Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to stud my REV and my wifes ZL 550. I was checking out Woody's and Stud Boys web sites to get an idea of a pattern to use. Woody's site showed a pattern that had a kind of wavy pattern. Stud Boys site showed a V-shaped pattern. Which pattern is better or does it not make much difference. Also does anyone have any good tips, tricks, hints, ect. on studding my sleds.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
NewDOO_REV said:
Getting ready to stud my REV and my wifes ZL 550. I was checking out Woody's and Stud Boys web sites to get an idea of a pattern to use. Woody's site showed a pattern that had a kind of wavy pattern. Stud Boys site showed a V-shaped pattern. Which pattern is better or does it not make much difference. Also does anyone have any good tips, tricks, hints, ect. on studding my sleds.

[snapback]310870[/snapback]​
Everyone says to put 96 down the center on a Rev. That's what I did with my 600 HO. As far as stud patterns, I think you want as many scratch lines as possible. I've heard guys talk about laying out a pattern with a template and then putting the first set of studs on the marks, the second just to one side of the marks and the third just barely to the other side of the marks. I personally used a V pattern and followed the above advice. It hooks up pretty good on hard pack, but doesn't seem to help much on loose snow.

Be sure to put in the correct heat exchanger protectors.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
39 chev said:
NewDOO_REV said:

Everyone says to put 96 down the center on a Rev. That's what I did with my 600 HO. As far as stud patterns, I think you want as many scratch lines as possible. I've heard guys talk about laying out a pattern with a template and then putting the first set of studs on the marks, the second just to one side of the marks and the third just barely to the other side of the marks. I personally used a V pattern and followed the above advice. It hooks up pretty good on hard pack, but doesn't seem to help much on loose snow.

[snapback]310965[/snapback]​
Yep.....that's what I did.

Kinda started off with the Woody's pattern......144 down the center.

Offset the pattern to come up with the most scratch lines I could.

Ended up with 48 scratch lines.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Took Woodys pattern of 96 down the middle and went from there. Didnt use a template at all, just eyed each one. That way each stud is off from the other. Hooks up great on hard pack! Dont really notice a difference on soft stuff.

Matt

·
Registered
102 Posts
REV-I-DOO said:
39 chev said:
NewDOO_REV said:

[snapback]310965[/snapback]​
Yep.....that's what I did.

Kinda started off with the Woody's pattern......144 down the center.

Offset the pattern to come up with the most scratch lines I could.

Ended up with 48 scratch lines.

[snapback]310985[/snapback]​
How does your track hook up against other REV's... did you have a chance to run them yet? I have a couple of buddies who have 800 revs... 2 of them with the 1" track and the other with a special order 1 1/4" track... they all have the same amount of studs and the same length, and the guy with the 1 1/4" track gets smoked off the line... Just curious, thinking about studding my Gade track also, 136x 1 1/4" track...
Let me know

·
ChiefOgemaw
1,580 Posts
If you have a template. Mark the track with it. 96 down the center. I used a "V" or a wave pattern that ends up like a bent "X".
Then when you drill the marks out. First drill out the original marked hole "Set."
Then the next marked set, drill Outboard like 1/4"-1/2" of the marks. Then the third set, drill inboard of the marked holes 1/4"-1/2".

Gives you a bunch of different scratch lines on the ground and still looks good/ballanced.

Make sure you can put the studs in and place the backers next to each other (so they don't overlap/run into each other) on the closest center two holes that are close together. You can see on REV I DOO's pic that the two at the center of the track but against each other. You can't overlap!

Also make sure the backer don't go over your slide windows.

I have been told that they dig in better closer to the rails because your track deflects up more in the middle of the track (less down support from rails).

do a dootalk SEARCH, tons of info.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 144 (including the outer belts)V pattern Stud boys 1.375" on a 1" track. They hook up great and they work great in all conditions hard pack, ice, and loose powdery snow. I have a question to all also Why is everyone only going with up the middle only?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.