any of you think it will be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
I just bought my sled used from a guy and he had the track set-up in this manner..a couple other guys on dootalk have said they haven't seen this stud pattern before..do any of you think it will be a problem?

Thanks for your help.
You need to index those square backers so that they are all parallel with the lugs. When they are at a 45* angle to the lugs like the outside ones are in the pic, it puts too much stress on the track at the point of the backers. Thats why round backers or double backers are easier to work with. Studs on the outside of a two ply track aren't quite as hard on a track as they are on a single ply. As long as you don't stud every outside window. One every third or forth window on the outside will be fine on a two ply. I would not stud the outside of a single ply at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts