Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 mxz 600 trail. I am thinking of studding, but was told it is a real pain. I was wondering if I should attempt this myself or take it in and get it done. If I doo it myself i am told i need a special drillbit? Also what about tunnel protectors, what size studs, what kind are best, stud pattern, 96, 144, down the middle, some outside. I know alot of questions, but i am really in the dark on this one. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DOOMAN411 said:
I have an 02 mxz 600 trail. I am thinking of studding, but was told it is a real pain. I was wondering if I should attempt this myself or take it in and get it done. If I doo it myself i am told i need a special drillbit? Also what about tunnel protectors, what size studs, what kind are best, stud pattern, 96, 144, down the middle, some outside. I know alot of questions, but i am really in the dark on this one. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
[snapback]257166[/snapback]​
IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS YOURSELF I WOULD TAKE IT TO A DEALER AND HAVE THEM DO IT! I HAVE A 2003 MXZ 600 HO AND HAVE 144 RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE! HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS AND THE TRACTION IS EXCELLENT! THE TOOL NEEDED IS A SPECIAL DRILL BIT THAT IS HOLLOW! TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!! HAVE FUN!! DAVE

·
My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.
2,124 Posts
Depends on your ablity. Studding a track is not to difficult. Just mark the entire pattern on the track and double check before you cut the holes. How many studs depends on your ridding style and the type of conditions you ride on. You do need the special bit. Take your time and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
DOOMAN411 said:
[snapback]257166[/snapback]​
To stud your sled is not a real pain. You can do it your self if you have any knowledge of sleds or working with tools. The drill bit is a special one for rubber. Depending on the studs you use will depend on the bit. Fast track, stud boy and some others use a standard 5/16" bit but as i found out if you use woody's it is a differnt bit. You need woody's bit because it is a little bigger because woody's has a lip at the base that sits in the track. Easiest way to stud is remove your belt, flip your sled on the side (chaincase up) put your template on and mark all the holes first then drill. I have not found a good marking tool for the track yet. The ones they sell at dealers don't work. I thought of a white out pen but haven't looked for one yet. White paint and a small brush would work to. Depending on your riding style 144 down the center works for most, unless you are real aggressive in the corners, then you need some on the outside. Your tunnel protectors to be safe use 1". You only need one and will cut it in half. Take your mud flap off and you can get at them easy. Just bend the aluminum on the radiator and they will slide out and in with no problem. This is time consuming so set aside a few hours for this but its alot cheaper than having a dealer do it. Good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
easy to doo. if you have any basic tool know how you will do just fine. measure twice. drill three times. just kidding. ONCE only. ride doo.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When i did mine, i used a yellow paint marker to mark the holes. MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE WHOLE TRACK OUT BEFORE DRILLING ANY HOLES!!!!!

also, im not 100%, but your 02 MXZ600 should have the .888" track lug height, therefore, no bigger than 1.005" for stud height. 96 should be plenty if your not a real aggressive rider, 120 if you like to throw it around a lil more, and 144 if you constantly have the happy lever pinned. these numbers are just my personal opinion, not the general rule of thumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts