Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, im a new dootalk member, but have been in the sport for 14 years... I have a 2002 mxz 800x that i bought new this last summer as a left over sled. I have about 500 miles on it from this year and i was thinking of studding the track, especially after running the radar run on Little St.Germain lake in St.Germain Wi... I was wondering if i should by a new predrilled track with deeper lugs and stud that one or stud my stock track that is basically new... I would like some in put and suggestions on what to do and what stud size i should use for my stock track...

·
Registered
254 Posts
02800x said:
Hey everyone, im a new dootalk member, but have been in the sport for 14 years... I have a 2002 mxz 800x that i bought new this last summer as a left over sled. I have about 500 miles on it from this year and i was thinking of studding the track, especially after running the radar run on Little St.Germain lake in St.Germain Wi... I was wondering if i should by a new predrilled track with deeper lugs and stud that one or stud my stock track that is basically new... I would like some in put and suggestions on what to do and what stud size i should use for my stock track...

[snapback]290203[/snapback]​
Your 800 should have a 1" lug track. I'd install 120, 1.15" studs in the middle belt. This will not affect the cornering of your sled and give you good traction.

·
Registered
179 Posts
make sure you stud only in the middle. blew out my track today
that had 196 picks in it. bought it like that. even though the track was new it still blew. 144 max. right down the middle. on my next track. 196 is too much, 96 is too little.

·
Registered
979 Posts
pal03246 said:
make sure you stud only in the middle.
[snapback]290348[/snapback]​
Running down the middle gains you nothing. When correctly installed, studs on the outer belt will not have any more chance pulling through, than studs installed in the center portion.

Running 192 properly installed studs, in a 130-160hp machine will give you the best hookup, and reliability.

Running in the center and outer belt, will improve cornering,braking and holeshots.

People need to get off this "Only run down the center" bandwagon.

Running an excessive amount of studs down the center, will cause the track to want to fold in the center under roational forces, causing cords in the track to weaken and possibly break. If you do decide to run down the center, run no more than 144 studs, and keep them as spread out as you can.

Cory

·
Registered
211 Posts
120 down the center!!!! I'm missing 7 on my track and I have 144 staggered all over. every stud that pulled out was on the edges. All you need is down the center, then they won't pull out when you're ripping around the corners and hooking up on the hard pack. Hang on cause she will hook!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts

I'd say I'd have to agree with you if I wanted studs. I just like my seld a little loose in the turns! Aim and squeeze! hehehe

Jamie

C said:
120 down the center!!!! I'm missing 7 on my track and I have 144 staggered all over. every stud that pulled out was on the edges. All you need is down the center, then they won't pull out when you're ripping around the corners and hooking up on the hard pack. Hang on cause she will hook!!!!

[snapback]291812[/snapback]​

·
Registered
674 Posts
Decide which stud manufacturer you want to give your money to, and follow their recommended patterns. They produce and sell them for a living. Regardless of all the opinions you will get, they do know best.

·
Registered
137 Posts
144 down the middle only. That's what skidoo, woody's recommends.

·
Registered
979 Posts
donkickit said:
144 down the middle only. That's what skidoo, woody's recommends.
[snapback]295225[/snapback]​
Woodys no longer pushes for down the center only. Studs that are equallly balanced across the whole track, is better for the track, and traction/cornering.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Gen rule of thumb is 1 stud per hp. 192 seems to be a bit of an overkill. The person who owned my "High Performance Machine" before me shot a stud through the heat exchanger. It was an outer stud. When I bought the sled, studs were missing from the sides as well as the center of the track, but most of the tracks damage was caused by the outter studs pulling through and ripping the track. If i were planning on buying a track, i would get one with the holes molded into it. Drilling tends to cut cords in the track making it weak and causing them to fail. thats my 2 bits worth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mtrsprt said:
pal03246 said:
make sure you stud only in the middle.
[snapback]290348[/snapback]​
Running down the middle gains you nothing. When correctly installed, studs on the outer belt will not have any more chance pulling through, than studs installed in the center portion.

Running 192 properly installed studs, in a 130-160hp machine will give you the best hookup, and reliability.

Running in the center and outer belt, will improve cornering,braking and holeshots.

People need to get off this "Only run down the center" bandwagon.

Running an excessive amount of studs down the center, will cause the track to want to fold in the center under roational forces, causing cords in the track to weaken and possibly break. If you do decide to run down the center, run no more than 144 studs, and keep them as spread out as you can.

Cory
[snapback]290977[/snapback]​
I agree with "mttrsprt"......i ran a 98 Mach Z with 192 woodys mega bite and angled backers on outside & inside and no problems....had 6000+ miles on the track....and ran many times 114+mph.......use the new push thru with .875 heads....5/15 dia. shanks....smaller will bend our push thru.....crank shop has a nice 32 scratch line trail pattern

1 - 12 of 12 Posts